• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Institute by Stephen King

Sept 10th 2019

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Very cool. I skipped The Outsider, but this one interests me. Probably because IT is mentioned.

Comment

I came away from the synopsis with two reactions:

1). It sounds like a far more entertaining, narrative/suspense-driven storyline than some of his other recent work, and 2). It sounds very familiar, like a tale I've already read several times before over the years...in varying detail, of course, but the fundamental story is the same.

Will I pick it up? Perhaps, but I'll certainly wait for the reviews first. With perhaps three or four exceptions in my decades of reading, I don't, as a rule, re-read books; life's too short. I tell ya, between recent disappointments like DR. SLEEP and SLEEPING BEAUTIES (and others which have received mixed reviews that I haven't bothered to attempt), his distastefully snide remarks on Twitter r.e. anyone who doesn't subscribe to his political perspective, and now apparently rehashing timeworn plots, King is making it pretty easy for me these days to lack enthusiasm r.e. his new releases. I adore, admire, and cherish his early classics, and post-2000 releases like JOYLAND and 11/22/63 indicate that he still has the magic from time to time, but I can't now but help approach each new release with some wariness. We'll see if THE INSTITUTE joins that very short list of recent exceptional work, or just becomes yet another listing in his lengthy bibliography that I haven't/won't read.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I came away from the synopsis with two reactions:

1). It sounds like a far more entertaining, narrative/suspense-driven storyline than some of his other recent work, and 2). It sounds very familiar, like a tale I've already read several times before over the years...in varying detail, of course, but the fundamental story is the same.

Will I pick it up? Perhaps, but I'll certainly wait for the reviews first. With perhaps three or four exceptions in my decades of reading, I don't, as a rule, re-read books; life's too short. I tell ya, between recent disappointments like DR. SLEEP and SLEEPING BEAUTIES (and others which have received mixed reviews that I haven't bothered to attempt), his distastefully snide remarks on Twitter r.e. anyone who doesn't subscribe to his political perspective, and now apparently rehashing timeworn plots, King is making it pretty easy for me these days to lack enthusiasm r.e. his new releases. I adore, admire, and cherish his early classics, and post-2000 releases like JOYLAND and 11/22/63 indicate that he still has the magic from time to time, but I can't now but help approach each new release with some wariness. We'll see if THE INSTITUTE joins that very short list of recent exceptional work, or just becomes yet another listing in his lengthy bibliography that I haven't/won't read.
        I really liked Sleeping Beauties (obnoxious self-flagellating white-male-cis-guilt aside).

Comment

I am really looking forward to this one as well. I too agree that the synopsis sounds familiar to other books I've read; however, that won't stop me from picking up a copy. I for one have liked most of his newer books. While they may never reach the status of some of his earlier works that we all grew up with and love, I think they are worth a read and have never regretted a purchase. I finally got around to reading his newest "Elevation" and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

Comment

I will buy this day of release and be reading it shortly after I have it.

Comment

I just ordered a copy with the slipcase. It sounds good, and even if the subject matter has been covered a lot, you know SK's take on it will be worth reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                I just ordered a copy with the slipcase. It sounds good, and even if the subject matter has been covered a lot, you know SK's take on it will be worth reading.
                Where is the slipcase mentioned? Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  I really liked Sleeping Beauties (obnoxious self-flagellating white-male-cis-guilt aside).
                  Sounds like a skip for me.
                  Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

The Institute reminds me of Firestarter, Everything's Eventual, and Dr. Sleep - I am hopeful.
                    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      Where is the slipcase mentioned? Cap
                      It was a CDCC offer today. I would expect it to go out the general email list soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        It was a CDCC offer today. I would expect it to go out the general email list soon.
                        Yes, I saw that email once I was awake again. Then I said Doh!

Cap
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Sounds okay but covered ground. I wonder why he didn't tie this back into The Shop? I like the page count and am a bit more interested in this then anything in the last few years.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                            Sounds like a skip for me.
                            Yeah it gets ridiculous in spots--all men are evil and helpless and hopeless. But I like the story. I wanted to know how it turned out. I'm very forgiving of King works. Even when he gets preachy and tries to shame me for shit I never did--and would never do. The only King book I hated and thought was a waste of my time was Revival. That's because the characters were completely undeveloped. Cardboard cutouts.

Comment

I loved Revival and thought it was a great story. Funny how things speak differently to the individual.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                              Yeah it gets ridiculous in spots--all men are evil and helpless and hopeless. But I like the story. I wanted to know how it turned out. I'm very forgiving of King works. Even when he gets preachy and tries to shame me for shit I never did--and would never do. The only King book I hated and thought was a waste of my time was Revival. That's because the characters were completely undeveloped. Cardboard cutouts.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                              X