Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Elevation coming October 30th 2018

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24

    Elevation coming October 30th 2018

    Looks like Mr. Kings next Castle Rock Novella will be out this fall.

    http://www.simonandschuster.com/book.../9781982102319

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,677
    Rep Power
    13
    Interesting! Seems very different from what Steve usually writes. I recall he panned Bachman's BLAZE as a "three hanky weeper" and a book he should have left in the trunk. I liked BLAZE. This book seems to be similar in tone if not content.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Interesting! Seems very different from what Steve usually writes. I recall he panned Bachman's BLAZE as a "three hanky weeper" and a book he should have left in the trunk. I liked BLAZE. This book seems to be similar in tone if not content.
    Interesting take, I did not think Blaze when I read the synopsis. More current social commentary which I think King does pretty regularly but probably a little more obvious than he often does.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    9
    I think you both may be correct on this -- the tone may be the same, while the commentary different. Should be a pretty good story given the times.

    I also wonder: did we essentially receive the release date for the Castle Rock Hulu show at the same time? Really looking forward to that. Hopefully it is Hulu's partial answer to Stranger Things. (I say partial because since it won't center on younger characters, it's not exactly the same in terms of marketability; it will have a different feel to it.)

  5. #5
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,786
    Rep Power
    28
    I don't usually post announcements for other publisher's books, but since there's a thread for this one already I'll post a link in here. As is often the case we're selling this book as well, and we're producing a slipcase for it. You can find that here:

    http://www.cemeterydance.com/elevati...eid=a711291b78
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ123 View Post
    I think you both may be correct on this -- the tone may be the same, while the commentary different. Should be a pretty good story given the times.

    I also wonder: did we essentially receive the release date for the Castle Rock Hulu show at the same time? Really looking forward to that. Hopefully it is Hulu's partial answer to Stranger Things. (I say partial because since it won't center on younger characters, it's not exactly the same in terms of marketability; it will have a different feel to it.)
    I have heard summer 2018 for Castle Rock so hopefully it will air before this book is released.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have heard summer 2018 for Castle Rock so hopefully it will air before this book is released.
    Thanks for that info. Looking forward to it. Summer should be a good period for the show...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    While all the focus is on the pending release of 'The Outsider' Simon and Schuster is released some additional information on Elevation. First time I have heard a comparison to It's A Wonderful Life regarding a King story.

    From: http://www.simonandschuster.com/book.../9781982102319


    Elevation
    By Stephen King

    Set in the fictional town of Castle Rock, Maine

    The latest from legendary master storyteller Stephen King, a riveting, extraordinarily eerie, and moving story about a man whose mysterious affliction brings a small town together—a timely, upbeat tale about finding common ground despite deep-rooted differences.

    Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

    In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face–including his own—he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

    From Stephen King, our “most precious renewable resource, like Shakespeare in the malleability of his work” (The Guardian), Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, as gloriously joyful (with a twinge of deep sadness) as “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Stephen King announced today that he will be narrating the audio for this one.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,861
    Rep Power
    63
    Not sure how I feel about reading this one any time soon. I have it but the reviews I have read say it's his worst book in years. I hear he really let's his political beliefs run the story. I don't mind some of that in a story but I read to get away from that stuff. Interested in what some forum members have thought of this if they have read it yet or are reading it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    951
    Rep Power
    9
    My copy arrived yesterday (along with my complete Batman the Animated Series Blu-ray and a gorgeous Charles Vess illustrated edition of Le Guin’s Earthsea stories) but still have quite a few other books ahead of it in my TBR pile.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about reading this one any time soon. I have it but the reviews I have read say it's his worst book in years. I hear he really let's his political beliefs run the story. I don't mind some of that in a story but I read to get away from that stuff. Interested in what some forum members have thought of this if they have read it yet or are reading it.
    I read it today. I do not think it is overly political but deals strongly with kindness. Some will disagree with my view as it does deal with homosexuality and acceptance of others lifestyles. Some stories try to deliver a subtle message with a sledge hammer, I did not feel that here. Although I enjoyed the story it left me wanting more out of it. Overall I enjoyed it but did not love it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,508
    Rep Power
    13
    Either way I'm looking forward to reading this. Need to swing by Target or the dreaded Wally World and pick up a copy.

    Even books like UTD, which to me was heavy handed in political viewpoints, wasn't the detractor from that book. It was the story that killed it for me.

    At 144 pages I can understand wanting more. It just barely gets into the range of what is considered a novel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I read it today. I do not think it is overly political but deals strongly with kindness. Some will disagree with my view as it does deal with homosexuality and acceptance of others lifestyles. Some stories try to deliver a subtle message with a sledge hammer, I did not feel that here. Although I enjoyed the story it left me wanting more out of it. Overall I enjoyed it but did not love it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Either way I'm looking forward to reading this. Need to swing by Target or the dreaded Wally World and pick up a copy.

    Even books like UTD, which to me was heavy handed in political viewpoints, wasn't the detractor from that book. It was the story that killed it for me.

    At 144 pages I can understand wanting more. It just barely gets into the range of what is considered a novel.
    Under The Dome is a prime example of a novel being overtly political. I also agree with you, the politics didn't ruin that book, the completely useless ending did. Elevation focuses on being kind and treating people with respect, not political differences.

  16. #16
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,786
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    At 144 pages I can understand wanting more. It just barely gets into the range of what is considered a novel.
    I'm pretty sure the only reason that tacked the phrase "A Novel" on the book was because the masses have no idea what a "novella" is.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  17. #17
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only reason that tacked the phrase "A Novel" on the book was because the masses have no idea what a "novella" is.
    The 144 pages was in a mini book format as well. In a regular size book it would probably run about 100 pages. Defiantly a novella, about a three hour read.

  18. #18
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,619
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only reason that tacked the phrase "A Novel" on the book was because the masses have no idea what a "novella" is.
    Yeah, expect a lot of low reviews on Amazon simply because people will say "I wanted a novel, not a short story!" Sigh...
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Yeah, expect a lot of low reviews on Amazon simply because people will say "I wanted a novel, not a short story!" Sigh...
    And people who don't read it complaining about King's politics.

  20. #20
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,619
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    And people who don't read it complaining about King's politics.
    Oh yeah, that too. I really think the "political" message of the book was "be kind to everyone regardless of your perceived differences" but I know some people will take it the wrong way without even reading the book because of the nature of the couple involved...

    Don't want to say too much, even though it isn't really a spoiler, but I know some readers don't even read the sales copy so they go in completely blank on what the book will be about!

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •