Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you Kindle?

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar

Do you Kindle?

i've been getting the itch to get a Kindle -the only thing I've read is the Kindle-related story by Stephen King. I read it on my iPad.

I'm not sure I read enough "mass market" books to justify a Kindle. Only books I seem to buy these days are from publishers such as CD - and I can't get those books on Kindle, at least I dont think I can...

You know what would be cool? If REAL books came with some type of unique one-use code that could be entered or scanned that granted an electronic version as well - kinda like the DVDs that come with a mobile version for your ipod.

Anyway, just wondering if my fellow printed media afficionados have moved to any eReader...

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    I read most of my books on a tablet, Galaxy Tab to be exact. I still buy the hardcover's in most cases, but it's really just nice to be able to take more than one book with you when you go places, and with the kindle software if I don't have my tablet I can read them off my phone, it's really nice if you find yourself waiting somewhere for something.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I own the B&N Nook. I absolutely ADORE it. All your books on one handheld = AMAZING.

Banned Visitor
    chantal, arent you supposed to be working?

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of my Kindle -- it's especially nice for reading submissions!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).

Member Part-timer
    When I'm giving plasma and only have one hand I use my Cooler reader I got from QVC. It is super lightweight which I like. Currently reading The Passage. At home I'm reading about 7 books depending on what room I'm in :-)

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    I use the Kindle app on my Droid phone and PC. I primarily use it to read short stories. The reason is, like Dan mentioned above, that it is a great way to lose track of time when you are waiting for something. CD did offer a few eBooks a while back but I am not sure if they are still available.

I don't kindle or nook or read on an ipad. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old fashioned book.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).
    I agree 100% There is nothing better than holding the physical book and reading a great story! LONG LIVE THE PRINTED BOOK!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I agree with RJK1981 and Pixie.....plus my eyes hurt reading on a screen for an extended amount of time.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I use the kindle for one publisher that I get the kindle version with my LT deal. I like having the kidle version, but I would never want "just" an ebook version of something.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Put me in the group that doesn't Kindle, Nook, Schnook, or Swindle. A good book is as much a pleasure to hold as to read. I have a few e-books, but after 3 minutes of reading on my computer i lost interest. I had to print them out, 3-ring them and then read them.

I read The Painted Darkness only after I printed it out--I need to get the book, it's that good. I was really annoyed that Brian Hodge's end notes to Picking the Bones was only on-line.

I am against book burning, but I'd be up for an All-American Kindle Smash if anyone's interested!!!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    My girlfriend loves her Nook, but I can't read a book unless I am holding it physically in my hands. One of the biggest reasons is I love to own hardcovers and see them on my shelf. But also, my eyes hurt after trying to read for long periods of time on a screen.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    I am a total bibliophile-I LOVE everything about books! But I do love the Nook Color I got for Christmas this year. I like the fact that I can just download a book and read it right away. Bookstores are getting hard to come by so I order almost everything online. I have found a compromise, I still buy the books by all my favorite authors, but if I am just bumming around for something to read or trying someone new, I get it on the Nook. If I really enjoy the read, I order the book. If I don't enjoy it, then it doesn't take up room on my overflowing bookshelves.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed misery chastain loves co.'s Avatar
    I always said to myself "I will NEVER get one of these! bah humbug!" but then a friend bought me one for Christmas and now I cant imagine being without it! I literally have no more room for my books so this certainly comes in handy for storage purposes. There are some great finds in the kindle store that you cant find in printed form(especially for horror nuts like me) for pretty cheap! You can also put a TON on there. While I still enjoy books on the shelf and will continue to buy every Stephen King hardcover that ever comes out, I am proud to be a member on the kindle bandwagon

I've owned my e-reader (Sony) for almost three years. It's a little worse for wear -- my dog chewed off the leather cover and decorated the edges of the reader with puppy teeth marks -- but still going strong.

My eyes are easily strained reading a back lit screen, like a computer or Ipad. Most (all?) e-readers use a technology which does not require back lighting. It is no harder on the eyes than a paperback. The print size can also be adjusted.

For me, it has not replaced print books. If anything, I buy more print books these days.

I can download and read pdf's on the e-reader, saving me eye strain and/or printing costs.

Many books are not available in any format except electronic.

It is easier to take a selection of books on vacation.

However, I still prefer print books for several reasons:

1) I can lend them without having to pass over my e-reader.
    2) I like to flip back and forth while reading -- not easily done with the e-reader
    3) If my dozen or so bookcases become redundant, I will have to paint the walls behind them.

Katherine

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to get one - I find that I usualyl only buy hard cover books these days and I don't like to take them to the pool or on the boat. Seems an ereader is the solution.

Junior Member Visitor
    I'm not against the Kindle or Nook or what have you, but I prefer the tactile sense of touching the book. Also, the smell of a fresh book (or even a moldy old one) is so evocative of the reading experience for me. Plus, the sensation of physically turning the page to get to find out what happens next is so great. I mean, I still watch movies in bed, but it's not the same as literally being brought to the edge of your seat in a movie theater. I'm sure I'll try an e-reader someday though, and probably get a lot out of it.

Junior Member Visitor
    Yes! I love the benefits of the kindle over the iPad. Specifically 30 day battery life.