Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you Kindle?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar

Do you Kindle?

i've been getting the itch to get a Kindle -the only thing I've read is the Kindle-related story by Stephen King. I read it on my iPad.

I'm not sure I read enough "mass market" books to justify a Kindle. Only books I seem to buy these days are from publishers such as CD - and I can't get those books on Kindle, at least I dont think I can...

You know what would be cool? If REAL books came with some type of unique one-use code that could be entered or scanned that granted an electronic version as well - kinda like the DVDs that come with a mobile version for your ipod.

Anyway, just wondering if my fellow printed media afficionados have moved to any eReader...

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    I read most of my books on a tablet, Galaxy Tab to be exact. I still buy the hardcover's in most cases, but it's really just nice to be able to take more than one book with you when you go places, and with the kindle software if I don't have my tablet I can read them off my phone, it's really nice if you find yourself waiting somewhere for something.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour hamount's Avatar
    I prefer to read regular books, though I don't have an ebook reader yet I'll probably end up getting one. I read too much to take enough books when I go on vacation.
    www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Junior Member Visitor
    I recently got a Kindle as a present. At first, I found the reading experience odd and off-putting -- it just didn't "feel" enough like reading a book. The reading experience just seemed "off" in some indescribable way. Then I went ahead and purchased a Kindle cover, and that makes all the difference. There are four snug elastic straps that keep the kindle itself in place, and the cover gives it much more of a "reading a book" tactile experience. For those curious, here's a link to the cover I purchased...(the one I got was brown, not pink, but it has a similar design) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Cushing View Post
    I recently got a Kindle as a present. At first, I found the reading experience odd and off-putting -- it just didn't "feel" enough like reading a book. The reading experience just seemed "off" in some indescribable way. Then I went ahead and purchased a Kindle cover, and that makes all the difference. There are four snug elastic straps that keep the kindle itself in place, and the cover gives it much more of a "reading a book" tactile experience. For those curious, here's a link to the cover I purchased...(the one I got was brown, not pink, but it has a similar design) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/
    Hey, that's a really cool looking Kindle cover!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Freeman View Post
    Hey, that's a really cool looking Kindle cover!

Brian
    Thanks...I really, really love it. It really does make all the difference in the world.

I own the B&N Nook. I absolutely ADORE it. All your books on one handheld = AMAZING.

Banned Visitor
    chantal, arent you supposed to be working?

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of my Kindle -- it's especially nice for reading submissions!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Member Part-timer
    When I'm giving plasma and only have one hand I use my Cooler reader I got from QVC. It is super lightweight which I like. Currently reading The Passage. At home I'm reading about 7 books depending on what room I'm in :-)

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).

Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).
    I agree 100% There is nothing better than holding the physical book and reading a great story! LONG LIVE THE PRINTED BOOK!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I have the Kindle app on my Droid. I download free stuff from Amazon all the time, but I've also purchased a couple titles. You can't beat it for convenience. I'll always buy books (next purchase is the last title in the Repairman Jack series), but I just can't beat the convenience of having something to read no matter where I am right on my phone.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    I use the Kindle app on my Droid phone and PC. I primarily use it to read short stories. The reason is, like Dan mentioned above, that it is a great way to lose track of time when you are waiting for something. CD did offer a few eBooks a while back but I am not sure if they are still available.

I don't kindle or nook or read on an ipad. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old fashioned book.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie View Post
    I don't kindle or nook or read on an ipad. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old fashioned book.
    so do I but they can be a real pain. I'm turning into my grandpa who bought all sorts of things but never took them out of the box to keep them "mint". I find myself doing that now with books - i dont want to take them to the boat, on a plane, by the pool, or in the tub b/c i might mess them up. OCD? perhaps.
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    so do I but they can be a real pain. I'm turning into my grandpa who bought all sorts of things but never took them out of the box to keep them "mint". I find myself doing that now with books - i dont want to take them to the boat, on a plane, by the pool, or in the tub b/c i might mess them up. OCD? perhaps.
    You know, I've often wondered why there are some things I want to keep crisp, and what I've decided is that it reminds me of that feeling of when I was a kid and went to the toy store or the comic shop and OH MY GOSH they've got the exact G.I.JOE/TRANSFORMER/THUNDERCAT/ETC. I was looking for! It's that feeling of holding a piece of that WONDERFUL OTHER that gels with your soul (hey, I was a kid, Transformers gelled with my soul). And the more bumps or scratches you get in it, the more it becomes a piece of you, rather than a piece of that OTHER. Am I making any sense? Having said that, I tend to accidentally scuff my stuff pretty well, so there are few books or prints or what-have-you that are in great shape, and for the most part I don't worry about it. But I love 'em all the same.

i just bought a kindle.

think i may buy some story for it called Red Rover - sounds like a good read
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    i just bought a kindle.

think i may buy some story for it called Red Rover - sounds like a good read
    WHOA! Just saw this! THANKS, BROTHER!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I agree with RJK1981 and Pixie.....plus my eyes hurt reading on a screen for an extended amount of time.