Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 215

Thread: Ron Clinton's notable Tweet brags...

  1. #161
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Richard Chizmar’s debut HC collection (Gauntlet Press, 1996):

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...718490624?s=21

  2. #162
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,667
    Rep Power
    52
    Love the cover on that one!

  3. #163
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Love the cover on that one!
    It’s a good one...back when Gauntlet used original art rather than the unfortunate digital clip art they use now.

  4. #164
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Signed/limited T.E.D. Klein collection from Subterranean Press:

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...693644800?s=21

  5. #165
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Signed 1st HC of Michelle Paver’s wonderful and chilling DARK MATTER:

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...128060416?s=21

  6. #166
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Itís a good one...back when Gauntlet used original art rather than the unfortunate digital clip art they use now.
    They can be pretty painful... as shallow as it sounds, that's part of what has driven me away from buying some of their books.

  7. #167
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    They can be pretty painful... as shallow as it sounds, that's part of what has driven me away from buying some of their books.
    Not shallow at all...they aren’t selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because it’s simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of — and buyer’s incentive for — a limited edition.

  8. #168
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Not shallow at all...they aren’t selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because it’s simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of — and buyer’s incentive for — a limited edition.
    I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).

  9. #169
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).
    I swear I had half that film memorized back in the day. I used to be a big fan of Gauntlet and love the older volumes I have...but based on a couple recent experiences and what I see advertised on-line it’s now for whatever reason(s) just a different press, which is a shame.

    Today’s Showcase Book: a 1st signed HC of Iain Banks’ THE WASP FACTORY:

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...092222976?s=21

  10. #170
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).
    I own all of the Bradbury titles that gauntlet put out, bought them years ago, couldn't afford what people as asking for them now, however I purchased a set from them last year and I was terribly disappointed. I won't be buying from them in the future.

  11. #171
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I own all of the Bradbury titles that gauntlet put out, bought them years ago, couldn't afford what people as asking for them now, however I purchased a set from them last year and I was terribly disappointed. I won't be buying from them in the future.
    Don’t know which set that was, but if it was the Matheson BEARDLESS WARRIORS set, that was for a variety of reasons the only limited books I’ve ever returned (to Camelot) in 30+ years of collecting for a refund.

  12. #172
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Don’t know which set that was, but if it was the Matheson BEARDLESS WARRIORS set, that was for a variety of reasons the only limited books I’ve ever returned (to Camelot) in 30+ years of collecting for a refund.
    That was it, no slipcase as advertised, and shoddy work all the way around.

  13. #173
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    no slipcase as advertised, and shoddy work all the way around.
    Bingo on both points. Really disappointing, too, as I was really looking forward to that set...what missed potential.

  14. #174
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Not shallow at all...they arenít selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because itís simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of ó and buyerís incentive for ó a limited edition.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.

  15. #175
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.
    I bought their lettered Rusty Puppy and the DJ art was poor and the paper stock they used was more fitting for a cheap dimestore paperback. Really low quality for what's supposed to be a deluxe edition.

  16. #176
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I bought their lettered Rusty Puppy and the DJ art was poor and the paper stock they used was more fitting for a cheap dimestore paperback. Really low quality for what's supposed to be a deluxe edition.
    I bought the "Legend Trilogy" by Marie Lu, the three lettered editions at half-price. Very satisfied. They run many newsletter sales so it does pay to sign up and it's free.

  17. #177
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.
    Yes, I've nothing negative at all to say about Barry personally...I've been dealing with him for many, many years with any problem at all and find him personable and accomodating. I just wish his recent releases were more reflective of the quality Gauntlet used to produce, that's all.

  18. #178
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21

  19. #179
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21
    Congratulations!! You deserve it!

  20. #180
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,667
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21
    Congrats, Ron!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •