Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Suntup Press - Fourth Book

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Early sketch of the NRB edition of 'Salem's Lot.

31562344_1997469527172009_544046595465805824_n.jpg

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yes it was NRB and it was 'Salem's Lot. I bought TWO King boxes. I saw early design sketches for the front boards. And I will never see the actual books. I don't believe it was a con. Even with the promise of the signature. I think Vincent was super ambitious. Maybe something of an adrenaline junkie who had a gambler's spirit and played fast and loose with the process hoping shit would just magically come together when he needed it to. He risked it all and lost it all. And it didn't help that he was a hot head who borderline abused collectors and customers who complained. It was a mess and I'm out $150. I'll see if I can find those designs . . .
    You lost money on the NRB closure? My bank issued me full refunds.

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You lost money on the NRB closure? My bank issued me full refunds.
    Yep. I asked for a refund from my CC and even sent them the emails where Vincent was explicitly saying he would issue refunds and I never saw a credit to my account. I did give up looking, so maybe it snuck in there at some point. But I never saw it. $150 lesson.

Vincent's (parent's) next venture Horror Bees also dissolved.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Honestly I think the whole "Blind Box" thing is a slowly dying fad anyways. Even the juggernaut Loot Crate has had to make some major changes to their boxes in the past 2 years to keep it relevant. NRB was kinda late to the game in that respect.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Honestly I think the whole "Blind Box" thing is a slowly dying fad anyways. Even the juggernaut Loot Crate has had to make some major changes to their boxes in the past 2 years to keep it relevant. NRB was kinda late to the game in that respect.
    That never interested me because I don't want to spend money and "hope" I like what someone else picks out. Seems too risky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yep. I asked for a refund from my CC and even sent them the emails where Vincent was explicitly saying he would issue refunds and I never saw a credit to my account. I did give up looking, so maybe it snuck in there at some point. But I never saw it. $150 lesson.

Vincent's (parent's) next venture Horror Bees also dissolved.
    My bank issued a provisional credit within 3 days and about a month later sent a letter saying I would not be charged. You may want to follow-up with your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    That never interested me because I don't want to spend money and "hope" I like what someone else picks out. Seems too risky to me.
    There's that, but also they are often just padded out with junk. Pins, stickers, patches, stuff you don't really need or even normally want. Loot Crate used to be really bad about it. They'd give you like 15 thins in a box, but all but 1 or 2 things would be junk you'd probably end up just throwing away. They've really paired it down to being 1 or 2 "filler items" and 3 or 4 bigger ticket items. Usually a vinyl figure, a t-shirt, and something else. Honestly it's kinda why we've scaled back on that type of stuff for the CDCC, because most people didn't really care about it at all.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

There's that, but also they are often just padded out with junk. Pins, stickers, patches, stuff you don't really need or even normally want. Loot Crate used to be really bad about it. They'd give you like 15 thins in a box, but all but 1 or 2 things would be junk you'd probably end up just throwing away. They've really paired it down to being 1 or 2 "filler items" and 3 or 4 bigger ticket items. Usually a vinyl figure, a t-shirt, and something else. Honestly it's kinda why we've scaled back on that type of stuff for the CDCC, because most people didn't really care about it at all.
    I joined NRB for Gwendy's and enjoyed it enough to stick around until their demise. The first 8 to 10 months the trinkets were nice. As things went south the quality went down to the point I probably would have cancelled if they had not folded.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I joined NRB for Gwendy's and enjoyed it enough to stick around until their demise. The first 8 to 10 months the trinkets were nice. As things went south the quality went down to the point I probably would have cancelled if they had not folded.
    My points aren't really in reference to NRB specifically, just "subscription boxes" as a whole. Trinkets are good and all until they aren't or you have too many of them. Also usually when the budget is tight on a box, the trinkets are the first things to drop in quality.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    My points aren't really in reference to NRB specifically, just "subscription boxes" as a whole. Trinkets are good and all until they aren't or you have too many of them. Also usually when the budget is tight on a box, the trinkets are the first things to drop in quality.
    I'm not a trinket guy at all so these boxes never have held an interest to me. I purchased their GBB after the fact although it probably would have been cheaper to just go with that one box. I almost bit on 'Salem's Lot but held off, thank goodness. I liked the things that CD was doing with the CDCC and didn't consider them trinkets. But, I'm still happy with the way they chose to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I'm not a trinket guy at all so these boxes never have held an interest to me. I purchased their GBB after the fact although it probably would have been cheaper to just go with that one box. I almost bit on 'Salem's Lot but held off, thank goodness. I liked the things that CD was doing with the CDCC and didn't consider them trinkets. But, I'm still happy with the way they chose to go.
    We're way off topic for this thread, but some of the stuff we did weren't really trinkets (mugs, shirts, hats). But some of the other stuff was kinda trinkety stuff (koozies, book lights, magnetic bookmarks, keychains, I think we did a foam boomerang thing one year).

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    We're way off topic for this thread, but some of the stuff we did weren't really trinkets (mugs, shirts, hats). But some of the other stuff was kinda trinkety stuff (koozies, book lights, magnetic bookmarks, keychains, I think we did a foam boomerang thing one year).
    Agree with the derail. What was the title of Paul's next book again

Spoiler!

I still have that boomerang.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I’m the same way... I buy the books I want to begin with, and my TBR pile is already too towering to need a bunch of books I either am not familiar with and selected by folks who may not share my particular taste in fiction, or am familiar with but have decided to pass on. I’m also not a big fan of trinkets in general, as it already feels like I have too much crap/stuff to manage and store...so these type of subscription boxes are definitely not for me.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    I have been more selective with my book purchases the last few years. I no longer feel the need to own every signed limited edition that CD or Sub Press or any small press publishes. This book is a masterpiece in my opinion and one of my favorite books. So I am happy to be getting this beautiful edition.