Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Press - Fourth Book

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    It was a pretty tough call for me. I really wanted a matching numbered set. It sucks.
    You are already deep enough in to give you pause. Hill House gave me pause, once I resisted that this one is easy.

Junior Member Visitor
    And... Why is not there a Artist Gift Edition? What might be the reason now?

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    I love this book but not at this price. Looks like this is going to be a beautiful edition. For those who are buying it congratulations in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellantoys View Post
    And... Why is not there a Artist Gift Edition? What might be the reason now?
    Some of the contracts don't allow for them.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Some of the contracts don't allow for them.
    Paul had stated he was not permitted to release a Gift edition of Hill House. I assumed this was the same situation.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    I have to tap out too. No doubt it's gorgeous and worth every penny. But I have three kids and one income and I just can't keep playing in the above $500 league. I'd be down for an artist edition. This grieves me to surrender my number, but I have no choice.
    That sucks, Jeff but you're doing right by your family. When Paul started the DRE, I had to bow out due to being laid off my job shortly after. That really sucked then and still sucks to this day. But, like yourself, it was the right call at the time. I know you were super excited to be on the non-King track.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That sucks, Jeff but you're doing right by your family. When Paul started the DRE, I had to bow out due to being laid off my job shortly after. That really sucked then and still sucks to this day. But, like yourself, it was the right call at the time. I know you were super excited to be on the non-King track.
    Yeah and the book looks fantastic. Had this book been in the $400 range and the next one was $700, then maybe I would have talked myself into it, but it seems the price is going to be around here going forward (maybe?) and I just can't commit to that long term. I'm thrilled to have two editions of Horns coming my way. And congratulations to all who get this one and maintain their number!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I cannot wait to see how these turn out. Paul is passionate and talented about his publications so I'm sure these will be beautiful.

I am happy and content to see the sexy photos of each of his books as people receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I cannot wait to see how these turn out. Paul is passionate and talented about his publications so I'm sure these will be beautiful.

I am happy and content to see the sexy photos of each of his books as people receive them.
    I'll be cheering from the sidelines as well.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Yeah and the book looks fantastic. Had this book been in the $400 range and the next one was $700, then maybe I would have talked myself into it, but it seems the price is going to be around here going forward (maybe?) and I just can't commit to that long term. I'm thrilled to have two editions of Horns coming my way. And congratulations to all who get this one and maintain their number!
    Unimaginable how a single book is 700$+. It's tough to cough up such amounts. Might have been easier if he published a few more books and kept the book price lower. Ah well I guess some people do want the extreme limitation or maybe it has something to do with the contract.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Unimaginable how a single book is 700$+. It's tough to cough up such amounts. Might have been easier if he published a few more books and kept the book price lower. Ah well I guess some people do want the extreme limitation or maybe it has something to do with the contract.
    I know that this topic has been discussed at length over on TDT, but Paul's books are definitely a step, maybe two steps, above what the rest of the small publisher world is doing, and the quality is definitely worth the price.

Now saying that, there's no way I can justify spending that much money on a single book - at what seems like a two book per year release schedule. Especially for a book or author I've never read before. (I was tempted for Hill House, but after reading the book for the first time, I'm glad I didn't spend the money. Similar with Rosemary's Baby - I've never read the book, or seen the movie, just know the name.) I've bought so many blind purchases from CD and SubPress and Centipede, that I can't do it, especially when it's $700.

I can't enjoy the Bentley lifestyle on my 1988 S-10 budget . . .

Those of you who can and did - congrats! I'm sure it'll be spectacular! And I'm jealous.

I'm not going to get into what Paul should do to lower his prices. I'm not even going to say that Paul should lower his prices. He's said before that the book determines the materials and materials dictates the price. He's creating books at a certain level and for those who can afford them, they are treasures. There's a reason that the numbered and lettered of Horns have sold out and the AGE hasn't yet--people want Paul's best. That's his customer base. I'd hate to see him lower the quality in order to lower the price. That would be the complete wrong move.

Anyway, I'll always be a Suntup fan and his books are worth what he charges and I will buy whatever I can afford at every opportunity.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I'm not going to get into what Paul should do to lower his prices. I'm not even going to say that Paul should lower his prices. He's said before that the book determines the materials and materials dictates the price. He's creating books at a certain level and for those who can afford them, they are treasures. There's a reason that the numbered and lettered of Horns have sold out and the AGE hasn't yet--people want Paul's best. That's his customer base. I'd hate to see him lower the quality in order to lower the price. That would be the complete wrong move.

Anyway, I'll always be a Suntup fan and his books are worth what he charges and I will buy whatever I can afford at every opportunity.
    Wasn't saying to lower the quality. What i was saying is what I keep seeing sub press doing. 500 books for 80$ each, 1000 books for 40$ and so on. Yes that does decrease the "limited"ness of the book i completely agree. I wasn't even saying to double the book count, if he offered say 50 books more, perhaps the price could be a bit lower... Oh well, it's whoever thinks the book is worth it, they will buy it, since there will always be fans of an author.

I feel Paul is doing fantastic. Are all of his books for me, no. But I am ok with that.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Wasn't saying to lower the quality. What i was saying is what I keep seeing sub press doing. 500 books for 80$ each, 1000 books for 40$ and so on. Yes that does decrease the "limited"ness of the book i completely agree. I wasn't even saying to double the book count, if he offered say 50 books more, perhaps the price could be a bit lower... Oh well, it's whoever thinks the book is worth it, they will buy it, since there will always be fans of an author.
    For what it's worth 50 books wouldn't be enough to change the price all that much. Honestly I think with the type of product he's making 250 or 1000 he'd probably have to price it really similarly. It's just he wouldn't be able to sell 1000 at that price point.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I hear you. Trust me, I'd love for more Suntups to be on my shelf. The same way I'd love to have a Mercedes SUV in my driveway. There's a reason I have an Artist Edition of The Stand preordered from Cemetery Dance and not the lettered edition, I'm just not a collector at that level. And either I'm ok with that or I'm broke. Because there are so many incredible books that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I feel Paul is doing fantastic. Are all of his books for me, no. But I am ok with that.
    I disagree with you on one point--all his books are for me!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I know that this topic has been discussed at length over on TDT, but Paul's books are definitely a step, maybe two steps, above what the rest of the small publisher world is doing, and the quality is definitely worth the price.

Now saying that, there's no way I can justify spending that much money on a single book - at what seems like a two book per year release schedule. Especially for a book or author I've never read before. (I was tempted for Hill House, but after reading the book for the first time, I'm glad I didn't spend the money. Similar with Rosemary's Baby - I've never read the book, or seen the movie, just know the name.) I've bought so many blind purchases from CD and SubPress and Centipede, that I can't do it, especially when it's $700.

I can't enjoy the Bentley lifestyle on my 1988 S-10 budget . . .

Those of you who can and did - congrats! I'm sure it'll be spectacular! And I'm jealous.
    Although you don't need the book at this price to enjoy it, Jason, you should pick up a beat up copy of the book at some point. It's a great read and probably one, if not the best, adaptation of a novel to screen.

I'll apologize in advance but there's no way in hell you can compare a $40, $80, etc book to Paul's press. What you're getting from these other small presses are basically a "better" trade edition at that price point. Furthermore, I find it annoying and tacky that each time Paul releases a book, some folks get all up in the air over the price. Paul's books will always be at this price point or higher. That's not going to change, ever. It's unfortunate that Paul wasn't able to offer an AGE this time. No doubt he would have if you could have. It's also unfortunate that not everyone can afford his books. There was a time that I couldn't afford them as well. But don't begrudge those that can or choose to pay the asking price. I'm sure plenty of more folks can afford it and choose not to make a purchase.

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    This isn't directed at anyone, but just a reminder to keep things respectful, please.

The price of this "kind" of Limited Edition is always a topic of discussion and that's very understandable. Expensive things are interesting to discuss! Beautiful books are interesting to discuss! Thus, beautiful expensive books are very interesting. At least if you're one of the maniacs who hangs out in places like this!

For anyone who wonders "where the money goes," I've priced out the specs on books like this. To do them right, the way Paul does, isn't cheap. Tons of hand-labor. Lots of custom-made pieces.

I've also done the cost analysis on scaling up a print run to lower the price point, and that is really easy to do with a traditionally manufactured book for sure... You run the risk of printing more copies than you can sell, of course, if the lower price doesn't attract enough customers to buy those additional copies.

But for books that have so much hand labor, customized features, exotic material, etc... scaling up doesn't put nearly the dent in the retail price as you would expect. ("Wow, that hand-woven cloth from India is $50,000 for the amount I need, but if I double the size of the order that'll be...$98,000." or "These hand-made cases cost $915 each for 30, but if have 60 made it'll be $905 each...")

Just my two cents from having run specs for 300+ books ranging from trade editions to $3000 Lettered Editions over the past 16 years.

Best,
    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    This is all I have to say about that...“To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser.”
    Robertson Davies. LOL!!