Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 873

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

  1. #281
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    11
    I'd compare Paul's books more to Charnel House than any other small press I know of. Charnel House publishes a lot of Dean Koontz and Tim Powers books, but the only book I've ever bought from them was the numbered edition of this one, which, if I remember correctly, was still around $600 even with a discount back in 2011 - https://charnelhouse.com/product/the...arlan-ellison/

  2. #282
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    Agreed. I think of Charnel House in regards to market comparison as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I'd compare Paul's books more to Charnel House than any other small press I know of. Charnel House publishes a lot of Dean Koontz and Tim Powers books, but the only book I've ever bought from them was the numbered edition of this one, which, if I remember correctly, was still around $600 even with a discount back in 2011 - https://charnelhouse.com/product/the...arlan-ellison/

  3. #283
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    4
    BJF, thanks for the insight. Reading the descriptions of the 2 Suntup Rosemary's Baby editions, it would be tough to see how they could be priced much lower.

    I'm curious about the decision not to do 3rd tier/"Artist Gift Editions" for The Haunting Of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby; I wonder if the need to sell a higher quantity (which was 1,000 for Horns and 1,250 for Misery) tested confidence in the ability of THOHH and RB (although historically relevant and respected enough to easily move limited quantities of lettered and numbered editions, especially with Suntup's production values) to find a market for that higher quantity.

    Certainly, none of which is to criticize Suntup; I'm merely curious (and mostly curious about AGEs because my budget is on the low side ).
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

  4. #284
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,257
    Rep Power
    14
    Looks like I missed the bulk of this conversation, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

    I like what Suntup is doing. I like that there is a publisher out there producing these kind of high-end books with unique designs that make them more a centerpiece for display than just a book on a shelf. I hope that they continue to be very successful, because anything that gets people excited about books is a good thing. Unfortunately, these books just aren't for me or meant for someone in my budget range.

    As for the price point, this is all relative. The price point is seen as a "too much" from my perspective because:

    1. My income dictates that this is beyond what is reasonable to spend on a book. If I made more money, then this might not be the case. This is a matter of perspective though, because to the "normal" book buyer, us here on this forum that regularly spend $40 to $100+ on a single book is seen as ridiculous. When I discuss my book collecting and share that a particular book cost $200, most people's heads explode at the thought.

    2. My desire for this particular book is not high enough to warrant that amount of money. I have no personal connection or history to the book, so the rationalization to spend that much is diminished. If this was Straub's Ghost Story, I wouldn't think twice about snatching up a limited for $695 (I'd have to do some VERY serious thinking about dropping $4k on a lettered, though). But I'm willing to spend that due to the personal significance that the book has to me. Other collectors might look at me crossed-eyed.

    Due I wish that Suntup could do Artist Editions for all books? Yeah, I'd love to support them. Do I want them to change their business model to make their product price more palatable to me? Nah, this is passion at work here, they should do as they see fit.


    I'm just glad that we have company's like Suntup, Centipede, Thunderstorm, Earthling, Subterranean, Charnel House, SST, PS, and, of course, Cemetery Dance that are putting out these books, because the Lord knows that they aren't doing it for the money. And, in my humble opinion, without them, the world--or at least MY world--would be a little less bright.

  5. #285
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,257
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    BJF, thanks for the insight. Reading the descriptions of the 2 Suntup Rosemary's Baby editions, it would be tough to see how they could be priced much lower.

    I'm curious about the decision not to do 3rd tier/"Artist Gift Editions" for The Haunting Of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby; I wonder if the need to sell a higher quantity (which was 1,000 for Horns and 1,250 for Misery) tested confidence in the ability of THOHH and RB (although historically relevant and respected enough to easily move limited quantities of lettered and numbered editions, especially with Suntup's production values) to find a market for that higher quantity.

    Certainly, none of which is to criticize Suntup; I'm merely curious (and mostly curious about AGEs because my budget is on the low side ).
    The decision to not do Artist's Editions is probably all contractual. Even if Suntup wanted to, they might not have been allowed to.

  6. #286
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    BJF, thanks for the insight. Reading the descriptions of the 2 Suntup Rosemary's Baby editions, it would be tough to see how they could be priced much lower.

    I'm curious about the decision not to do 3rd tier/"Artist Gift Editions" for The Haunting Of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby; I wonder if the need to sell a higher quantity (which was 1,000 for Horns and 1,250 for Misery) tested confidence in the ability of THOHH and RB (although historically relevant and respected enough to easily move limited quantities of lettered and numbered editions, especially with Suntup's production values) to find a market for that higher quantity.

    Certainly, none of which is to criticize Suntup; I'm merely curious (and mostly curious about AGEs because my budget is on the low side ).
    Paul commented at one point that he was contractually not permitted to release an artist gift edition of Hill House. I assume, but do not know, that the same holds true with Rosemary's Baby.

  7. #287
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,879
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    The decision to not do Artist's Editions is probably all contractual. Even if Suntup wanted to, they might not have been allowed to.
    Maybe, my guess is probably more that he just didn't think there'd be enough interest to move 1,000 copies. It really takes a perfect storm of author, price, and title to move that many copies quickly, for instance he still has copies of Horns available.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  8. #288
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I like what Suntup is doing. I like that there is a publisher out there producing these kind of high-end books with unique designs that make them more a centerpiece for display than just a book on a shelf. I hope that they continue to be very successful, because anything that gets people excited about books is a good thing.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    ...to the "normal" book buyer, us here on this forum that regularly spend $40 to $100+ on a single book is seen as ridiculous.
    Normal people are funny, no? The number of times my wife has said "but you already own that book, don't you?" and I've had to respond along the lines of, "yes, but not with these extra features, kickass paper, binding, illustrations..."

    She once referred to my Alan Lee-illustrated editions of Lord Of The Rings as..."picture books," like they were the freakin' Berenstain Bears or something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I'm just glad that we have company's like Suntup, Centipede, Thunderstorm, Earthling, Subterranean, Charnel House, SST, PS, and, of course, Cemetery Dance that are putting out these books, because the Lord knows that they aren't doing it for the money. And, in my humble opinion, without them, the world--or at least MY world--would be a little less bright.
    Hell yeah.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

  9. #289
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,809
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Looks like I missed the bulk of this conversation, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

    I like what Suntup is doing. I like that there is a publisher out there producing these kind of high-end books with unique designs that make them more a centerpiece for display than just a book on a shelf. I hope that they continue to be very successful, because anything that gets people excited about books is a good thing. Unfortunately, these books just aren't for me or meant for someone in my budget range.

    As for the price point, this is all relative. The price point is seen as a "too much" from my perspective because:

    1. My income dictates that this is beyond what is reasonable to spend on a book. If I made more money, then this might not be the case. This is a matter of perspective though, because to the "normal" book buyer, us here on this forum that regularly spend $40 to $100+ on a single book is seen as ridiculous. When I discuss my book collecting and share that a particular book cost $200, most people's heads explode at the thought.

    2. My desire for this particular book is not high enough to warrant that amount of money. I have no personal connection or history to the book, so the rationalization to spend that much is diminished. If this was Straub's Ghost Story, I wouldn't think twice about snatching up a limited for $695 (I'd have to do some VERY serious thinking about dropping $4k on a lettered, though). But I'm willing to spend that due to the personal significance that the book has to me. Other collectors might look at me crossed-eyed.

    Due I wish that Suntup could do Artist Editions for all books? Yeah, I'd love to support them. Do I want them to change their business model to make their product price more palatable to me? Nah, this is passion at work here, they should do as they see fit.


    I'm just glad that we have company's like Suntup, Centipede, Thunderstorm, Earthling, Subterranean, Charnel House, SST, PS, and, of course, Cemetery Dance that are putting out these books, because the Lord knows that they aren't doing it for the money. And, in my humble opinion, without them, the world--or at least MY world--would be a little less bright.
    All of this. Perfectly stated.

  10. #290
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    +1



    Normal people are funny, no? The number of times my wife has said "but you already own that book, don't you?" and I've had to respond along the lines of, "yes, but not with these extra features, kickass paper, binding, illustrations..."

    She once referred to my Alan Lee-illustrated editions of Lord Of The Rings as..."picture books," like they were the freakin' Berenstain Bears or something.




    Hell yeah.
    That Berenstain Bears comment got me rolling. LMFAO!

  11. #291
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    This isn't directed at anyone, but just a reminder to keep things respectful, please.
    Best,
    Brian
    After giving it some thought, I felt this was directed at me. Seeing how it appeared directly after my comment. Oh well, blanket statements are the SOP for most companies. Including my current employer.

  12. #292
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    You're not the boss of me Brian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    So you haven't been told yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I'm sure the notice is in the mail.
    What he said

  13. #293
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,896
    Rep Power
    64
    I would have gone for a reasonably priced gift edition of one was available. I wonder if with a book like this if Paul could do a gift edition if he just figured out the cost and had a preorder window for a gift edition and that was the number of gift edition books he published. Then he doesn't have to do 500 or more copies of only 200 people want one.

  14. #294
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,879
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I would have gone for a reasonably priced gift edition of one was available. I wonder if with a book like this if Paul could do a gift edition if he just figured out the cost and had a preorder window for a gift edition and that was the number of gift edition books he published. Then he doesn't have to do 500 or more copies of only 200 people want one.
    I think contractually that's a bit harder to work out, as contracts tend to specify the print runs on these things (unless it's for a trade version).
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  15. #295
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,896
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I think contractually that's a bit harder to work out, as contracts tend to specify the print runs on these things (unless it's for a trade version).
    I can see that but couldn't it be worked out to an agreed upon percentage of total sales of a gift edition that's limited to the number of books ordered. Cemetery Dance has done that with some of their books like the 4 Halloween books ,Crane House, Kin 4 Zombies and others.

  16. #296
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,646
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    After giving it some thought, I felt this was directed at me. Seeing how it appeared directly after my comment. Oh well, blanket statements are the SOP for most companies. Including my current employer.
    Naw, it wouldn't have been directly after your comment if I had allowed something through the moderation queue first. But instead, that moderated comment was deleted because it was taking things in an unfortunate and non-productive direction... and I wrote my post instead.

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  17. #297
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    970
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    What he said
    I'm sure I can easily justify the purchase of pretty much any edition as I want with the "it's not the $700 version!"

  18. #298
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I'm sure I can easily justify the purchase of pretty much any edition as I want with the "it's not the $700 version!"
    There ya go!

  19. #299
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,896
    Rep Power
    64
    And the almost $10,000 lettered edition sold out. At that price I though it might not well out for a couple of days.

  20. #300
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,809
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    And the almost $10,000 lettered edition sold out. At that price I though it might not well out for a couple of days.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. But that could be my fault for having nary a brain cell left. The lettered was almost $4000.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •