Thread: So, let me tell you a short story

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar

So, let me tell you a short story

(I'm not naming names - you know who you are, and I'm sure many of you could play amateur detective and put the pieces together . . .)

This is all a bit unusual for me, considering that I've become quite a bit more private about the information I share on-line (even though I know that with a few searches, most of you would be able to find out pretty much everything about me on-line, but I don't just volunteer all of that information - you have to put a little effort into it.)

But I digress . . .

Where was I? Oh yeah, being private.

Well, the other day, I don't even remember what prompted the "confession," but I mentioned that my job situation has changed a bit. The company that I've worked for for the last two and a half years, was going through a second round of layoffs, and those of us that remain are having to take one mandatory furlough day per week. Also known as a 20% reduction in income. This is causing quite a bit of stress for everyone of course, but I only see the day to day stress in my own household, especially since six weeks ago, I convinced my wife that she needs to get out of the cesspool of the place she currently worked at, and come up and work at the same company I did. If I knew about the layoffs and furloughs, this would have been a bit different.

Anyway, shortly after I mentioned the above, I get a private message that said that the winner of a free book contest has decided to donate their prizes to me in order to balance some of the universe's karma.

I was floored. When I got this message I didn't know what to say, because Thank You seemed so insufficient.

And then the package arrived and I had to explain to my wife about all the boxes I've been getting (Black Friday sales (which by the way, occurred before the news about work broke)) and when I told her why I was getting this box of free books, she started to cry.

Maybe this story has taken a turn - it started out nice, and then sweet, and now there are tears.

I still won't name names - but those of you involved know who you are, so I wanted to publicly say thank you, and I'll definitely make sure I continue the spreading of karma somehow.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I’ve always said it. Book people are the best.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    This is a great Forum! Lots of good folks on here.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    A very kind act!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    What a great thing to happen. I remember when I was younger and first living on my own money was so tight and I had a piece of crap car I came out of work and got in my car and someone from work had put a couple of bags of food in my backseat with a note saying they had been in a similar situation years earlier and someone helped them out. They just said to remember this and do something for someone else when I was able to. I have never forgotten that and have always tried when able to pay it forward.
    I agree with Brad especially horror fans. This is probably one of the most giving bunch I have come across.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Great story and it should remind us all that there are still good people out there. Nice communities like this one rock.

Many years ago I had similar experiences and they were heartwarming and helped me and later us through tough times. One such event happened on a forum similar to this one.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    That's awesome, Jason! Well deserved, my friend as you're one of the good guys . I have met some truly great people as well as on the TDT forum. It's great to see our community come together in a time of need, especially this time of year. Continued best wishes to you and yours, Jason as you navigate rough waters.

And good on you, gifter for a great act of generosity. I can't help but think that Ron's father would be proud of all involved.