No announcement yet.

On This, The Day of the Pig by Josh Malerman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, very kind of you, Martin; I'll send you by info via PM. As much as I tease Jeff, my mind is completely open to being changed, so I appreciate the offer of the ARC to see I can be swayed to Jeff's side of the Malerman pool party. While I left BIRD BOX two-thirds unfinished, was utterly disappointed by GOBLIN and also left it about one-third unfinished, was twice-burned (and scared off by scathing reviews) so skipped UNBURY CAROL...I *did* like A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE (until the ending, the last 10% of so), so I know there's a glimmer of something within Malerman's work that I can appreciate. Maybe PIG is much more akin to what I saw in HOUSE than any of his other work...would be very interested to see.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Wow, very kind of you, Martin; I'll send you by info via PM. As much as I tease Jeff, my mind is completely open to being changed, so I appreciate the offer of the ARC to see I can be swayed to Jeff's side of the Malerman pool party. While I left BIRD BOX two-thirds unfinished, was utterly disappointed by GOBLIN and also left it about one-third unfinished, was twice-burned (and scared off by scathing reviews) so skipped UNBURY CAROL...I *did* like A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE (until the ending, the last 10% of so), so I know there's a glimmer of something within Malerman's work that I can appreciate. Maybe PIG is much more akin to what I saw in HOUSE than any of his other work...would be very interested to see.
      I enjoyed but did not love Bird Box, I own but have not yet read Unbury Carol or Goblin. I think I will go with PIG next and see how I feel. Got you PM and will work to get the ARC off to you this week.

Comment

Sounds great -- thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I enjoyed but did not love Bird Box, I own but have not yet read Unbury Carol or Goblin. I think I will go with PIG next and see how I feel. Got you PM and will work to get the ARC off to you this week.
          I wasn't blown away by Bird Box. I liked it a lot but I thought GOBLIN was better. And Unbury Carol was really cool--just needed a little more attention to live up to its potential. I though PIG fired on all cylinders. I haven't read Black Mad Wheel or House at the Bottom of the Lake yet.

No matter what, I love the way Malerman tells his stories. I can poke holes in fiction--anyone can--but after reading his stuff I don't want to poke holes in his stories. I completely enjoy the trip.

Now, there are other authors who are technically adept at storytelling--they create characters and have them do things that are meant to provoke emotions--but I don't feel immersed in the world they create. King works the same way for me. I could bemoan a plot hole or a tinny piece of dialog, but I don't want to. I enjoy being there. I don't care about the nitpicky things. If I'm not immersed, then I just focus on the minutiae.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            I wasn't blown away by Bird Box. I liked it a lot but I thought GOBLIN was better. And Unbury Carol was really cool--just needed a little more attention to live up to its potential. I though PIG fired on all cylinders. I haven't read Black Mad Wheel or House at the Bottom of the Lake yet.

No matter what, I love the way Malerman tells his stories. I can poke holes in fiction--anyone can--but after reading his stuff I don't want to poke holes in his stories. I completely enjoy the trip.

Now, there are other authors who are technically adept at storytelling--they create characters and have them do things that are meant to provoke emotions--but I don't feel immersed in the world they create. King works the same way for me. I could bemoan a plot hole or a tinny piece of dialog, but I don't want to. I enjoy being there. I don't care about the nitpicky things. If I'm not immersed, then I just focus on the minutiae.
            That is what it is all about. Read stories that satisfy you after the journey is complete!

Comment

I received my copy, but I have to work it into the queue and right now that queue has pretty much slowed to a crawl...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                I loved Bird Box. Thought Unbury Carol was ok. Not great and didn't really care about most of the characters. I haven't read Goblin or anything else by Malerman yet. Pig I will get to this year. I am still on the fence with him overall . It to each his own. Now to get back to my shelves of Bentley Little books..

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  Just finished this last week and loved it! I've read Goblin, Unbury Carol, and Bird Box and this one topped them all. A great fun wild ride with plenty of blood and creepy shit and a really terrible pig villain. I've no doubt we will all sing for Pearl.

Highly recommend this one to everyone but Ron. I think Ron and I are just destined to swim in two different oceans.
                  After agreeing enthusiastically on Landale's THE BOTTOMS on another thread, our ships once again diverge when it comes to Malerman.

Thanks to Martin's kind generosity, I was able to give ON THIS, THE DAY OF THE PIG a try, to see if perhaps my perspective on Malerman's work could be altered. I was optimistic, as even though I found BIRD BOX and -- especially GOBLIN -- not to my liking, I did enjoy A HOUSE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LAKE. Unfortunately, PIG fell into the same category as the former two, and, in fact, was a DNF (Did Not Finish) book for essentially the same reasons I found GOBLIN unreadable.

I won't say more about it as it seems inappropriate to disparage a book on the publisher's forum, so I'll just sum up and simply say that PIG was not for me, and was the last chance given for Malerman to change my mind (save for the LITTLE BOOK collection that I will have to buy for completist sake).

Vive la différence and all that.

Comment

After agreeing enthusiastically on Landale's THE BOTTOMS on another thread, our ships once again diverge when it comes to Malerman.

Thanks to Martin's kind generosity, I was able to give ON THIS, THE DAY OF THE PIG a try, to see if perhaps my perspective on Malerman's work could be altered. I was optimistic, as even though I found BIRD BOX and -- especially GOBLIN -- not to my liking, I did enjoy A HOUSE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LAKE. Unfortunately, PIG fell into the same category as the former two, and, in fact, was a DNF (Did Not Finish) book for essentially the same reasons I found GOBLIN unreadable.

I won't say more about it as it seems inappropriate to disparage a book on the publisher's forum, so I'll just sum up and simply say that PIG was not for me, and was the last chance given for Malerman to change my mind (save for the LITTLE BOOK collection that I will have to buy for completist sake).

That's too bad. It sucks when you invest time in a book and get a crappy return. Can't ever say you didn't give him a chance though!

Comment

Sorry it did not work for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X