Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: RIP Stan Lee

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Power
    23

    RIP Stan Lee

    Although I am not a super hero or comics guy I have nothing but respect for this mans artistry!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    12
    May he Rest in Peace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Although I am not a super hero or comics guy I have nothing but respect for this mans artistry!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    3
    When I was a little boy, my Aunt missed my birthday party because she was overwhelmed by sadness after John Lennon had been killed.

    Now I understand how she felt.

    I read the news at work today, and, while I was halfway expecting it to happen today, thanks to a cryptic remark at the end of a Stan Lee article posted on Bleeding Cool early this morning, the news hit me like a blow to the chest. I didn't cry, but I was overwhelmed by such deep sadness......This man shaped my childhood, created characters that have given me decades of enjoyment. I feel like I owe him so much. I never had the chance to meet him, but I have a few books that he signed, and they mean the world to me.

    Thanks for the good times, Stan. Excelsior!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    13
    He and his work were a big part of my childhood, as he was of many...RIP, sir, from generations of fans.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,816
    Rep Power
    63
    My love of comics to this day is good some of the wonderful heroes he created and helped to create. I know he has had trouble lately health wise. Sad day indeed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    When I was a little boy, my Aunt missed my birthday party because she was overwhelmed by sadness after John Lennon had been killed.

    Now I understand how she felt.

    I read the news at work today, and, while I was halfway expecting it to happen today, thanks to a cryptic remark at the end of a Stan Lee article posted on Bleeding Cool early this morning, the news hit me like a blow to the chest. I didn't cry, but I was overwhelmed by such deep sadness......This man shaped my childhood, created characters that have given me decades of enjoyment. I feel like I owe him so much. I never had the chance to meet him, but I have a few books that he signed, and they mean the world to me.

    Thanks for the good times, Stan. Excelsior!
    I think your sentiments are being shared by millions today.

  7. #7
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Rep Power
    28
    I liked Stan Lee and a lot of his work. Particularly the movies that came from that work. He lived a long and full life, which is probably why this one doesn't hit me nearly as hard as some other recent-ish celebrity deaths does. Somehow the loss of a 95 year old just doesn't hurt as hard as someone who's gone before their time. Unfortunately for me this one just kinda felt inevitable. All that said I'm sure we'll still be seeing him in cameos in more Marvel movies (who knows how many he pre-recorded). It's gonna really hit hard when we do eventually get a movie with no cameo.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  8. #8
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,422
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I liked Stan Lee and a lot of his work. Particularly the movies that came from that work. He lived a long and full life, which is probably why this one doesn't hit me nearly as hard as some other recent-ish celebrity deaths does. Somehow the loss of a 95 year old just doesn't hurt as hard as someone who's gone before their time. Unfortunately for me this one just kinda felt inevitable. All that said I'm sure we'll still be seeing him in cameos in more Marvel movies (who knows how many he pre-recorded). It's gonna really hit hard when we do eventually get a movie with no cameo.
    Recently watched Dead Pool 2 and didn't catch his cameo in that one. Did I just overlook it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Recently watched Dead Pool 2 and didn't catch his cameo in that one. Did I just overlook it?
    He is not listed as appearing in that one on IMDB.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    3
    I believe the cameo in DP2 was just a poster of his face on the side of a building. I think he was too frail to travel by the time they made that film.

    As far as what Dan said, I remember reading that James Gunn filmed 10 or more Stan Lee cameos a few years ago, so Stan should be gracing Marvel movies with his presence for a few more years. Unless they decide it would be too tacky to use them.......

  11. #11
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,422
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    He is not listed as appearing in that one on IMDB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I believe the cameo in DP2 was just a poster of his face on the side of a building. I think he was too frail to travel by the time they made that film.

    As far as what Dan said, I remember reading that James Gunn filmed 10 or more Stan Lee cameos a few years ago, so Stan should be gracing Marvel movies with his presence for a few more years. Unless they decide it would be too tacky to use them.......
    Gotcha. I missed the poster all together.

    Will be interesting to see how they handle the future cameos, if at all.
    Last edited by Brian861; 11-14-2018 at 06:02 PM.

  12. #12
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Rep Power
    28
    Anyone know if he had a cameo in Venom? I never got around to seeing that one in theaters.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Anyone know if he had a cameo in Venom? I never got around to seeing that one in theaters.
    IMDB has him listed as the Dapper Dog Walker in that one.

  14. #14
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    IMDB has him listed as the Dapper Dog Walker in that one.
    If I remember correctly it was after the credits scene

  15. #15
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY, USA
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Recently watched Dead Pool 2 and didn't catch his cameo in that one. Did I just overlook it?
    He was also in the teaser trailer for Deadpool 2:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tFNfROlqk

  16. #16
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY, USA
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    9
    This video was posted eight months ago, but is titled "STAN LEE _ Every Stan Lee Cameo Ever (1989 - 2018) Marvel"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aXfFjvUgzM

  17. #17
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    SE Illinois
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    22
    I was on vacation when I saw the news on my phone. The sadness I felt was not so much because of Stan's passing, but because it signaled the end of an era. With the passing of Steve Ditko earlier this year and now Stan Lee, all of the original members of the early 1960s Marvel Bullpen are gone. That was such a magical time for Marvel Comics with the creation of the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Avengers, The X-Men, etc.

    I met Stan Lee several times from 1986 to 2009. Each time he was very gracious and engaging. His enthusiasm was contagious. There will never be another like him.

    tt-stan-lee.jpg

  18. #18
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,422
    Rep Power
    50
    That's really awesome that you were about to get a shot with him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •