October: How many books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October: How many books?

Four books for me this month but only one that I thought was worthwhile.

Luca D'Andrea - The Mountain (3/10) A promising murder mystery is spoiled by an unpleasant protagonist and a selection of suspects so plausible that when the true murderer is revealed you just shrug your shoulders. The blurb on the cover compares this to Stephen King but for the life of me I can't see why.

Earnest Cline - Ready Player One (7/10) Although I'm a non-geek and didn't get 90% of the references in the book, I found it to be a highly enjoyable adventure novel with good characterisation and some fun humour. My only real issue with it was the sheer volume of games, books, movies, tv shows, etc. that the main character was supposed to be familiar with. There just aren't enough hours in his teenage life to have completed all of them, particularly as he claims to revisit some of them every month.

Glen Hirshberg - The Snowman's Children (3/10) What could have been an exciting novel about a serial killer preying on local kids turns into a depressing story about mental illness. Disappointing.

Various - Four Ghosts (4/10) Three average stories by Ray Garton, Joe Hill & James A Moore and an absolute dog by Peter Straub.

Lucky number 13 for me in October:

1. Ghost Story by Peter Straub: Started the month with a classic horror re-read. Been many years since I read this and have seen the movie many times since the last read. That led to me forgetting some of the story elements not in the movie. Overall great start to my October reads! 4 Stars.

2. Horns by Joe Hill: The Suntup edition of this had me thinking it was time to re-read this one. I love this story and really appreciate the Ig Parrish character. 5 Stars.

3. Lullaby by Jonathan Maberry: This was a free read from Audible. New parents buy a home that is haunted. Some real good chills and overall a good but not great story. 3 Stars.

4. A Season in Hell by Kenneth Cain (ozmosis7): First thing I have read by Kenneth Cain but it will not be the last. This is a tale about a man remembering a year in minor league baseball when a female player was brought onto the team and the players reacted poorly to her presence. The story is at time uplifting, at times infuriating and at times horrifying. A very good story. 4 Stars.

5. The Best of Richard Matheson by Richard Matheson: A collection of Richard Matheson short stories. Several of these stories are absolutely fantastic but many just fell flat for me. 3 Stars.

6. The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi: The is a second novel in the Interdependency series, the first being The Collapsing Empire. I thoroughly enjoyed book one and this one picks up right at the end of that story and continues on. This story closes out the prior tale and tells a new one without missing a beat. 4 Stars.

7. Hi Bob by Bob Newhart: Bob Newhart interviews and is interviewed by several comedic actors and comedians. Each chapter covers a different topic and the flow is very conversational. I really enjoyed this. 4 Stars.

8. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography by Eric Idle: If you grew up watching Monty Python, Robin Williams or listening to George Harrison you must read this book. This a very open look into the life Eric Idle has lived from his school years to current. Including meeting the members of Monty Python. Creating the show Monty Python. Realizing the success of Monty Python. His friendship with George Harrison and the assassination attempt against him. His friendship with Robin Williams and the impact of his suicide. All told in typical hilarity expected from a Python. One of the better autobiographies I have read. 5 Stars.

9. The Collector by John Fowles: I do not recall exactly how this book came into my vision. What I do remember is that I was reading an interview with Joe Hill and described this book and its influence on his writing. Th story sounded intriguing and I added it to my TBR. Audible had it on sale so I grabbed it. A young man with no social skills obsesses over a lady he sees frequently. I comes into a large some of money and buys an old home in the country side. He converts the basement into a dungeon and abducts the girl sure if he holds her for a while she will fall in love with him and they will build a life together. The development of the characters and they dynamics of their relationship is fascinating. The first part of the book is told from the mans opinion and you get a true sense of his feelings toward her and how he sees the world. The second part of the book tells of the same timeline from her point of view and provide the same sense with her as part one did with him. Some of he parts where she flashes back to her life before being taken prisoner slowed the story down for me. but overall a great story. 4 Stars.

10. A Little Cobalt Book of Old Blue Stories … And Stuff by Mort Castle: The latest in the Borderlands little book series. Most of these stories were original published in Men's magazines in the 70's. Most of these stories were very fun reads but a few fell flat. 3 Stars.

11. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: I loved the movie and have long wanted to read the story so I figured it would be a good October read. This one was probably of too high of expectations for me. I enjoyed it but really wanted more. 3 Stars.

12. Elevation by Stephen King: Pre-bought the audible version so I had this the morning of release and got right to it. I purposely avoided advanced details about the story but I knew it was a Castle Rock story, that it involved a gay couple not being accepted in the community and a neighbor trying to help. At its heart this is a story about being kind to your fellow man. I enjoyed the story but expected more. I am not even sure what I mean by that. I have also purchased the hardbound with will read it soon. I would not be surprised if I appreciate the story better on the second read. 3 Stars.

13. Laurie by Stephen King: An audio version of this story was included with Elevation. I read the story when King released it earlier in the year. A man is given a dog after his wife's passing. He does not want a dog but soon he and the dog are inseparable. This a is a good story about love and loss with a wicked twist at the end. 4 Stars.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
      Four books for me this month but only one that I thought was worthwhile.

Luca D'Andrea - The Mountain (3/10) A promising murder mystery is spoiled by an unpleasant protagonist and a selection of suspects so plausible that when the true murderer is revealed you just shrug your shoulders. The blurb on the cover compares this to Stephen King but for the life of me I can't see why.

Earnest Cline - Ready Player One (7/10) Although I'm a non-geek and didn't get 90% of the references in the book, I found it to be a highly enjoyable adventure novel with good characterisation and some fun humour. My only real issue with it was the sheer volume of games, books, movies, tv shows, etc. that the main character was supposed to be familiar with. There just aren't enough hours in his teenage life to have completed all of them, particularly as he claims to revisit some of them every month.

Glen Hirshberg - The Snowman's Children (3/10) What could have been an exciting novel about a serial killer preying on local kids turns into a depressing story about mental illness. Disappointing.

Various - Four Ghosts (4/10) Three average stories by Ray Garton, Joe Hill & James A Moore and an absolute dog by Peter Straub.
      I have been intrigued by Ready Player One but also being 'non-geek' was not sure I would enjoy it. Thanks for the review, I may have to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I have been intrigued by Ready Player One but also being 'non-geek' was not sure I would enjoy it. Thanks for the review, I may have to check it out.
        I think there’s enough common knowledge pop culture stuff in there you’d still pick up on enough of it. I know a lot went over my head or I just missed the reference.

RPO was a fun read even though it became the new cool thing to hate on when the movie came out.

Comment

Lots of "re-reads" as usual.

Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks
          Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks
          The Elves of the Cintra by Terry Brooks
          The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks

I was going to start on Bearer's of The Black Staff by Terry brooks, but then I remembered I don't really like the narrator for that audio book (the book itself is great though).

Instead I've moved onto what will prove to be a longer and more expensive endeavor of listening to the audio books for The Wheel of Time. It's been years since I've read this and I only barely remember what happens in the later books of the series. So the next 2 or 3 months are going to be nothing but Robert Jordan.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

I was going to start on Bearer's of The Black Staff by Terry brooks, but then I remembered I don't really like the narrator for that audio book (the book itself is great though).

Instead I've moved onto what will prove to be a longer and more expensive endeavor of listening to the audio books for The Wheel of Time. It's been years since I've read this and I only barely remember what happens in the later books of the series. So the next 2 or 3 months are going to be nothing but Robert Jordan.
            I finally did a full read of Wot, I think the year before last. I really loved it overall and I think Sanderson did a great job picking up the last three volumes.

Comment

I occasionally wander through the Fantasy section at book stores and The Wheel of Time series always jumps out at me, but then I'm like "How many books are there?!" It's a little intimidating. I've heard wonderful things, so maybe one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                I occasionally wander through the Fantasy section at book stores and The Wheel of Time series always jumps out at me, but then I'm like "How many books are there?!" It's a little intimidating. I've heard wonderful things, so maybe one day...
                They're definitely worth a read, though there's a couple books in the latter half that drag on a bit.

Instagram

Comment

As for October reads...nothing. I. finished. nothing. I'm making my way through The Blood of Angels by Michael Marshall and The Dogs by Jerrold Mundis so maybe I'll be able to play along in November...

Comment

They're definitely worth a read, though there's a couple books in the latter half that drag on a bit.
                    I've read that in reviews as well and maybe that's also what's held me back a bit. I just looked at the Wikipedia page and the audio books for the whole lot have a run time of 19 days, 5 hours and 25 minutes...holy crap! So when you say two or three months will be nothing but Robert Jordan, that's not even an exaggeration!

Would say that The Eye Of The World is where one should start? What about New Spring? It's listed as a prequel.

Comment

I've read that in reviews as well and maybe that's also what's held me back a bit. I just looked at the Wikipedia page and the audio books for the whole lot have a run time of 19 days, 5 hours and 25 minutes...holy crap! So when you say two or three months will be nothing but Robert Jordan, that's not even an exaggeration!

Would say that The Eye Of The World is where one should start? What about New Spring? It's listed as a prequel.
                      I'd ignore the prequel. It kinda ruins it if you read that first. Start with Eye of the world and don't be afraid to skim Crossroads of Twilight and the first half or so of Knife of Dreams. Both of those where the last books Jordan wrote before he died, and it kinda shows in them. Brandon Sanderson finished up the series working from Jordan's notes and with help from Robert Jordan's wife and they really pick up the pace and close out the series nicely.

Instagram

Comment

I just looked at the Wikipedia page and the audio books for the whole lot have a run time of 19 days, 5 hours and 25 minutes...holy crap! So when you say two or three months will be nothing but Robert Jordan, that's not even an exaggeration!
                        It almost certainly won't take me that long, as I've read the first half of the series several times so I'm already making use of the "skip 30 seconds button" quite a bit. I suspect I'll get slowed down by the ones Sanderson wrote, as I've only ever read those once, and I honestly remember very little of them.

Instagram

Comment

My October reads were on average about the same number of books. One observation (for me at least,) is that I had a higher number of 5/5 titles than usual. Which is a good thing!

Book-Books
                          1. Lethal White (Robert Galbraith) - 5/5
                          2. The Churn (James S.A. Corey) - 5/5
                          3. Exit Strategy (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                          4. Muse of Nightmares (Laini Taylor) - 5/5
                          5. The Three Body Problem (Cixin Liu) - 4/5
                          6. The Calculating Stars (Mary Robinette Kowal) - 5/5
                          7. Small Spaces (Katherine Arden) - 4/5

Comics
                          1. Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles (Mark Russell) - 5/5
                          2. DC: The New Frontier (Darwyn Cooke) - 4/5
                          3. Catwoman Volume 1: The Trail of the Catwoman (Darwyn Cookie & Ed Brubaker) - 4/5

And as before, you can check out July, August, and September

My Goodreads page.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            My October reads were on average about the same number of books. One observation (for me at least,) is that I had a higher number of 5/5 titles than usual. Which is a good thing!

Book-Books
                            1. Lethal White (Robert Galbraith) - 5/5
                            2. The Churn (James S.A. Corey) - 5/5
                            3. Exit Strategy (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                            4. Muse of Nightmares (Laini Taylor) - 5/5
                            5. The Three Body Problem (Cixin Liu) - 4/5
                            6. The Calculating Stars (Mary Robinette Kowal) - 5/5
                            7. Small Spaces (Katherine Arden) - 4/5

Comics
                            1. Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles (Mark Russell) - 5/5
                            2. DC: The New Frontier (Darwyn Cooke) - 4/5
                            3. Catwoman Volume 1: The Trail of the Catwoman (Darwyn Cookie & Ed Brubaker) - 4/5

And as before, you can check out July, August, and September

My Goodreads page.
                            Nothing below a 4 for the month. That is a pretty good run, congratulations!

Comment

So October was a big month for me. Recuperating from an ankle fusion operation so listened to quite a few audiobooks, and even a few good old paper books.

Here we go:

1. We are Legion, We are Bob (Dennis E. Taylor) - 5/5
                              2. Flight or Fright (Various) - 3/5
                              3. The God Engines - novella (John Scalzi) - 4/5
                              4. The Sagan Diaries - novella (John Scalzi) - 3/5
                              5. All Systems Red - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                              6. Artificial Condition - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                              7. Rogue Protocol - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                              8. Exit Strategy - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
                              9. The Twelve (Justin Cronin) - 4/5
                              10. Never Ring a Witches Doorbell - novella (Richard Holeman) - 5/5
                              11. World War Z (Max Brooks) - 5/5
                              12. The Football Solution: How Richmond's Premiership can save Australia (George Megalogenis) - 5/5

I also read the short story Laurie by Stephen King but couldn't call that a book.

Highlights:
                              - The Murderbot books (should really be considered a single novel rather than four novellas),
                              - World War Z (such a great way to comment on the differing worldwide social and political landscapes - I can't believe it took me this long to read)
                              - The Football Solution. (brilliant historical account and political commentary - not really of interest outside of where I live though).
                              - The Bobiverse (Currently loving the second book)

Comment

Working...
                              X