Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I came here to say the same thing.
    Did you also see the email from Paul Miller today? The sale on all the remaining in stock Halloween series books?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Did you also see the email from Paul Miller today? The sale on all the remaining in stock Halloween series books?
      I did get that email.

Comment

Except now I'm trying to figure out the convoluted Kickstarter campaign inclusion in the sale and the hoops I have to jump through in order to give him my money. I suppose it's worth it to get half off, but, jeez, what an unnecessary hassle. Plus, I see a notation that it won't ship until December 9...?

I don't know...I couldn't click it fast enough when I saw the email, but now I'm weighing whether it's worth the trouble. Interesting way to buzz-kill your own sale...contrast that to Earthling's email where a quick email to him instantly secured me a copy from his sale.

EDIT: Also: If you pledge to a Kickstarter and do so with the selection of doing so without a reward (as instructed), is your purchase insured/covered by your credit card, since there it's both a Kickstarter and you've indicated you've contributed without an expectation of a reward/merchandise? Add to that Kickstarter apparently only charges the card if the drive is successful on 11/4...if it's not, then is my Halloween Sale purchase not processed?

I woke up inexplicably cranky this morning; this didn't help. More I think about it, will probably pass.
        Last edited by RonClinton; 10-26-2018, 04:15 PM.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Except now I'm trying to figure out the convoluted Kickstarter campaign inclusion in the sale and the hoops I have to jump through in order to give him my money. I suppose it's worth it to get half off, but, jeez, what an unnecessary hassle. Plus, I see a notation that it won't ship until December 9...?

I don't know...I couldn't click it fast enough when I saw the email, but now I'm weighing whether it's worth the trouble. Interesting way to buzz-kill your own sale...contrast that to Earthling's email where a quick email to him instantly secured me a copy from his sale.

EDIT:
          Also: If you pledge to a Kickstarter and do so with the selection of doing so without a reward (as instructed), is your purchase insured/covered by your credit card, since there it's both a Kickstarter and you've indicated you've contributed without an expectation of a reward/merchandise?
          I didn't look into it beyond 50% off everything available on the website. I didn't realize it was so convoluted. If OFFSPRING was part of the sale (I assumed it wasn't since it's only available on Kickstarter) I would have investigated.

And yeah, the difference with Earthling is stark. Chris needs to make things easier for his customers.

Comment

I still have copies of their edition of Bird Box. I could probably cut a deal if someone wanted one, otherwise I suspect they'll just end up in a grab bag at some point.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I still have copies of their edition of Bird Box. I could probably cut a deal if someone wanted one, otherwise I suspect they'll just end up in a grab bag at some point.
              Dan, if you want to match their 50% off Halloween Sale and save me the headache their Kickstarter inclusion has already given me, I'd love to take you up on it and send my money instead to the good folks at CD.

Comment

EDIT: Also: If you pledge to a Kickstarter and do so with the selection of doing so without a reward (as instructed), is your purchase insured/covered by your credit card, since there it's both a Kickstarter and you've indicated you've contributed without an expectation of a reward/merchandise? Add to that Kickstarter apparently only charges the card if the drive is successful on 11/4...if it's not, then is my Halloween Sale purchase not processed?

I woke up inexplicably cranky this morning; this didn't help. More I think about it, will probably pass.
                Completely agree. DRP marketing baffles me. I typically tune out before I have read the entire promotion. I can't even tell you how many times I have done that but I did it with this one as well.

Comment

Dan, if you want to match their 50% off Halloween Sale and save me the headache their Kickstarter inclusion has already given me, I'd love to take you up on it and send my money instead to the good folks at CD.
                  I can't match that, as we only get 50% off on the purchase of them in the first place, but I can probably do 25%.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    I can't match that, as we only get 50% off on the purchase of them in the first place, but I can probably do 25%.
                    Okay, understood. I really appreciate the offer, but think I'll either bite the bullet on this Kickstarter thing or, more likely, just watch the aftermarket for the right deal.

Comment

I don't think it is you being cranky....I hit the delete button as soon as I see an e-mail from DRP, precisely BECAUSE of what you were saying. They had some deal I wanted in on a few years ago, and it was an endless series of hurdles involving Kickstarter and e-mail messages, and questions just like the ones you're wondering about. Finally I said "Fuck it. You should just TAKE MY MONEY AND SEND ME THE BOOK. I shitcanned that order, and the one or two times that they've published something that I've wanted, I can get it for a song on the secondary market within a few months. To say nothing of the fact that I can read a lot of their stuff for free digitally with my Prime membership. Never make it hard for someone to buy your goods.
                      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                        I don't think it is you being cranky....I hit the delete button as soon as I see an e-mail from DRP, precisely BECAUSE of what you were saying. They had some deal I wanted in on a few years ago, and it was an endless series of hurdles involving Kickstarter and e-mail messages, and questions just like the ones you're wondering about. Finally I said "Fuck it. You should just TAKE MY MONEY AND SEND ME THE BOOK. I shitcanned that order, and the one or two times that they've published something that I've wanted, I can get it for a song on the secondary market within a few months. To say nothing of the fact that I can read a lot of their stuff for free digitally with my Prime membership. Never make it hard for someone to buy your goods.
                        It's hurting their business. Their books are usually high quality. Their edition of BIRD BOX was wonderfully designed from the front boards to the bird-illustrated page breaks, and beautifully produced with the show-stopping cover and some of the most restrained Chadbourne art I've ever seen. Add in the additional content (I thought the new Afterword by Malerman was a great insight into the story) and I can't explain why it's not sold out. You're right, the DRP stuff I've seen sells for far less on the secondary market. I don't understand. The other thing I've noticed is that DRP doesn't get a lot of engagement on social media either. Like people are ignoring them. It seems like they're on the outs with everyone and I just don't get it.

Comment

For those considering taking advantage of their 50% Halloween Sale, I contacted DR and have the straight scoop now on this process...one first jumps through the Kickstarter hoops as described in the email, then if the funding goal is achieved and successful on November 4th, the funds will be collected by DR within 14 days and the books sent out to customers. If the funding goal is not successful, they "will work with customers" to get the contributions reprocessed as store orders and will send out the books. Either way, the books may not go out until after Nov. 18th or after (Nov. 4th + 14 days), though it could be anytime shortly before (if the collection time is less than 14 days) or after (depending on speed of ordering processing). As such, if I do the math correctly, one is likely looking at receiving their items(s) toward the end of November.

Because of the delay and several other issues that make me a bit uncomfortable, I've decided to pass, which is unfortunate for all involved -- I don't get the book, the author doesn't get his royalty, and the publisher doesn't make a sale. As Martin said, DR's marketing is rather baffling...I mean, I understand the goal of liquidating inventory to pay for a new project(s), but why he chooses to do it through a Kickstarter platform that inherently makes it confusing and ultimately unsatisfactory (delay) for the customer is puzzling.

Comment

It seems like they're on the outs with everyone and I just don't get it.
                            Well, there's this:

http://thehorrorshowbk.projectentert...an-keene-ep155

...and especially this:

http://thehorrorshowbk.projectentert...n-keene-ep-156

The horror community is a pretty small and insular one, and if one believes the charges leveled by Keene against DR are true, it can cast quite a pall on your view of their company and product.

Comment

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel that DRP is kind of shady. Adding off-the-books deals onto the Kickstarter via "Pledge without reward" is a way to get it funded fully without giving the buyer an actual reward, and I wonder if, since these books aren't being sold via their website, if there isn't some tax/royalalty shenanigans involved, as well. And I remember a lot of issues a while back with authors not being paid, and Brian Keene writing about how Chris tormented Pic and his wife while Pic was battling cancer. To me, this is a business to stay away from.
                              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel that DRP is kind of shady. Adding off-the-books deals onto the Kickstarter via "Pledge without reward" is a way to get it funded fully without giving the buyer an actual reward, and I wonder if, since these books aren't being sold via their website, if there isn't some tax/royalalty shenanigans involved, as well. And I remember a lot of issues a while back with authors not being paid, and Brian Keene writing about how Chris tormented Pic and his wife while Pic was battling cancer. To me, this is a business to stay away from.

Kickstarter via "Pledge without reward". LOL!!! No freakin' way!!

Comment

Working...
                                X