No announcement yet.

September: How Many??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw your Goodreads mention of Snagglepuss and I'm definitely interested in checking that out. I don't know (or at least remember) anything about the character other than "Exit Stage Left!"

And Ex Machina - that's in my TBR pile, but I have a few books I want/need to read first.

Oh - and DAMN man you read a lot!

Comment

My kids are in a lot of nighttime activities (Scouts, Robotics, art lessons, animation lessons), so after drop-off, I usually have an hour or so to read. I try to make the most of it, lol.
      I had never seen a Snagglepuss cartoon, either...I watched one online, so I could get his voice in ky head before I read the book, but....don't bother. This is a McCarthy-Era tragedy about blacklisted writers and persecuted homosexuals. Pretty deep stuff, bit also funny, sad, thoughtful...but still entertaining.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Head down in shame. I only managed to get through Kill Creek, a few shorts from Kafka, and a partial reading of a collection called Salt Water Tears by Brian A. Hopkins.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Head down in shame. I only managed to get through Kill Creek, a few shorts from Kafka, and a partial reading of a collection called Salt Water Tears by Brian A. Hopkins.
          Don’t be too hard on yourself. For September I only read It Sustains by Mark Morris—which I did enjoy—but that was the first thing I’ve read in four months. Getting back on track this month, though. I find that over the last couple years I have deliberately make time to read where previously it seemed to happen naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            Don’t be too hard on yourself. For September I only read It Sustains by Mark Morris—which I did enjoy—but that was the first thing I’ve read in four months. Getting back on track this month, though. I find that over the last couple years I have deliberately make time to read where previously it seemed to happen naturally.
            I’ve also over the last few years noted a decline in the amount of time I spend reading...I read fewer books now than I did even just a couple years ago. The extent of mental energy and concentration needed to read for an hour or two at night just seems more sporadic than the norm these days. Not sure why — tired, distractions, eye strain, or ?? — but I certainly am not reading a couple books a week like I used to. These days, if I average a book a week I feel like a rock star.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I do have to admit I do find my reading more limited due to health issues. I have troubles holding a PB (arthritis), have trouble seeing them (eyesight), and I'm just not able to focus with distractions like I used to. I prefer hard covers these days over PBs. I do find it easier to read on a e-reader but I would much rather spend money on a physical book so I'm consequently reading less. I would use the library more however their selection is exceedingly limited and they do not do transfers with surrounding counties nor do they do transfers with all libraries in the county.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              I’ve also over the last few years noted a decline in the amount of time I spend reading...I read fewer books now than I did even just a couple years ago. The extent of mental energy and concentration needed to read for an hour or two at night just seems more sporadic than the norm these days. Not sure why — tired, distractions, eye strain, or ?? — but I certainly am not reading a couple books a week like I used to. These days, if I average a book a week I feel like a rock star.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                As usual these where audio books. I also do a lot of re-reading.

1 - 4. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books 2 - 5 - These are pretty much classics. Though book 5 leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me. Book 4 outside the first one is probably the best of the whole lot, but book 5 basically takes everything that was good about book 4 and throws it away.

5. And Another Thing - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book 6 - this one is written by someone other than Douglas Adams and it shows. It's an OK read, but it's not great.

6. Star Wars: Bloodline by Claudia Gray - I've read this one before, but it had been awhile and I was out of Audible credits so I decided to revist this one. It's as good as I remember it being, and if it hadn't been for my next "re-reads" in this list, it'd be the best book I read this month. It's almost certainly the best of the new "Star Wars" books.

7. Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks - Probably my favorite book, certainly my favorite trilogy. This is another re-read due to a lack of Audible credits. The next one follows suit.

8. A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks - Book 2 of this trilogy, picks up 5 years after the previous one. Almost as good as book 1, but not quite. I noticed in this go around that Terry Brooks gets a bit confused by his own timeline in this series a bit. Book 2 takes place 5 years after book one, but the age of the one character is stated and indicates it should be 6 years later. Then book 3 takes place 10 years after book 2, but the age of that character indicates that it should be 9 years after book 2. Just a little oversight and the things you notice when you read them back to back.
                On a side note apparently Terry Brooks is appearing at Powell's Books in Beaverton tonight.

Comment

Working...
                X