Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Press - Third book

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Exactly. That is the beauty of collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I don't think I've ever overpaid for a book that I really wanted...I hope to God wife my never finds this post LOL!!!!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever overpaid for a book that I really wanted...I hope to God wife my never finds this post LOL!!!!
    My thoughts exactly. Part of the reason I went with the payment plan was to hide the full cost of the book from my wife. That's shady as hell, I know. The rub of it is that you have to pay a $30 fee for the privilege of spreading out the payments. So I'm paying more!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Suntup View Post
    Jeff, all good brother. And no, not at all. I didn't take your comment that way. Nothing wrong with voicing opinions. I thought I would just offer up things from a different vantage point. Sort of balance the scales I guess. Thanks for supporting the press!
    One thing I want to add: I really hope you will ALWAYS answer to the book and not the dollar. Never compromise. Even if that means some customers will drop off. Even if that means your books will be beyond my budget, so be it. I'm an adult and I can make decisions about what I can afford. That's why I'm not a letter buyer. It's not that I wouldn't love to have that Lettered Horns on my shelf. I just can't swing it. And that's my business. Keep making beautiful things. That's yours.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    See I've always thought CD and SubPress do enormous print runs when you guys have limiteds at 500 or 1000 copies, but I cut my teeth in collecting without outfits like Delirium/DarkFuse, DRP, and so on, where 100-copy limiteds were standard and 250 was almost unheard of.
    A lot of our titles are new titles often by smaller authors. This stuff wouldn't necessarily get a hardcover unless from a small press. So generally I think we're just more of the mindset that we prefer to do higher runs at a lower price point to get these books into more peoples hands, but not so high of a print run that they aren't "special'. I can't say for sure, but I feel like this tends to be better for those small authors, as the more people that read your books the better. It's really just a different approach to the industry.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    No kidding. I’m giving some serious consideration to buying this book but am afraid of the “you spent how much?” Conversation.

Something something forgiveness something permission.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Part of the reason I went with the payment plan was to hide the full cost of the book from my wife. That's shady as hell, I know. The rub of it is that you have to pay a $30 fee for the privilege of spreading out the payments. So I'm paying more!
    I have drafted emails with all the details of this book addressed to your wives/girlfriend. If I don't receive a grand each from you by midnight tonight, that email will be sent........

One thing I want to add: I really hope you will ALWAYS answer to the book and not the dollar. Never compromise. Even if that means some customers will drop off. Even if that means your books will be beyond my budget, so be it. I'm an adult and I can make decisions about what I can afford. That's why I'm not a letter buyer. It's not that I wouldn't love to have that Lettered Horns on my shelf. I just can't swing it. And that's my business. Keep making beautiful things. That's yours.
    I'm little bummed that after a day of consideration and looking over finances, I won't be going for the lettered on Sunday. Just not in the cards for me at the moment. I'm totally stoked, however, that I will be getting an AGE and numbered. The DJ art on the AGE is outstanding!

I'll be doing the payment plan as well, Jeff. I have a hard, fast rule that I'll never use a CC to buy a book. Payment plans or lay-a-ways I'm all in for. If you see this, Paul? Is the fee associated with the payment plan to cover some cost on your end? If that's the case, I'm fine with it. And to echo Jeff's statement, keep doing what you're doing!
    Last edited by Brian861; 09-28-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I'll be doing the payment plan as well, Jeff. I have a hard, fast rule that I'll never use a CC to buy a book. Payment plans or lay-a-ways I'm all in for. If you see this, Paul? Is the fee associated with the payment plan to cover some cost on your end? If that's the case, I'm fine with it. And to echo Jeff's statement, keep doing what you're doing!
    Hey Brian - It is a fee that the service provider charges Suntup for managing the installment payments.

I'm little bummed that after a day of consideration and looking over finances, I won't be going for the lettered on Sunday.

Is the fee associated with the payment plan to cover some cost on your end? If that's the case, I'm fine with it.
    I doubt there will be any Lettereds available anyway--unless you own/bought a Lettered Hill House.

I thought the fee was something like insurance. If you opt for a payment plan, it means you are reaching the limits of your budget (not necessarily just hiding expenses) and the odds are greater that you will default on your obligation. Though, I will have this book completely paid for before its published so there is absolutely no risk to Paul. But I get that the seller needs protection.

Just a guess.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I have drafted emails with all the details of this book addressed to your wives/girlfriend. If I don't receive a grand each from you by midnight tonight, that email will be sent........

I'm little bummed that after a day of consideration and looking over finances, I won't be going for the lettered on Sunday. Just not in the cards for me at the moment. I'm totally stoked, however, that I will be getting an AGE and numbered. The DJ art on the AGE is outstanding!

Look we have a super villain in our midst. The only way to stop him, is to crush him with an extremely oversized, pricey, collectable book From Kingsway press, damn he's safe LOL. Sorry, sorry, couldn't help it, sorry!!!

Look we have a super villain in our midst. The only way to stop him, is to crush him with an extremely oversized, pricey, collectable book From Kingsway press, damn he's safe LOL. Sorry, sorry, couldn't help it, sorry!!!
    http://gph.is/29c67Lw

Great rule. I follow the same on most "entertainment" purchases. There have been a few exceptions over the years but mostly this has been true for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Hey Brian - It is a fee that the service provider charges Suntup for managing the installment payments.
    Gotcha. Thanks Becca for the quick reply!

I doubt there will be any Lettereds available anyway--unless you own/bought a Lettered Hill House.

I thought the fee was something like insurance. If you opt for a payment plan, it means you are reaching the limits of your budget (not necessarily just hiding expenses) and the odds are greater that you will default on your obligation. Though, I will have this book completely paid for before its published so there is absolutely no risk to Paul. But I get that the seller needs protection.

Just a guess.
    Will be interesting to see if a public sell of the lettered occurs. I might pop in over there to see how quickly it sells out. Same with the numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Great rule. I follow the same on most "entertainment" purchases. There have been a few exceptions over the years but mostly this has been true for me as well.
    Paying with a credit card is not a problem if you pay it off every month. Which I do. And I get to accrue points or cash back or whatever on my purchases. Everything I buy is with plastic.

LMAO!! That's hilarious! I wrote that in my best Dr. Evil voice

Will be interesting to see if a public sell of the lettered occurs. I might pop in over there to see how quickly it sells out. Same with the numbered.
    I'd love it if it all sells out within 30 minutes. I'm resisting buying the Artist Gift Edition. I'm going to have to be strong. Unless I rob an armored car or win the lottery or suddenly become the pastor of a nondenominational megachurch in Texas, I probably will pass on the AGE.

Paying with a credit card is not a problem if you pay it off every month. Which I do. And I get to accrue points or cash back or whatever on my purchases. Everything I buy is with plastic.
    To get personal, I found out a few years back that I have issues with them so it's best to keep temptation at bay. I commend your discipline though and I do love the hell out of my debt card!

I'd love it if it all sells out within 30 minutes. I'm resisting buying the Artist Gift Edition. I'm going to have to be strong. Unless I rob an armored car or win the lottery or suddenly become the pastor of a nondenominational megachurch in Texas, I probably will pass on the AGE.
    Oh me too, brother! That'd be awesome! The AGE is cheaper than Misery so I have no issues there.

And you don't want to start one of those churches. The FBI, ATF, DEA, etc always get involved and who honestly has time or the energy for that shit.
    Last edited by Brian861; 09-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.

To get personal, I found out a few years back that I have issues with them so it's best to keep temptation at bay. I commend your discipline though and I do love the hell out of my debt card!
    Oh yeah of course my method isn't for everyone and life is rarely as simple as sticking to a plan. We all have different habits and incomes and demands. I didn't mean to cast aspersions.

Oh yeah of course my method isn't for everyone and life is rarely as simple as sticking to a plan. We all have different habits and incomes and demands. I didn't mean to cast aspersions.
    None taken, my man. All good

Likewise. I run a tight budget ship but those credit cards are tough for me as well.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar

Interesting that your demands will just cover the cost of a Horns Lettered.