Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I have not read Summer of Night. The description draws comparisons to It for me. I have read two Simmons books (The Terror and A Winter Haunting in the last year and enjoyed them both. I may have to give this one a try.
    I edited my earlier post before while you were posting your reply apparently, as I my contention that BROTHER was perhaps the best coming-of-age horror novel since SUMMER OF NIGHT and King's THE BODY (but less literary in nature but yet more intense in narrative power) started to seem a bit hyperbolic in the back of mind, as I started thinking of other coming-of-age horror novels that were similarly strong...and then I started to wonder if it's even a "coming of age" novel, per se, given the protagonist's somewhat older age (late teens, if memory serves)...can one be "coming of age" when one is supposedly "of age", i.e. an adult (18'ish). Anyway...long way of saying that I still think BROTHER is a fantastic novel, but not sure if it's really a coming-of-age novel, in the strictest sense.

On a kind of unrelated note: Simmons' A WINTER HAUNTING, the adult-age "sequel" to SUMMER OF NIGHT...loved the latter, but thought WINTER was one of his weaker works.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      I edited my earlier post before while you were posting your reply apparently, as I my contention that BROTHER was perhaps the best coming-of-age horror novel since SUMMER OF NIGHT and King's THE BODY (but less literary in nature but yet more intense in narrative power) started to seem a bit hyperbolic in the back of mind, as I started thinking of other coming-of-age horror novels that were similarly strong...and then I started to wonder if it's even a "coming of age" novel, per se, given the protagonist's somewhat older age (late teens, if memory serves)...can one be "coming of age" when one is supposedly "of age", i.e. an adult (18'ish). Anyway...long way of saying that I still think BROTHER is a fantastic novel, but not sure if it's really a coming-of-age novel, in the strictest sense.

On a kind of unrelated note: Simmons' A WINTER HAUNTING, the adult-age "sequel" to SUMMER OF NIGHT...loved the latter, but thought WINTER was one of his weaker works.
      I would not consider Brother a coming of age novel but understood your thoughts. I enjoyed A Winter Haunting but would not consider it a classic. The only other book I have read from that author was The Terror and I enjoyed it more.

Comment

I still think there are some very cool things about these forums. I may not be able to purchase this edition but it truly sounds like a great book, which I should read, and probably a story and author I would have never heard about any other way.

Thank you for all the comments about this!

Back in the day I could have walked into any number of book stores and maybe discovered this author. Now. Not so much.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

Back in the day I could have walked into any number of book stores and maybe discovered this author. Now. Not so much.
          Man, that's way too true and way too sad to think about. I used to love browsing the horror section in Borders hoping to find that next great book. Like you said, luckily we have these types of forums to get the word out about good books.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            It's a shame you didn't like BROTHER all that much. Or at all. I think it would have to be a book I really hated for me to pass on a numbered Suntup Edition at this price. We all know a possible author I would turn down even as a Suntup book. No need to name names. But that list would be little compared to the list of books I would buy.
            Little is right LOL!

The story was right in my wheel house which probably allowed me to enjoy the narrator more.
            Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
              I still think there are some very cool things about these forums. I may not be able to purchase this edition but it truly sounds like a great book, which I should read, and probably a story and author I would have never heard about any other way.

Thank you for all the comments about this!

I am so glad I live near Powell's books!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                Little is right LOL!

Spoiler!
                Responding to your spoiler in my own spoiler so as to not spoil anything because that's how spoilers work:

Spoiler!

Comment

Spoiler!
                  I can honestly say I have not seen the movies mentioned so I can't compare.

Comment

I can honestly say I have not seen the movies mentioned so I can't compare.
                    Same. Even if I had, though, it sure seems like this book had a sense of humanity, of heart, that I feel a movie would have difficulty capturing as well as Ahlborn did.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Ummm, well, this happened.

https://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        Ummm, well, this happened.

https://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k
                        And it was cool AF!

Comment

That's just about the coolest thing ever! How fun!

Comment

I’m relatively new to the Suntup editions and haven’t had the chance to get a hold of any yet, but that definitely peaks your interest for sure! That’s one heck of a marketing tool and very cool indeed. Already marked my calendar...

Comment

Suntup just shared Jeff's video on the social medias.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                                Suntup just shared Jeff's video on the social medias.
                                Yeah on the Twitters and Facebooks. And it's definitely getting more views than my other videos get just a few hours after pushing it out there.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE DAMN BOOK IS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X