Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 929

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

  1. #681
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I assume you are referring to a gift edition. If this one has a gift edition I will probably get that at a minimum. Looking forward to seeing what the offering is. How well does Mr. Jeffingoff's stake play into the story?
    I really can't comment on that. For a couple reasons. One being that I've never read this book though I've always been meaning to (which makes reading THE HIDING PLACE even more irksome to me, knowing I'm spending time on a book I don't like when there are so many others waiting!). And another reason is that I'll say something that goes too far and I'll spoil the surprise. Which is why I'm glad I didn't know the title when I did the teaser to the announcement.

  2. #682
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I assume you are referring to a gift edition. If this one has a gift edition I will probably get that at a minimum. Looking forward to seeing what the offering is. How well does Mr. Jeffingoff's stake play into the story?
    I'll respect Paul's wishes and not give any hints on what the book may be. I mentioned the "cheap edition" -- which may or may not be a Gift Edtion -- only because Paul typically has more than one edition to choose from as part of his business model...this one's no different.

  3. #683
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,028
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I'll respect Paul's wishes and not give any hints on what the book may be. I mentioned the "cheap edition" -- which may or may not be a Gift Edtion -- only because Paul typically has more than one edition to choose from as part of his business model...this one's no different.
    I can respect that.

  4. #684
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I really can't comment on that. For a couple reasons. One being that I've never read this book though I've always been meaning to (which makes reading THE HIDING PLACE even more irksome to me, knowing I'm spending time on a book I don't like when there are so many others waiting!). And another reason is that I'll say something that goes too far and I'll spoil the surprise. Which is why I'm glad I didn't know the title when I did the teaser to the announcement.
    I enjoyed it. I'm terrible at predicting these things but I'm thinking it will sellout quickly.

    Glad you're able to stay on track, Jeff with the non-Kings.

    Edit: Understanding that sellout thing doesn't matter to Paul; I wonder if he'll do another book that isn't well known since there are so many copies of Brother left.

  5. #685
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I enjoyed it. I'm terrible at predicting these things but I'm thinking it will sellout quickly.

    Glad you're able to stay on track, Jeff with the non-Kings.

    Edit: Understanding that sellout thing doesn't matter to Paul; I wonder if he'll do another book that isn't well known since there are so many copies of Brother left.
    Paul was pleased at the rate Brother was selling. And had he kept the print run at 250, Brother would be sold out weeks ago. This new one might sell out sooner than Brother. I don't know. I'm horrible at guessing as well.

  6. #686
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Paul was pleased at the rate Brother was selling. And had he kept the print run at 250, Brother would be sold out weeks ago. This new one might sell out sooner than Brother. I don't know. I'm horrible at guessing as well.
    Great point. I didn't take the extra 250 into account. I'll go out on a limb and say the latest one sells out first day of public release.

  7. #687
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Great point. I didn't take the extra 250 into account. I'll go out on a limb and say the latest one sells out first day of public release.
    What are you willing to wager?? I think it'll last longer than that. If it sells out the first day, I'll read a Bentley Little story.

  8. #688
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,028
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Great point. I didn't take the extra 250 into account. I'll go out on a limb and say the latest one sells out first day of public release.
    I am kind of hoping for something with a gift edition release that would be an easy pass for me at a limited level. I Am Legend would be an example. Didn't really like it I originally read and would not spend $200 plus for a copy. So many people rave about it that I do want to try again so a gift for around $100 would get me to jump in. I will see on Saturday.

  9. #689
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    What are you willing to wager?? I think it'll last longer than that. If it sells out the first day, I'll read a Bentley Little story.
    No dog in the fight of Bentley, I just like giving you a hard time about it lol. Have never read the man and probably never will. Although it would probably please Ron to a great degree

    Paul has all my wager monies sown up for the next 40 years, give or take.

  10. #690
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,028
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    No dog in the fight of Bentley, I just like giving you a hard time about it lol. Have never read the man and probably never will. Although it would probably please Ron to a great degree

    Paul has all my wager monies sown up for the next 40 years, give or take.
    Bentley Little is a really fun read, Jeff is just wrong on this one. I recommend The Mailman.

  11. #691
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    No dog in the fight of Bentley, I just like giving you a hard time about it lol. Have never read the man and probably never will. Although it would probably please Ron to a great degree
    Go forth and sin against Jeff, my son. It would please me greatly and, trusteth me, ye mightily. Amen.

  12. #692
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.

  13. #693
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.
    Right?!

  14. #694
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,903
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.
    It’s true. I keep finding myself having to include Bentley Little in anyway I can when Jeff speaks of books.

  15. #695
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.
    Maybe I'm secretly Bentley Little and this has all just been a marketing ploy. Or I'm doing research for my next book The Forum.

    It is true that Mr. Little didn't do anything--just like all the characters in his books! Seriously, I wish Little the best. He's living his passion and for that, I have nothing but admiration and respect.

  16. #696
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    It’s true. I keep finding myself having to include Bentley Little in anyway I can when Jeff speaks of books.
    Interestingly, Little's writing style doesn't infuriate me like CJ Tudor's. I'm at the home stretch of THE HIDING PLACE and I'm finding it unreadable! Tudor has this style I call BEATING THE DEAD GODDAMNED HORSE where she'll write a thought and then write that same thought again with different words and then do it again and again. So it goes something like this:

    I stepped into the fog and claustrophobia set in. Like the fog was a wispy wet cocoon. Like it was weaving around me. Like it had been there all the time waiting to embrace me. Like it was a a burial shroud for a half-living man. Like it was a ghostly constrictor ever tightening.

    Even that is a weak attempt at capturing just how annoying it is. It feels like I'm reading a homework assignment from a kid who has no new ideas but absolutely needs to pad the essay to reach some arbitrary page limit. But I will finish this thing and then I'm thinking of selling a matching set of Tudor books.

    So now you can think of Tudor AND Little when you think of me. Here's a mnemonic: Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown.

  17. #697
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,613
    Rep Power
    13
    Just for the record I like the bit of Little that I've read.

    Some of it is very odd but I like that that. Some interesting takes and perspectives in his work.

  18. #698
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,903
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Interestingly, Little's writing style doesn't infuriate me like CJ Tudor's. I'm at the home stretch of THE HIDING PLACE and I'm finding it unreadable! Tudor has this style I call BEATING THE DEAD GODDAMNED HORSE where she'll write a thought and then write that same thought again with different words and then do it again and again. So it goes something like this:

    I stepped into the fog and claustrophobia set in. Like the fog was a wispy wet cocoon. Like it was weaving around me. Like it had been there all the time waiting to embrace me. Like it was a a burial shroud for a half-living man. Like it was a ghostly constrictor ever tightening.

    Even that is a weak attempt at capturing just how annoying it is. It feels like I'm reading a homework assignment from a kid who has no new ideas but absolutely needs to pad the essay to reach some arbitrary page limit. But I will finish this thing and then I'm thinking of selling a matching set of Tudor books.

    So now you can think of Tudor AND Little when you think of me. Here's a mnemonic: Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown.
    Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown . Every day he goes to The Store where The Chalk Man cashes him out.He then goes home to his Hiding Place and waits for The Mailman to bring his monthly bill from The Association .

  19. #699
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown . Every day he goes to The Store where The Chalk Man cashes him out.He then goes home to his Hiding Place and waits for The Mailman to bring his monthly bill from The Association .
    So much personal trauma in that sentence--but brilliantly done! And this conversation is causing me to come to the realization that I'm a curmudgeon. I rant about the books I don't like when I should rave about the books I love.

    I LOVED:
    The Complete Borne
    Brother
    The Stand
    It
    The Road
    Butcher Boy
    The Listener
    The Thicket
    Horns
    Haunting of Hill House

    There, that feels better.

  20. #700
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Just for the record I like the bit of Little that I've read.

    Some of it is very odd but I like that that. Some interesting takes and perspectives in his work.

    Yeah, and I tried to get to that place, but I just fumed every step of the journey. I'm glad for the people who find the reward in his books. I wish I was among you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •