Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I assume you are referring to a gift edition. If this one has a gift edition I will probably get that at a minimum. Looking forward to seeing what the offering is. How well does Mr. Jeffingoff's stake play into the story?
    I really can't comment on that. For a couple reasons. One being that I've never read this book though I've always been meaning to (which makes reading THE HIDING PLACE even more irksome to me, knowing I'm spending time on a book I don't like when there are so many others waiting!). And another reason is that I'll say something that goes too far and I'll spoil the surprise. Which is why I'm glad I didn't know the title when I did the teaser to the announcement.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I assume you are referring to a gift edition. If this one has a gift edition I will probably get that at a minimum. Looking forward to seeing what the offering is. How well does Mr. Jeffingoff's stake play into the story?
    I'll respect Paul's wishes and not give any hints on what the book may be. I mentioned the "cheap edition" -- which may or may not be a Gift Edtion -- only because Paul typically has more than one edition to choose from as part of his business model...this one's no different.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I'll respect Paul's wishes and not give any hints on what the book may be. I mentioned the "cheap edition" -- which may or may not be a Gift Edtion -- only because Paul typically has more than one edition to choose from as part of his business model...this one's no different.
    I can respect that.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I really can't comment on that. For a couple reasons. One being that I've never read this book though I've always been meaning to (which makes reading THE HIDING PLACE even more irksome to me, knowing I'm spending time on a book I don't like when there are so many others waiting!). And another reason is that I'll say something that goes too far and I'll spoil the surprise. Which is why I'm glad I didn't know the title when I did the teaser to the announcement.
    I enjoyed it. I'm terrible at predicting these things but I'm thinking it will sellout quickly.

Glad you're able to stay on track, Jeff with the non-Kings.

Edit: Understanding that sellout thing doesn't matter to Paul; I wonder if he'll do another book that isn't well known since there are so many copies of Brother left.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I enjoyed it. I'm terrible at predicting these things but I'm thinking it will sellout quickly.

Glad you're able to stay on track, Jeff with the non-Kings.

Edit: Understanding that sellout thing doesn't matter to Paul; I wonder if he'll do another book that isn't well known since there are so many copies of Brother left.
    Paul was pleased at the rate Brother was selling. And had he kept the print run at 250, Brother would be sold out weeks ago. This new one might sell out sooner than Brother. I don't know. I'm horrible at guessing as well.

Paul was pleased at the rate Brother was selling. And had he kept the print run at 250, Brother would be sold out weeks ago. This new one might sell out sooner than Brother. I don't know. I'm horrible at guessing as well.
    Great point. I didn't take the extra 250 into account. I'll go out on a limb and say the latest one sells out first day of public release.

Great point. I didn't take the extra 250 into account. I'll go out on a limb and say the latest one sells out first day of public release.
    What are you willing to wager?? I think it'll last longer than that. If it sells out the first day, I'll read a Bentley Little story.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I am kind of hoping for something with a gift edition release that would be an easy pass for me at a limited level. I Am Legend would be an example. Didn't really like it I originally read and would not spend $200 plus for a copy. So many people rave about it that I do want to try again so a gift for around $100 would get me to jump in. I will see on Saturday.

What are you willing to wager?? I think it'll last longer than that. If it sells out the first day, I'll read a Bentley Little story.
    No dog in the fight of Bentley, I just like giving you a hard time about it lol. Have never read the man and probably never will. Although it would probably please Ron to a great degree

Paul has all my wager monies sown up for the next 40 years, give or take.

No dog in the fight of Bentley, I just like giving you a hard time about it lol. Have never read the man and probably never will. Although it would probably please Ron to a great degree

Paul has all my wager monies sown up for the next 40 years, give or take.
    Bentley Little is a really fun read, Jeff is just wrong on this one. I recommend The Mailman.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Go forth and sin against Jeff, my son. It would please me greatly and, trusteth me, ye mightily. Amen.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Lmao Jeff has single handedly brought so much pain to Bentley little and the poor guy didn't even do anything. i can't even look at a Bentley little book now without associating Jeff to it.
    Right?!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    It’s true. I keep finding myself having to include Bentley Little in anyway I can when Jeff speaks of books.

Maybe I'm secretly Bentley Little and this has all just been a marketing ploy. Or I'm doing research for my next book The Forum.

It is true that Mr. Little didn't do anything--just like all the characters in his books! Seriously, I wish Little the best. He's living his passion and for that, I have nothing but admiration and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    It’s true. I keep finding myself having to include Bentley Little in anyway I can when Jeff speaks of books.
    Interestingly, Little's writing style doesn't infuriate me like CJ Tudor's. I'm at the home stretch of THE HIDING PLACE and I'm finding it unreadable! Tudor has this style I call BEATING THE DEAD GODDAMNED HORSE where she'll write a thought and then write that same thought again with different words and then do it again and again. So it goes something like this:

I stepped into the fog and claustrophobia set in. Like the fog was a wispy wet cocoon. Like it was weaving around me. Like it had been there all the time waiting to embrace me. Like it was a a burial shroud for a half-living man. Like it was a ghostly constrictor ever tightening.

Even that is a weak attempt at capturing just how annoying it is. It feels like I'm reading a homework assignment from a kid who has no new ideas but absolutely needs to pad the essay to reach some arbitrary page limit. But I will finish this thing and then I'm thinking of selling a matching set of Tudor books.

So now you can think of Tudor AND Little when you think of me. Here's a mnemonic: Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Just for the record I like the bit of Little that I've read.

Some of it is very odd but I like that that. Some interesting takes and perspectives in his work.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Interestingly, Little's writing style doesn't infuriate me like CJ Tudor's. I'm at the home stretch of THE HIDING PLACE and I'm finding it unreadable! Tudor has this style I call BEATING THE DEAD GODDAMNED HORSE where she'll write a thought and then write that same thought again with different words and then do it again and again. So it goes something like this:

I stepped into the fog and claustrophobia set in. Like the fog was a wispy wet cocoon. Like it was weaving around me. Like it had been there all the time waiting to embrace me. Like it was a a burial shroud for a half-living man. Like it was a ghostly constrictor ever tightening.

Even that is a weak attempt at capturing just how annoying it is. It feels like I'm reading a homework assignment from a kid who has no new ideas but absolutely needs to pad the essay to reach some arbitrary page limit. But I will finish this thing and then I'm thinking of selling a matching set of Tudor books.

So now you can think of Tudor AND Little when you think of me. Here's a mnemonic: Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown.
    Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown . Every day he goes to The Store where The Chalk Man cashes him out.He then goes home to his Hiding Place and waits for The Mailman to bring his monthly bill from The Association .

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Jeff lives in a Little Tudor House in Squalortown . Every day he goes to The Store where The Chalk Man cashes him out.He then goes home to his Hiding Place and waits for The Mailman to bring his monthly bill from The Association .
    So much personal trauma in that sentence--but brilliantly done! And this conversation is causing me to come to the realization that I'm a curmudgeon. I rant about the books I don't like when I should rave about the books I love.

I LOVED:
    The Complete Borne
    Brother
    The Stand
    It
    The Road
    Butcher Boy
    The Listener
    The Thicket
    Horns
    Haunting of Hill House

There, that feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Just for the record I like the bit of Little that I've read.

Some of it is very odd but I like that that. Some interesting takes and perspectives in his work.

Yeah, and I tried to get to that place, but I just fumed every step of the journey. I'm glad for the people who find the reward in his books. I wish I was among you.