Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 865

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

  1. #621
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thanks, Martin! The glass half empty side of me says I'll never win it and some non-Hill fan will sell it for a zillion dollars.

    Jeff. I thought about buying multiple copies to increase my chances but then I thought, like you, it takes away from a yet unknown future purchase. If it's meant to be, it'll be.

    As far as they story:
    Spoiler!
    You and me both on that spoiler! I am going to try to finish this book as fast as possible because it's the kind of book you need to gulp.

  2. #622
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I never thought I would win the ARC either so you never know.

    Regarding you story comment. I am only two chapters in and I agree with you.
    I felt like I won when I got the planchette with Hill House. Owning that edition is particularly sweet when you consider that it was last book with the micro print run that Paul launched with. Only Hill House and Misery share that small limitation. It was expanded from 185 to 250 with Horns. I'll be forever pissed that I missed out on MISERY.

  3. #623
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    You and me both on that spoiler! I am going to try to finish this book as fast as possible because it's the kind of book you need to gulp.
    When you get home. Take Pennywise in one hand, Brother in the other and head down to the Cigargoyle lounge and immerse yourself. Just have to tell the wife and kids you need to have some alone time with another family.

  4. #624
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    When you get home. Take Pennywise in one hand, Brother in the other and head down to the Cigargoyle lounge and immerse yourself. Just have to tell the wife and kids you need to have some alone time with another family.
    hahahaha I can't believe you remembered that name! I might just have to leave the house and read the book on the shoulder of the road on an abandoned highway that cuts through the woods.

  5. #625
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    hahahaha I can't believe you remembered that name! I might just have to leave the house and read the book on the shoulder of the road on an abandoned highway that cuts through the woods.
    I actually thought about it recently when Pennywise re-appeared in your unboxing videos.

  6. #626
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Just finished reading BROTHER and I loved it. This was the book I was hoping PRESSURE by Jeff Strand could become. I think Ahlborn got it exactly right.

  7. #627
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Just finished reading BROTHER and I loved it. This was the book I was hoping PRESSURE by Jeff Strand could become. I think Ahlborn got it exactly right.
    I am about the half way point and am loving it. It actually has a KIN feel to it.

  8. #628
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am about the half way point and am loving it. It actually has a KIN feel to it.
    Yeah I was going to read that next, but I opted for HORNS. I thought if I read KIN right after BROTHER, then I might just conflate the two or not be able t appreciate KIN on its own since there are similar elements both books share. Like reading KIN in a shadow.

    But that will be after HORNS.

  9. #629
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah I was going to read that next, but I opted for HORNS. I thought if I read KIN right after BROTHER, then I might just conflate the two or not be able t appreciate KIN on its own since there are similar elements both books share. Like reading KIN in a shadow.

    But that will be after HORNS.
    That is probably a good plan. Both are good reads as well.

  10. #630
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    Dang. I guess I need to order a reader of this. I love, love, love,..love (too much?). KIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am about the half way point and am loving it. It actually has a KIN feel to it.

  11. #631
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,895
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Just finished reading BROTHER and I loved it. This was the book I was hoping PRESSURE by Jeff Strand could become. I think Ahlborn got it exactly right.
    I'm going to read it sometime in September. I have about 180 pages left in Wanderers and then a couple of other things to get to but I cannot wait to read this. I absolutely loved Kin.

  12. #632
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Just finished reading BROTHER and I loved it. This was the book I was hoping PRESSURE by Jeff Strand could become. I think Ahlborn got it exactly right.
    Really looking forward to your thoughts on Horns.

  13. #633
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Dang. I guess I need to order a reader of this. I love, love, love,..love (too much?). KIN.
    This is a very different story that Kin but really has a Kin feel to it. I consider Kin classic horror and I may put this on a similar level by the time I finish it.

  14. #634
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    I am all a'tingle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    This is a very different story that Kin but really has a Kin feel to it. I consider Kin classic horror and I may put this on a similar level by the time I finish it.

  15. #635
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I am all a'tingle.

  16. #636
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Well I finished Brother today. I listened via Audible and I did not have the issues with the narrator that Brian861 had. While not the best narrator I have heard, he was far from the worst. The narration is flat at times but overall I though he did a good job with the story. The story is fantastic from beginning to end. I draw comparisons to Kealan Patrick Burke's KIN and Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door but without the gore. Don't get me wrong this story is brutal but at its heart it is much more about the human experience than the horrors of the story. It had a couple of twists that were predictable and several that came out of nowhere. The conclusion is appropriate and left me wanting more. I am so glad I jumped in on the limited and will return to this author.

  17. #637
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Don't get me wrong this story is brutal but at its heart it is much more about the human experience than the horrors of the story.
    Precisely, that's why Ahlborn's novel is so horrifying and memorable...that emotional resonance, the familial relationships, the decaying and challenged humanity, etc.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 08-26-2019 at 01:08 AM.

  18. #638
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Precisely, that's why Ahlborn's novel is so horrifying and memorable...that emotional resonance, the familial relationships, the decaying and challenged humanity, etc.
    I have not read Summer of Night. The description draws comparisons to It for me. I have read two Simmons books (The Terror and A Winter Haunting in the last year and enjoyed them both. I may have to give this one a try.

  19. #639
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well I finished Brother today. I listened via Audible and I did not have the issues with the narrator that Brian861 had. While not the best narrator I have heard, he was far from the worst. The narration is flat at times but overall I though he did a good job with the story. The story is fantastic from beginning to end. I draw comparisons to Kealan Patrick Burke's KIN and Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door but without the gore. Don't get me wrong this story is brutal but at its heart it is much more about the human experience than the horrors of the story. It had a couple of twists that were predictable and several that came out of nowhere. The conclusion is appropriate and left me wanting more. I am so glad I jumped in on the limited and will return to this author.
    I'm pretty much used to him at this point. The story is meh for me anyway so........

  20. #640
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have not read Summer of Night. The description draws comparisons to It for me. I have read two Simmons books (The Terror and A Winter Haunting in the last year and enjoyed them both. I may have to give this one a try.
    I really enjoyed Summer of Night and the sequel A Winter Haunting. I should have said, The subsequent books are Children of the Night (1992), Fires of Eden (1994), and A Winter Haunting (2002) LOL!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •