Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    No artist edition. With the price of the limited and no signature from the author I will pass. I am sure it will be worth the price but not for me.
    This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.
      I think it's highly situational. A lot of authors sign everything put in front of them. Take Joe Lansdale. Phenomenal author, but his signature isn't exactly rare, so when it comes to special editions, I'll look the book itself to determine if an asking price is worthwhile. With someone like King, who signs far less (though still a lot in the grand scheme of things), his signature itself has an established value of several hundred dollars.

Then there are authors like McCarthy, who don't sign anything: a beat-to-hell trade paperback of The Road with the movie-tie cover, but that is actually signed would put the price of the limited (and possibly lettered) to shame. I shudder to think what the price would have been had his signature actually been included, but it would easily have been the most expensive book Suntup has done to date (and would likely ever do).

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        That's actually a great question. Personally, I've never placed too much of a premium on signatures. I mean, it depends on the author: what is a Hill, or a Gaiman signature worth nowadays? It's always been about the book as object of art. Signatures are the "bonus" for me. But, with McCarthy.. his signature on this (or anything, really) would've been a HUGE bonus. This one is tough for me. The book looks really nice, obviously, but it'll be pushing $500 for me by the time I'm done with Ca tax and shipping. Without his signature, that's almost a push for me on this particular book- which I still haven't (and may never) read!

Comment

Great looking book however I would need a payment plan option, just to consider, the AGE. I think I need to stop drooling at Suntup and impose a ban on myself at even looking at their stuff. I'm bummed.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed at the production pics of the numbered...the front board woodcut is, to my eyes, miscentered (yes, I see the tree on the right, but those two characters really need to be centered and given priority and, more, equal importance, rather than the father centered and the boy pushed to the left), and, more importantly, I really don't care for that cloth on the boards. I've seen that crosshatched woven material used before and have held it, and it looks and feels like something you'd find on a couch...I find it bulky and heavy, dry, scratchy, and out-of-place on a book. I know it has a long history of use in binding (primarily in older publications), but I personally just don't care for it.

So while yesterday it was the quite literally most exciting book news I'd had in years -- my all-time favorite book getting the deluxe treatment! -- I find today that I'm now struggling with reasons to justify its purchase. I already have a U.S. 1st HC and a U.K. 1st HC...and aready have no room on my shelves for multiple editions of the same book...do I really need a third edition, particularly one that doesn't thrill me in its design and costs nearly $400 (and I certainly can't afford the lovely, slate-covered lettered edition)?

I don't mean to disparage Paul's concept and I'm sure in the end the final product will be a finely-produced work, but I find that in this particular case his design ideas just don't appeal to my personal sense of aesthetic...and that's okay, differing opinions make the world go 'round. I suspect that conflict of vision is perhaps even more pronounced in this case, because the book is such a special work to me.

If there was a GE at ~$100, I might be more forgiving, but at four times that, this is probably not going to be an item I'm going to add to my shelf...which, frankly, stuns me this morning and leaves me a little heartbroken. Perhaps I'll change my mind by 4/13, but quite honestly I kind of doubt it.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Well, I hope enough people sit this one out and I'm able to get a numbered edition. I kinda wish I had sprung for Rosemary's Baby just so I would have the hassle free ordering guarantee on this one. But that's fine. Maybe I'll have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed at the production pics of the numbered...the front board woodcut is, to my eyes, miscentered (yes, I see the tree on the right, but those two characters really need to be centered and given priority and, more, equal importance, rather than the father centered and the boy pushed to the left), and, more importantly, I really don't care for that cloth on the boards. I've seen that crosshatched woven material used before and have held it, and it looks and feels like something you'd find on a couch...I find it bulky and heavy, dry, scratchy, and out-of-place on a book. I know it has a long history of use in binding (primarily in older publications), but I personally just don't care for it.

So while yesterday it was the quite literally most exciting book news I'd had in years -- my all-time favorite book getting the deluxe treatment! -- I find today that I'm now struggling with reasons to justify its purchase. I already have a U.S. 1st HC and a U.K. 1st HC...and aready have no room on my shelves for multiple editions of the same book...do I really need a third edition, particularly one that doesn't thrill me in its design and costs nearly $400 (and I certainly can't afford the lovely, slate-covered lettered edition)?

I don't mean to disparage Paul's concept and I'm sure in the end the final product will be a finely-produced work, but I find that in this particular case his design ideas just don't appeal to my personal sense of aesthetic...and that's okay, differing opinions make the world go 'round. I suspect that conflict of vision is perhaps even more pronounced in this case, because the book is such a special work to me.

If there was a GE at ~$100, I might be more forgiving, but at four times that, this is probably not going to be an item I'm going to add to my shelf...which, frankly, stuns me this morning and leaves me a little heartbroken. Perhaps I'll change my mind by 4/13, but quite honestly I kind of doubt it.
                I'm bummed that you're bummed on this. I get your points, though. For a book held in such high regard, it's hard to find a production that will match how you feel about it. Especially if it's not to your taste.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                  Then there are authors like McCarthy, who don't sign anything
                  Oh, he signs, though certainly sparingly...he just refuses to sign THE ROAD (for the reason I mention earlier).

I have a signed 1st ed. trade Fine/Fine HC of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (with accompanying postcard verifying bookstore's signed-bookclub provenance), which I treasure.

He's had a couple signed/numbered limited editions as well (a S/L variant of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, for example), and signed trade HCs of his other books are out there, though, yes, quite expensive. It's all about supply-and-demand, and the latter drastically outweighs the former, which drives up the price.

Comment

I agree that I'm not quite blown away by the limited, though the lettered is nice. It's hard to make a determination on these from pictures, though. Seeing these in person could change my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      I'm bummed that you're bummed on this. I get your points, though. For a book held in such high regard, it's hard to find a production that will match how you feel about it. Especially if it's not to your taste.
                      Thanks, appreciate the empathy, Jeff. Yeah, there's probably some element of too-high expectations in my reasoning, but then I look at those pics again and think, Damn, I really do think Paul missed the boat on this one. But I get that someone looking at those very same pics could see a homerun. Ultimately, it's all about subjective personal preferences, and this one, regrettably, just doesn't tick the boxes for me.
                      Last edited by RonClinton; 03-29-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm passing on this one. Love the book, just to many pre-orders in the fire. Centipede's Dune is lurking in the horizon LOl!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          Yeah, I'm passing on this one. Love the book, just to many pre-orders in the fire. Centipede's Dune is lurking in the horizon LOl!!
                          Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.loa.org/books/326-novels-stories Btw, a pop-up may come up that advertises 10% off your first order...unfortunately, you can't use two coupons combined on this one order (I tried...when you put in the 10% it wipes out the 20% discount, and you have to omit the 10% code and reapply the 20% code...it won't permit 30% off).
                          Last edited by RonClinton; 03-29-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            Yes, I must keep that in mind as well. Centipede is going to blow my budget this year.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the empathy, Jeff. Yeah, there's probably some element of too-high expectations in my reasoning, but then I look at those pics again and think, Damn, I really do think Paul missed the boat on this one. But I get that someone looking at those very same pics could see a homerun. Ultimately, it's all about subjective personal preferences, and this one, regrettably, just doesn't tick the boxes for me.
                              It truly is about subjective personal preferences and there is nothing wrong with that. Paul seems to be trying to be different with his designs and when one does that there is a possibility that it won't land with some people. I can see where it is disappointing when the love of the aesthetic doesn't match the love for the book. I've dealt with more of the opposite, though: I LOVE what a publisher has done with the book, I just don't think the book lives up to that expectation.

Comment

Nice find! Thanks for the link. While I can spend more then $22.40 (but not $400) this seems to be a steal for some great reading.

Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X