Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 929

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

  1. #541
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Don't listen to the audiobook. The narrator is horrible.
    Thanks for the heads up. I actually listened to the preview and while he did not sound great, I didn't find him horrible. What about the narration do you dislike?

  2. #542
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    I have received my Artist Gift Edition of Horns and will be posting photos in my collectors thread. If you don't want to see it until you receive yours avoid my collection thread.

  3. #543
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,656
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    With the comment you wrote following this one, I'm surprised you're torn. Seems like a must have to me. And it being the first limited and first hardcover of this book, it'll etch it's place in collector's history.
    The production quality and exotic materials aside, the price tag on it is high for a relatively unknown author of a generally obscure modern trade-paperback, so it did give me pause, regardless of how much I personally enjoyed it. I don’t give resale potential too much consideration in my purchasing decisions, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t at least a factor…if I just wanted the book, I already have the trade-paperback. I frankly don’t foresee this one retaining its value longterm, so I was torn on what I wanted and what I felt was a wise decision, both as a purchase and an investment.

    But in the end the heart won out, and I went for a copy on their payment plan...the plan making it feel like, I suppose, like some sort of middle-ground, of inner compromise, of buying the book but without an unreasonable, ill-considered initial outlay.

  4. #544
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    The production quality and exotic materials aside, the price tag on it is high for a relatively unknown author of a generally obscure modern trade-paperback, so it did give me pause, regardless of how much I personally enjoyed it. I don’t give resale potential too much consideration in my purchasing decisions, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t at least a factor…if I just wanted the book, I already have the trade-paperback. I frankly don’t foresee this one retaining its value longterm, so I was torn on what I wanted and what I felt was a wise decision, both as a purchase and an investment.

    But in the end the heart won out, and I went for a copy on their payment plan...the plan making it feel like, I suppose, like some sort of middle-ground, of inner compromise, of buying the book but without an unreasonable, ill-considered initial outlay.
    I completely understand you hesitation. Mine comes from the fact I have spent or committed to spent a lot on books recently. I am still thinking about this one.

  5. #545
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,714
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I actually listened to the preview and while he did not sound great, I didn't find him horrible. What about the narration do you dislike?
    I don't care for his style of reading and it sounds like he pauses in the middle of sentences, causing unnecessary breaks. I wasted a credit on it so I'll probably finish it. I wouldn't read it otherwise.

  6. #546
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,656
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I completely understand you hesitation. Mine comes from the fact I have spent or committed to spent a lot on books recently. I am still thinking about this one.
    Perhaps the payment plan is a solution for us both... ;-)

  7. #547
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I don't care for his style of reading and it sounds like he pauses in the middle of sentences, causing unnecessary breaks. I wasted a credit on it so I'll probably finish it. I wouldn't read it otherwise.
    I think you can exchange it for another title. Thanks for the input.

  8. #548
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Perhaps the payment plan is a solution for us both... ;-)
    If I chose to buy it I will probably just bite the bullet. What is the charge for the payment plan?
    Last edited by Martin; 08-12-2019 at 09:15 PM.

  9. #549
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,714
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I think you can exchange it for another title. Thanks for the input.
    Might end up doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If I chose to but it I will probably just bite the bullet. What is the charge for the payment plan?
    I believe it was around $30 for previous books. Not sure if it's based on the amount of purchase.

  10. #550
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I believe it was around $30 for previous books. Not sure if it's based on the amount of purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If I chose to but it I will probably just bite the bullet. What is the charge for the payment plan?
    Per the site, four payments of $68.75

  11. #551
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm kind of tempted for this, but I need to start being smarter about my purchases. And if I'm honest, the synopsis of this book freaks me out - I'm not sure I'll enjoy it or if it'll give me nightmares (which would be usual.)

  12. #552
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,714
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Per the site, four payments of $68.75
    The $30 I mention was the cost of the payment plan on top of the $68.75. Plus shipping and tax. Rough guess, you're probably looking more around $80 to $90 per month for the payment plan.

  13. #553
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,631
    Rep Power
    54
    Passing, too much coming up from Centipede and others!

  14. #554
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,656
    Rep Power
    14
    I don’t think it was a $30 fee for the plan, I seem to recall it being a flat 5%...I think. It was fairly nominal, but the shipping was around 35 bucks.

  15. #555
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    The $30 I mention was the cost of the payment plan on top of the $68.75. Plus shipping and tax. Rough guess, you're probably looking more around $80 to $90 per month for the payment plan.
    Ahhhh . . . I misunderstood.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I don’t think it was a $30 fee for the plan, I seem to recall it being a flat 5%...I think. It was fairly nominal, but the shipping was around 35 bucks.
    That sounds right. That's how I was actually able to get the Eyes of the Dragon art which allowed me to get Misery. Total unexpected bonus!

  16. #556
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,614
    Rep Power
    13
    I'm actually very much thinking about picking up one of the gift editions. It's not my favorite book from Joe Hill but after seeing multiple photos I would very much like to have at least one of Paul's books in my collection.

    Someone did note that there is some rubbing on the DJ from the slipcase. Anyone else notice this issue?

  17. #557
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm actually very much thinking about picking up one of the gift editions. It's not my favorite book from Joe Hill but after seeing multiple photos I would very much like to have at least one of Paul's books in my collection.

    Someone did note that there is some rubbing on the DJ from the slipcase. Anyone else notice this issue?
    I do not have rubbing but the book is a tight fit.

  18. #558
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm actually very much thinking about picking up one of the gift editions. It's not my favorite book from Joe Hill but after seeing multiple photos I would very much like to have at least one of Paul's books in my collection.

    Someone did note that there is some rubbing on the DJ from the slipcase. Anyone else notice this issue?
    I can honestly say only the first title from Suntup Press, Misery, caught my eye-I do wish I had got the gift edition for Misery. The other titles so far are of no interest to me.

    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  19. #559
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,614
    Rep Power
    13
    Thank you for the reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I do not have rubbing but the book is a tight fit.
    I have certainly enjoyed watching the progress of Suntup as a publisher. It's been fun and interesting. Some books have caught my eye more than others however every single one has had something about them that I've liked. I think I would have been very happy with Misery and The Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I can honestly say only the first title from Suntup Press, Misery, caught my eye-I do wish I had got the gift edition for Misery. The other titles so far are of no interest to me.

    Cap

  20. #560
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,861
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I can honestly say only the first title from Suntup Press, Misery, caught my eye-I do wish I had got the gift edition for Misery. The other titles so far are of no interest to me.

    Cap
    You know, the only title I was lukewarm about at the launch was HORNS. I've never read Hill and I hadn't heard much about that book. But seeing those editions come to life, I am beyond thrilled I got the numbered and the AGE. I think the AGE of HORNS is even better than MISERY and that one is a stunner.

    The selection of THE ROAD and BROTHER are two more outstanding picks from Paul. For sure there may be titles I'll be meh about in the future. Paul said he's got a sci-fi-fi book in the pipeline and I'm not crazy about those, but we'll see. The thing is, even if the title doesn't thrill me, I'm sure that Paul's production will. If I had the money for a time machine, I'd go back to when he offered lifetime subscriptions. And if I somehow had the money (owning a time machine would pretty much guarantee that I would have the money) then I'd get the top subscription he offered knowing it was money tremendously well-spent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •