Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Isn't that one gloomy story ?
    It’s a story of pure, incandescent parental love amid a gray and charred landscape. So, yes, gloomy...but blindingly bright in the love it portrays.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      It’s a story of pure, incandescent parental love amid a gray and charred landscape. So, yes, gloomy...but blindingly bright in the love it portrays.
      Interesting to hear that this is your favorite book, Ron. I have a first edition, but- I've never read it. On Purpose. The idea terrifies me, and not in a good way. As a father of a young boy.. I just don't think I could take the agony. I'm sure it's powerful, but I don't know if I want to put myself through the pain of that particular darkness. We all have to make our decisions on what we want out of our fiction. I think I lean more on the "entertainment" side than the "important" side, lol. But, I trust your opinion on a good book, so.. you got me wondering if I could hack it...

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
        Interesting to hear that this is your favorite book, Ron. I have a first edition, but- I've never read it. On Purpose. The idea terrifies me, and not in a good way. As a father of a young boy.. I just don't think I could take the agony. I'm sure it's powerful, but I don't know if I want to put myself through the pain of that particular darkness. We all have to make our decisions on what we want out of our fiction. I think I lean more on the "entertainment" side than the "important" side, lol. But, I trust your opinion on a good book, so.. you got me wondering if I could hack it...
        Ron, as a parent myself, it has a special resonance and a honed terror that makes it a very unique-but I think rewarding-experience. Certainly one doesn’t have to be a parent to appreciate the book, but I do think it gives one a particular way of identifying with the story...even though the two characters are never named, you’ll never forget them because you *are* them. I understand completely what you’re saying, but the power that it holds through the reflected love that you have for your own children makes it a stunning work, one of the very few books I’ve read that I would characterize as much art as it is fiction.

This line still at once warms and chills my heart:

“Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire.”

Comment

Ron, as a parent myself, it has a special resonance and a honed terror that makes it a very unique-but I think rewarding-experience. Certainly one doesn’t have to be a parent to appreciate the book, but I do think it gives one a particular way of identifying with the story...even though the two characters are never named, you’ll never forget them because you *are* them. I understand completely what you’re saying, but the power that it holds through the reflected love that you have for your own children makes it a stunning work, one of the very few books I’ve read that I would characterize as much art as it is fiction.

“Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire.”
          Wow- that line. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll reconsider giving it a try.

Comment

You are going to make passing on this one tough. Thanks for the views, I only know the basic premise as I have not read the story or watched the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              You are going to make passing on this one tough. Thanks for the views, I only know the basic premise as I have not read the story or watched the film.
              I’ve not seen the film either, even though the book is my favorite all-time novel… I don’t want Hollywood’s version, or really anyone’s vision other than McCarthy’s, to distort or otherwise taint the story, to assign faces and voices to the characters I see and hear in my mind’s eye. My experience with this book was unique to me (as it is to everyone) and I don’t want anyone or anything co-opting that experience and changing it, diluting it.

Comment

Definitely THE ROAD. My favorite book of all time...my heart is racing right now. Stunned and oh so pleased. Can’t wait for the announcement to see what is being offered.
                Me too. I am so terrified right now. How much will the numbered edition be? Will it be signed by McCarthy? Will I even be able to get it if it's something I can afford? This book is a must have for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  Will it be signed by McCarthy?
                  That one I can answer...and I have to presume the answer is 'no.' As I wrote over at TDT:

He wrote the book as a love letter to his young son, so for him it remains a private, intimate experience...it’s the only one of his books he refuses to sign for the public. From a Wall Street Journal interview:

——————-

WSJ: Why don't you sign copies of "The Road"

CM: There are signed copies of the book, but they all belong to my son John, so when he turns 18 he can sell them and go to Las Vegas or whatever. No, those are the only signed copies of the book.

WSJ: How many did you have?

CM: 250. So occasionally I get letters from book dealers or whoever that say, "I have a signed copy of the 'The Road,'" and I say, "No. You don't."

—————

That said, there were a number of first edition UK hard covers that included a special publisher’s signed bookplate laid in, but that’s it. Again, though, not really signed, per se, as the book itself was not signed.

Of course, I can’t know for sure…maybe Paul got him to change his mind, but I strongly doubt it.

Comment

Hell, this is how bad I treasure this book...I even got excited when I was able to find a copy of this, The Cormac McCarthy Journal, Volume 6, which was a special issue devoted exclusively to essays exploring the themes and issues within THE ROAD. The book itself wasn't enough...I wanted a book about the book.

31HEY1RHJJL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So with all that, yeah, I'll be snagging a copy of this with much excitement, to say the least...pricing and budget will be the only factors as to *which* edition I get, trade or numbered. Of course, other factors may enter into it that will make the more expensive numbered edition the obvious choice...I guess we'll see on Friday.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's my favourite book, but it's a bloody good one!
                      Although it's incredibly bleak, there is a rollercoaster of emotions in there. I read it when my kids were younger which may or may not have amplified the experience.
                      If you haven't read it, then you really should.

Comment

That one I can answer...and I have to presume the answer is 'no.' As I wrote over at TDT:

He wrote the book as a love letter to his young son, so for him it remains a private, intimate experience...it’s the only one of his books he refuses to sign for the public. From a Wall Street Journal interview:

——————-

WSJ: Why don't you sign copies of "The Road"

CM: There are signed copies of the book, but they all belong to my son John, so when he turns 18 he can sell them and go to Las Vegas or whatever. No, those are the only signed copies of the book.

WSJ: How many did you have?

CM: 250. So occasionally I get letters from book dealers or whoever that say, "I have a signed copy of the 'The Road,'" and I say, "No. You don't."

—————

That said, there were a number of first edition UK hard covers that included a special publisher’s signed bookplate laid in, but that’s it. Again, though, not really signed, per se, as the book itself was not signed.

Of course, I can’t know for sure…maybe Paul got him to change his mind, but I strongly doubt it.
                        Will be interesting to see what those copies sell for once they are released into the wild.

I'm not really feeling anything for this title as I haven't read it. I do wish Paul could/would have waited until RMB was paid for. Double payments next month will suck .

Comment

If it is The Road it will be very hard to pass up. This is one of the best books ever written. Being the father of 3 children who were all very young when I read this it sure resonated with me in a much different way had I not had children.
                          Like Pet Sematery probably would have if I hadn't read it before becoming a parent .
                          Any Way guess I'll just have to wait and see if it's going to for in my budget

Comment

I think we can expect a price tag of at least $600+ for this title. Especially if it’s as good as you guys say it is and dude hasn’t signed it otherwise. The best you can hope for is an AGE on the cheap.

I’m also not sure if this isn’t Pet Sematary due to the stony nature of the video. Unless that’s something significant in The Road.
                            Last edited by Brian861; 03-28-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              I think we can expect a price tag of at least $600+ for this title. Especially if it’s as good as you guys say it is and dude hasn’t signed it otherwise. The best you can hope for is an AGE on the cheap.

I’m also not sure if this isn’t Pet Sematary due to the stony nature of the video. Unless that’s something significant in The Road.
                              I took it as the charred, broken, stony surface of the road upon which they walk on their journey. And, yes, it is very good...don’t just take my word for it, though, it also won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for its year of publication.

Comment

I read the first page of an online sample of The Road; the writing was all choppy sentences - is this what the whole book is like?
                                Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Working...
                                X