Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    That is a great story, Jeff. Thank you for sharing that with us. Whomever did that for you definitely has a large heart. What I think makes this extra special is that this wasn’t a “need” being fulfilled like food or medicine or something that would push someone off the edge into action. This was “just” a book. And the only reason to do this was out of kindness. The world needs kindness. Not just during the tragedies, not just during life or death matters, but in simple ways everyday.

I’m happy for you, Jeff. But I’m also happy that we are involved in a community (whether it’s this forum, thedarktower.org, or small press collectors in general) where these types of actions occur.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    That gives me the warm fuzzies and I wasn't even involved. What an awesome gesture. There is such a sense of community here on this forum. Perhaps more than "community", that doesn't seem like the right word. Kinship, maybe.

I am still somewhat new here, but I am impressed by the friendliness and camaraderie of the members here. I have always been a Stephen King fan but not a "fanatic" so Cemetery Dance was something I was aware of but not really engaged in. Then, my all-time favorite author Robert McCammon made the move to CD and I followed him here. I'm glad I did
    That is precisely why this is the only place on the internet that I participate in. No Facebook, no instagram, nothing. Just here on this forum. The CD forum rocks!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Fantastic news, Jeff, and what a great gesture on your mysterious benefactor's part...as others have said, it just goes to show what a uniquely special set of folks make up our little collecting community. Congrats again -- very happy things worked out for you. :-)

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I have no idea how to write this post. I've been thinking about all the things I want to say and none of them are sufficient. No words I have are enough. Nothing I can cobble together from my hyperactive scattered thoughts can come close to expressing my amazement, my gratitude, and my absolute euphoria at what I learned yesterday. Someone worked with Paul to ensure that I would have my number of Rosemary's Baby at a time when buying the book for myself was an impossibility. I absolutely hated passing on that book and apparently I let everyone on these message boards know and I never imagined the level of generosity out there in this collecting community.

I don't know who i have to thank. But whoever that person is or who those people are, just know this: I simply cannot thank you enough. There's no way. This act means the world to me especially during the incredibly dark year I've been living. Words are just not sufficient.

I will try to balance out the universe somehow. I'll try to "pay it forward" as the disgraced actor's movie once commanded. I know I'll be reading this post back again and again hating that I couldn't pack this massive swirl of emotion into the two short simple monosyllabic words, the only words I can catch in my scrambling brain, the only words that will have to do until my actions can say the rest: THANK YOU.
    That is awesome, Jeff! I'm beyond happy for you right now! I believe the universe has paid if forward for you. You have tremendous wit, sense of humor, and you keep us in stitches. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a dark year Hopefully this will help brighten things up moving forward.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Thank you all! I really hope to help make someone else feel half as fantastic as this insanely generous gesture has made me feel. I'm happy to share this story so that we can all appreciate just what a wonderful community we have here. My head is still spinning.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Jeff, that is a fantastic story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing. If the person who did this is on this board I just want to saw thank you. Gestures like this are a part of why this collecting community is so special!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Thank you all! I really hope to help make someone else feel half as fantastic as this insanely generous gesture has made me feel. I'm happy to share this story so that we can all appreciate just what a wonderful community we have here. My head is still spinning.
    This is amazing! Congratulations Jeff. What a wonderful gesture. I recently had a similar thing happen to me. It just goes to show that there are still a lot of great people around, even if the bad guys get all the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    This is amazing! Congratulations Jeff. What a wonderful gesture. I recently had a similar thing happen to me. It just goes to show that there are still a lot of great people around, even if the bad guys get all the headlines.
    Really, for a bunch of screaming horror fans, this community is loaded with some of the kindest, friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Jeff, that is a fantastic story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing. If the person who did this is on this board I just want to saw thank you. Gestures like this are a part of why this collecting community is so special!

So so so true. I've always loved reading about the stuff others have done for this community (like Brian861's bookshelves). I just never imagined I'd be on the receiving end!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That is awesome, Jeff! I'm beyond happy for you right now! I believe the universe has paid if forward for you. You have tremendous wit, sense of humor, and you keep us in stitches. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a dark year Hopefully this will help brighten things up moving forward.
    It certainly has brightened a dark year. Some stuff is still ongoing, but there is light. And wow, this is just tremendous. I toast you and everyone here. Stuff like this makes me want to be a better person and the good just radiates out.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    I'm so happy to hear about this random act of kindness. As primarily a lurker, I love your work Jeff and hope things keep improving for you.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Dude - I remember someone on this board doing something equally as generous and unexpected.

Maybe the universe is okay sometimes and there is still good out there.

I have no idea how to write this post. I've been thinking about all the things I want to say and none of them are sufficient. No words I have are enough. Nothing I can cobble together from my hyperactive scattered thoughts can come close to expressing my amazement, my gratitude, and my absolute euphoria at what I learned yesterday. Someone worked with Paul to ensure that I would have my number of Rosemary's Baby at a time when buying the book for myself was an impossibility. I absolutely hated passing on that book and apparently I let everyone on these message boards know and I never imagined the level of generosity out there in this collecting community.

I don't know who i have to thank. But whoever that person is or who those people are, just know this: I simply cannot thank you enough. There's no way. This act means the world to me especially during the incredibly dark year I've been living. Words are just not sufficient.

I will try to balance out the universe somehow. I'll try to "pay it forward" as the disgraced actor's movie once commanded. I know I'll be reading this post back again and again hating that I couldn't pack this massive swirl of emotion into the two short simple monosyllabic words, the only words I can catch in my scrambling brain, the only words that will have to do until my actions can say the rest: THANK YOU.

The Road is up for preorder tomorrow!!!

Ron, are you still passing on this one? This is your last chance to grab it. I imagine it will go quickly. I've been hilariously wrong before, so maybe it won't sell out all that quickly and maybe there's not a lot of interest in it. Just consider, as it's been pointed out to me--this time Paul put the word out two weeks in advance of the public preorder. AND he is opening the preorder window on a Saturday. So word has gotten a chance to spread and more people are able to be in front of a computer at the time it opens.

And this is the best book ever written.

If I were you--even remotely on the fence--I would buy it and see if I was still unimpressed after seeing it and holding it. Then you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. You'll either have a fantastic edition or a nice little profit.

I only make this appeal because regret is an unrelenting adversary.

We carry the fire.

Holy shit we carry the fire.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    That is mighty pricey considered it's not signed by the author.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar

Ron, are you still passing on this one? This is your last chance to grab it. I imagine it will go quickly. I've been hilariously wrong before, so maybe it won't sell out all that quickly and maybe there's not a lot of interest in it. Just consider, as it's been pointed out to me--this time Paul put the word out two weeks in advance of the public preorder. AND he is opening the preorder window on a Saturday. So word has gotten a chance to spread and more people are able to be in front of a computer at the time it opens.

If I were you--even remotely on the fence--I would buy it and see if I was still unimpressed after seeing it and holding it. Then you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. You'll either have a fantastic edition or a nice little profit.

We carry the fire.

This is an easy pass for me. I also expect it to be available for at least 24 hours. That is just my opinion and I have been wrong twice before!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar

We carry the fire.

I'll be wrong with you, Jeff but I think you're right. If one wants it, best to be ready to go. Horns sold out in 6 hours and is the fastest for the non-King track. This just might go under that considering how many folks dig this book.

And the author will never sign this book outside of the ones he did for his son. Non-issue.

Member Part-timer
    No, I think it's a huge issue. I would have passed on Misery if King hadn't signed it. Joe Hill signs everything and, of course, The Haunting of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby were non issues since the authors have passed. At least, to me, an author's signature on their book means everything.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    That is mighty pricey considered it's not signed by the author.
    I'm going to write "Cormac McCarthy" in mine.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I'm going to write "Cormac McCarthy" in mine.
    Hope you practiced the signature sufficient times.. Don't end up writing your own name and then tearing the page off

Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Hope you practiced the signature sufficient times.. Don't end up writing your own name and then tearing the page off
    I could see that happening. Easily. But instead of tearing the page off, I'll fix it. The sig will appear as "Cormac 'Jeffingoff' McCarthy."