Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 929

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

  1. #341
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Hi, my name is Brian. I'm addicted to Suntup (and every other thing book related). I ordered two copies yesterday
    Also, I might not be authorized to share this, but I heard that Joe Hill is going to sign all editions of Rosemary's Baby. Paul tried to stop him, but Joe got to the signature sheets somehow.

  2. #342
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Also, I might not be authorized to share this, but I heard that Joe Hill is going to sign all editions of Rosemary's Baby. Paul tried to stop him, but Joe got to the signature sheets somehow.
    I did "spring" for the lettered of "Flight or Fright". $1,500 but I trust CD to do a fabulous job and it will be my first SK lettered!

  3. #343
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpheel View Post
    I did "spring" for the lettered of "Flight or Fright". $1,500 but I trust CD to do a fabulous job and it will be my first SK lettered!
    Congrats! Someday I too will own an SK Lettered edition. Even if it means forging his signature and writing a letter inside my trade edition of THE STAND. To make it believable, I'll give myself the letter L.

  4. #344
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Congrats! Someday I too will own an SK Lettered edition. Even if it means forging his signature and writing a letter inside my trade edition of THE STAND. To make it believable, I'll give myself the letter L.
    Just make sure you check for typos. Nobody wants a forged letter with typos. So tacky.

  5. #345
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Also, I might not be authorized to share this, but I heard that Joe Hill is going to sign all editions of Rosemary's Baby. Paul tried to stop him, but Joe got to the signature sheets somehow.
    Now, that's funny LOL!

  6. #346
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,631
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Not to completely derail this thread, BUT there's another guy in a Facebook group bemoaning the long wait times and missed deadlines in the small publishing world. He's accusing some unnamed presses of running Ponzi schemes. He could avoid it all by simply cancelling his orders and not buying. But I guess he wants the added excitement of complaining?
    And not to derail, your derailing and I'm not complaining, just wondering, did the guy that was going to do the Salem's Lot edition ever get it off the ground? I did pay for it, but I wouldn't pursue anything about it. Just wondering?? Do Y'all remember who I'm talking about?

  7. #347
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Not to completely derail this thread, BUT there's another guy in a Facebook group bemoaning the long wait times and missed deadlines in the small publishing world. He's accusing some unnamed presses of running Ponzi schemes. He could avoid it all by simply cancelling his orders and not buying. But I guess he wants the added excitement of complaining?
    It's not an entirely invalid complaint. The small press publishing industry is quite unique in the amount of time it can take for a product you've paid for to be received. I can't think of many other consumer products that people purchase and can still be waiting for a number of years later.
    It's an easy argument to say that you don't need to purchase these books. This is absolutely true but it's also true that small press publishers could run their business like any other.

    Anyway, back to topic.

  8. #348
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,903
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpheel View Post
    I found out a long time ago there is no use in complaining. When you deal with the small press, delays are going to happen. Case in point, "Turn Down The Lights" is over 5 years and counting. CD has been very good in explaining the reasons for this and I always had the option of cancelling. Hopefully this year?
    The problem with Turn Down The Lights wasn't even Cemetery Dances fault. I believe the signiture sheets went missing or came back damaged and the signing process had to start over.
    I have faith in Cemetery Dance getting the product out. I can remember a time when things were really rough with CD and everyone including the staff were not sure what was happening.

  9. #349
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    And not to derail, your derailing and I'm not complaining, just wondering, did the guy that was going to do the Salem's Lot edition ever get it off the ground? I did pay for it, but I wouldn't pursue anything about it. Just wondering?? Do Y'all remember who I'm talking about?
    Are you talking about the Nocturnal Reader’s Box, who advertised a new edition of a King book...not sure if it was SALEM’S LOT or not. If that’s the one you mean, that was reportedly a con to begin with, and any $$ you may have invested in the book is long, long gone from this shuttered outfit.

  10. #350
    Member Part-timer rjmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Are you talking about the Nocturnal Reader’s Box, who advertised a new edition of a King book...not sure if it was SALEM’S LOT or not. If that’s the one you mean, that was reportedly a con to begin with, and any $$ you may have invested in the book is long, long gone from this shuttered outfit.
    I don't think the book itself was a con. However, they alluded to having signed copies by King and subscriber's to their service would have a better chance of acquiring one. Then, when the book was opened for preorder, they announced there would not be any signed copies. Regardless, it was the beginning of the end for NRB which imploded spectacularly a few months later.

  11. #351
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    The problem with Turn Down The Lights wasn't even Cemetery Dances fault. I believe the signiture sheets went missing or came back damaged and the signing process had to start over.
    I have faith in Cemetery Dance getting the product out. I can remember a time when things were really rough with CD and everyone including the staff were not sure what was happening.
    Right. They got 9 (or 10) signatures and then the signature sheets were lost and they had to do it all over again with artists all over the world. That takes time! And it's the communication that makes the difference. As long as I'm informed, I'm good.

  12. #352
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It's not an entirely invalid complaint. The small press publishing industry is quite unique in the amount of time it can take for a product you've paid for to be received. I can't think of many other consumer products that people purchase and can still be waiting for a number of years later.
    It's an easy argument to say that you don't need to purchase these books. This is absolutely true but it's also true that small press publishers could run their business like any other.

    Anyway, back to topic.

    True, it's not an invalid complaint for the uninitiated. If you're not familiar with the small press world and how each press operates, then it can seem very unreasonable to wait YEARS for a purchase. But these editions are luxuries. Indulgences. And the people who seek them out are already going out of their way to get them. So it's understood that you have to make a few exceptions if you want to buy something exceptional. I think that publishers could do themselves a favor by either announcing the books and making them available for preorder once they are closer to being published or setting expectations for a long wait up front. If at the pre-order window you're told the book won't be published for 15 months, then you'll know it will be a while and can't complain. Even though people will anyway. There's no winning. Maybe publishers should just stock vending machines with their books so people can belly up to them and slide their greasy dollars in and get their books immediately. Unless they get stuck on the springs. This post is a novella. Soon to be published by CD.

  13. #353
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    And not to derail, your derailing and I'm not complaining, just wondering, did the guy that was going to do the Salem's Lot edition ever get it off the ground? I did pay for it, but I wouldn't pursue anything about it. Just wondering?? Do Y'all remember who I'm talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Are you talking about the Nocturnal Reader’s Box, who advertised a new edition of a King book...not sure if it was SALEM’S LOT or not. If that’s the one you mean, that was reportedly a con to begin with, and any $$ you may have invested in the book is long, long gone from this shuttered outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmyers View Post
    I don't think the book itself was a con. However, they alluded to having signed copies by King and subscriber's to their service would have a better chance of acquiring one. Then, when the book was opened for preorder, they announced there would not be any signed copies. Regardless, it was the beginning of the end for NRB which imploded spectacularly a few months later.
    Yes it was NRB and it was 'Salem's Lot. I bought TWO King boxes. I saw early design sketches for the front boards. And I will never see the actual books. I don't believe it was a con. Even with the promise of the signature. I think Vincent was super ambitious. Maybe something of an adrenaline junkie who had a gambler's spirit and played fast and loose with the process hoping shit would just magically come together when he needed it to. He risked it all and lost it all. And it didn't help that he was a hot head who borderline abused collectors and customers who complained. It was a mess and I'm out $150. I'll see if I can find those designs . . .

  14. #354
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Early sketch of the NRB edition of 'Salem's Lot.

    31562344_1997469527172009_544046595465805824_n.jpg

  15. #355
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,028
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yes it was NRB and it was 'Salem's Lot. I bought TWO King boxes. I saw early design sketches for the front boards. And I will never see the actual books. I don't believe it was a con. Even with the promise of the signature. I think Vincent was super ambitious. Maybe something of an adrenaline junkie who had a gambler's spirit and played fast and loose with the process hoping shit would just magically come together when he needed it to. He risked it all and lost it all. And it didn't help that he was a hot head who borderline abused collectors and customers who complained. It was a mess and I'm out $150. I'll see if I can find those designs . . .
    You lost money on the NRB closure? My bank issued me full refunds.

  16. #356
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You lost money on the NRB closure? My bank issued me full refunds.
    Yep. I asked for a refund from my CC and even sent them the emails where Vincent was explicitly saying he would issue refunds and I never saw a credit to my account. I did give up looking, so maybe it snuck in there at some point. But I never saw it. $150 lesson.

    Vincent's (parent's) next venture Horror Bees also dissolved.

  17. #357
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,912
    Rep Power
    28
    Honestly I think the whole "Blind Box" thing is a slowly dying fad anyways. Even the juggernaut Loot Crate has had to make some major changes to their boxes in the past 2 years to keep it relevant. NRB was kinda late to the game in that respect.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  18. #358
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Honestly I think the whole "Blind Box" thing is a slowly dying fad anyways. Even the juggernaut Loot Crate has had to make some major changes to their boxes in the past 2 years to keep it relevant. NRB was kinda late to the game in that respect.
    That never interested me because I don't want to spend money and "hope" I like what someone else picks out. Seems too risky to me.

  19. #359
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,028
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yep. I asked for a refund from my CC and even sent them the emails where Vincent was explicitly saying he would issue refunds and I never saw a credit to my account. I did give up looking, so maybe it snuck in there at some point. But I never saw it. $150 lesson.

    Vincent's (parent's) next venture Horror Bees also dissolved.
    My bank issued a provisional credit within 3 days and about a month later sent a letter saying I would not be charged. You may want to follow-up with your bank.

  20. #360
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,912
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    That never interested me because I don't want to spend money and "hope" I like what someone else picks out. Seems too risky to me.
    There's that, but also they are often just padded out with junk. Pins, stickers, patches, stuff you don't really need or even normally want. Loot Crate used to be really bad about it. They'd give you like 15 thins in a box, but all but 1 or 2 things would be junk you'd probably end up just throwing away. They've really paired it down to being 1 or 2 "filler items" and 3 or 4 bigger ticket items. Usually a vinyl figure, a t-shirt, and something else. Honestly it's kinda why we've scaled back on that type of stuff for the CDCC, because most people didn't really care about it at all.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •