No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was disappointed to see that the AGE of I AM LEGEND was printed in China. I don't think I have any other books that were printed outside of the U.S.

Comment

Received my IAL Artist’s Edition today...a beautiful volume of one of my favorite novels.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Received my IAL Artist’s Edition today...a beautiful volume of one of my favorite novels.
        It really is nice, isn't it? That dust jacket is so pretty! I'm assuming you have the signed Gauntlet edition, Ron? I brought mine out, to decide if I still needed to keep it or not. It's not so much the Matheson signature (well, I would be lying a tad there; while normally I don't give too high a deal-maker or breaker to signatures, in this case, It's SO important a novel and author to our beloved chosen genre that I feel the sig in the novel rises above my usual cavalier attitude towards them), but it's probably more that I would hate losing the intro's (twofer!) by Johnson & Simmons, and afterward by Etchison.

Aside from the extra content (and, aforementioned sig), I think most of us agree that Gauntlet's books generally leave a little bit to be desired, aesthetically. I know Barry has always defended the rather Plain Jane covers on his Matheson titles as 'that's the way the man wanted it', and, fair enough, but- they are just plain dull. No way around it. Especially when you see it next to that glorious Meltzoff wraparound DJ on the Suntup edition. When I had them next to each other, I noticed immediately that the two editions are pretty much exactly the same size. Of course I tried out the Suntup DJ on the Gauntlet and it fits perfectly, looks great, and fits back into it's native slipcase just fine. I toyed with the idea of seeing if Suntup offered extra DJ's of their IAL- and they do. But, they want $20 for a single dust jacket. Ouch. I then remembered that I similarly balked when I wanted an extra DJ for the gift edition for Suntup's ROSEMARY'S BABY (for reasons that are a mild spoiler, so I'll leave it there). Anyway, not worth 25% of the book price to me for a spare DJ, but just an observation for anyone who might want to cover their ho-hum Gauntlet edition in a beautiful DJ.

Comment

My copy still shows a Monday delivery date but it has left the Portland Post Office for my local post office. About 98% of the time I have the item the next day once it reaches my local PO. Would not be surprised to see this one tomorrow. I bought, and am excited to get, a book of a story I did not really care for when I first read it. Go figure.

Comment

So while the Red Dragon statue isn’t exactly my jam, I do think it’s awesome that Paul is doing things like this and the art prints for the various books. Most books outside of the realm of Stephen King don’t get these kind of pieces made for them.

And for the record—Jeff, feel free to say “I told so”—I am regretting passing on I Am Legend and the art print.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
              It really is nice, isn't it? That dust jacket is so pretty! I'm assuming you have the signed Gauntlet edition, Ron? I brought mine out, to decide if I still needed to keep it or not. It's not so much the Matheson signature (well, I would be lying a tad there; while normally I don't give too high a deal-maker or breaker to signatures, in this case, It's SO important a novel and author to our beloved chosen genre that I feel the sig in the novel rises above my usual cavalier attitude towards them), but it's probably more that I would hate losing the intro's (twofer!) by Johnson & Simmons, and afterward by Etchison.
              I sure do, Ron...this Suntup edition makes for a very atypical duplicate (well, alternate), but it’s one of my favorite novels and my signed Gauntlet isn’t going anywhere. It’s deliberately plain, sure, but the first deluxe edition of IAL — and signed by Matheson — well, that’d be one of the last volumes to leave my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Aside from the extra content (and, aforementioned sig), I think most of us agree that Gauntlet's books generally leave a little bit to be desired, aesthetically. I know Barry has always defended the rather Plain Jane covers on his Matheson titles as 'that's the way the man wanted it', and, fair enough, but- they are just plain dull. No way around it. Especially when you see it next to that glorious Meltzoff wraparound DJ on the Suntup edition. When I had them next to each other, I noticed immediately that the two editions are pretty much exactly the same size. Of course I tried out the Suntup DJ on the Gauntlet and it fits perfectly, looks great, and fits back into it's native slipcase just fine. I toyed with the idea of seeing if Suntup offered extra DJ's of their IAL- and they do. But, they want $20 for a single dust jacket. Ouch. I then remembered that I similarly balked when I wanted an extra DJ for the gift edition for Suntup's ROSEMARY'S BABY (for reasons that are a mild spoiler, so I'll leave it there). Anyway, not worth 25% of the book price to me for a spare DJ, but just an observation for anyone who might want to cover their ho-hum Gauntlet edition in a beautiful DJ.
                Might I suggest a win win solution: just display your Suntup with the jacket off and slip that DJ over the Gaunlet edition. I LOVE the Suntup books without their DJs. Though I do think Paul makes fantastic choices for the art when he does Dust Jackets. So I'm not about to toss any of them, but your situation seems like the perfect opportunity to have both the wonderful DJ and the revealed spine.
                IAL1.jpg
                IAL2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  So while the Red Dragon statue isn’t exactly my jam, I do think it’s awesome that Paul is doing things like this and the art prints for the various books. Most books outside of the realm of Stephen King don’t get these kind of pieces made for them.

And for the record—Jeff, feel free to say “I told so”—I am regretting passing on I Am Legend and the art print.
                  I would take absolutely no pleasure in saying I told you so! I'm sorry that your mind has changed since passing on this book. Sometimes the book is just not the right choice. Like Suntup's edition of The Road for Ron. Every book can't be for everyone. And it works both ways. I have a BUNCH of books I regret buying for one reason or another.

Comment

I'll tell you a press I enjoy, Tartarus. They always have interesting titles and their books about books are always spot on. And they're super affordable. Here's my latest edition. They have an upcoming title listed on Camelot's site, Past Lives of Old Books and Other Essays by R.B. Russell. Have a great weekend everybody!!
                    Freaks.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      I'll tell you a press I enjoy, Tartarus. They always have interesting titles and their books about books are always spot on. And they're super affordable. Here's my latest edition. They have an upcoming title listed on Camelot's site, Past Lives of Old Books and Other Essays by R.B. Russell. Have a great weekend everybody!!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]22187[/ATTACH]
                      Congrats on the Robbins book — I thought long and hard about that one, and while I decided to pass, I may still pick it up one of these days soon...same with the recently announced Russell book that you mention, that one looks great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22187[/ATTACH]
                        Love that cover. I may have to take a look at Tartarus.

On a completely different note. My I Am Legend Artist Gift Edition arrived and it is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          Might I suggest a win win solution: just display your Suntup with the jacket off and slip that DJ over the Gaunlet edition. I LOVE the Suntup books without their DJs. Though I do think Paul makes fantastic choices for the art when he does Dust Jackets. So I'm not about to toss any of them, but your situation seems like the perfect opportunity to have both the wonderful DJ and the revealed spine.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22185[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22186[/ATTACH]
                          I actually toyed with that very idea, Jeff. You're right- He does do good spines! Kinda "Folio"-esque, you might say. Nice pics!

Comment

Pics of the Artist Edition of I AM LEGEND:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...248102402?s=21

Comment

When my AGE of IAL arrived, I opened it, flipped through some pages and thought "looks nice, but I thought it was signed, guess I was wrong."

And then I saw a signature page . . .

I didn't realize that the last couple of AGEs had their signature pages in the back like how Centipede does. So I guess my copy of RB is even nicer now since it "just" got signed.

Comment

I think that is the first time I have noted this however maybe that is more common but not as obviously stated. It kind of makes me want to pull some books down and look.

Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
                                I was disappointed to see that the AGE of I AM LEGEND was printed in China. I don't think I have any other books that were printed outside of the U.S.
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X