Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff,
    Just saw your latest unboxing. Congratulations, you are building an impressive Suntup ARC collection!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Jeff,
        Just saw your latest unboxing. Congratulations, you are building an impressive Suntup ARC collection!
        Thank you! The more ARCs I get, the more I become Gollum and the more Smeagol dies.

Comment

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson:

https://suntup.press/the-lottery?utm...eid=f3112df0fc

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
            Even at $7.60 per page, I think I'll go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
              Even at $7.60 per page, I think I'll go for it.
              Not me. I love The Lottery but that’s definitely an over priced short story. At least to me. Congratulations to all who are jumping on this one. I just can’t justify it for one story. If it was the whole collection.....maybe

Comment

Easy pass for me. Price point and the artwork are a no go for me.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Goddamn, $350 for less than 50 pages. I respect what Paul is doing, but at some point it moves from "making fine editions of books I love" to "taking advantage of collectors' FOMO."

Comment

I don't know what FOMO means but 46 pages for $350 bucks? This seems like something for the hardcore collectors only.

Waiting for the $1000 flash fiction broadside.

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                    Goddamn, $350 for less than 50 pages. I respect what Paul is doing, but at some point it moves from "making fine editions of books I love" to "taking advantage of collectors' FOMO."
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

It's fear of missing out. My personal opinion is that it's borderline abusive to charge that much for a short story, knowing you have a built-in audience that will shell out not because they particularly want an exceptionally fine edition of a single short story, but because they don't want to lose their place in line for the next book.

I was already kind of leaning toward this opinion with The Bridges of Madison County because it was such a substantial shift in genre, but at least that was a whole novel.

Comment

I got my copy. I really love the art in this one. And I remember how chilling the story is. Happy to add it there next to Hill House. Feels like coming home.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          It's fear of missing out. My personal opinion is that it's borderline abusive to charge that much for a short story, knowing you have a built-in audience that will shell out not because they particularly want an exceptionally fine edition of a single short story, but because they don't want to lose their place in line for the next book.

I was already kind of leaning toward this opinion with The Bridges of Madison County because it was such a substantial shift in genre, but at least that was a whole novel.
                          I don't think I'll be getting the next Suntup release so at least for me this book wasn't about keeping my number. Unless the next book is the cheapest book Paul ever published (I'm talking under $200) I'll have to bow out. Just can't keep going at a Suntup every month. Even if my employment status remains unchanged. I really love the idea of a standalone edition of The Lottery. It's crazy and unique at just 46 pages. So I'm jazzed about this release.

Comment

I was pretty excited by the early editions released by Suntup Press. The recent extremely expensive editions by long dead authors - less so.
                            $350 for a short story. Yeah, I'm definitely not the target audience for that one.

I'd also like to to know how Suntup source their exotic covers. The use of shagreen stingray for the lettered edition isn't something I'm particularly comfortable with.

https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...kins-heres-why

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-stingray-skin

Comment

Maybe it's the estate who would be charging extravagant amount also to give permissions to print etc etc. But at any rate if i print a dictionary with letterpress on bling bling paper and charge a $1000 and call it an exotic edition in a beautiful slipcase, would anyone buy ? At some point i think people would rather value what they're getting for the money they are spending. Even more during crazy times when people are more conservative about money. This recent release didn't even create an ounce of excitement for me. I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
                                Maybe it's the estate who would be charging extravagant amount also to give permissions to print etc etc. But at any rate if i print a dictionary with letterpress on bling bling paper and charge a $1000 and call it an exotic edition in a beautiful slipcase, would anyone buy ? At some point i think people would rather value what they're getting for the money they are spending. Even more during crazy times when people are more conservative about money. This recent release didn't even create an ounce of excitement for me. I'll pass.
                                I get your reaction--especially now with the world upside down. I was wondering how this slim edition would sell in light of all I've been reading in forums and on social media. I've seen a lot of people (some who have been Suntup collectors from the beginning) selling their copies as their situations change and it sure seems like I'm watching animals fleeing a fire I don't feel yet. And this release so close on the heels of F451 with the next Suntup announcement just a month away. With all that considered, this edition is selling very well. I don't think it's outpacing Red Dragon, but I think it's doing better than F451.

Comment

Working...
                                X