Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1099

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Looks like this deal is sold out. I was going to pull the trigger and thankfully has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    This seems like a pretty good deal from Dark Regions Press:

Order Brother by Ania Ahlborn Signed & Numbered Slipcased Hardcover With Coupon Code DRAGON and Get Red Dragon Free!

*** Limited Special! *** Order Brother by Ania Ahlborn Signed & Numbered Slipcased Hardcover with Coupon Code DRAGON at Checkout and Get Red Dragon by Thomas Harris Artist Gift Edition as a Free Bonus With Your Order!

Limit 1 Per Customer/Household total for both Brother and Red Dragon including bonus copies.

https://darkregions.com/products/bro...cover-preorder

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Yeah, I think there were only three of them available. I suspect they sold quickly.

For some reason I have fever to buy another book. Not really sure why but I'm sure a medical professional could explain it.

I was thinking of buying Brother, which I thought was just an okay book, which happens to look very nice. I then thought that The Road is one of my favorites and if I'm thinking of spending so much on Brother why don't I see if anyone is selling a copy of The Road...It would only be a little bit more money...

Luckily, and so far, I hadn't seen a copy of the lesser priced edition of The Road for sale.

I need help.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 01-24-2020 at 06:41 PM.

I am very surprised no one has "pushed" me into buying a copy of Brother. Where are the crazed book collectors on this? LOL LOL

If anyone has a copy of "The Road" Limited that they are interested in parting with I may be a buyer. TBH I would need to break payments up, or pass altogether, dependent on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    For some reason I have fever to buy another book. Not really sure why but I'm sure a medical professional could explain it.

I was thinking of buying Brother, which I thought was just an okay book, which happens to look very nice. I then thought that The Road is one of my favorites and if I'm thinking of spending so much on Brother why don't I see if anyone is selling a copy of The Road...It would only be a little bit more money...

Luckily, and so far, I hadn't seen a copy of the lesser priced edition of The Road for sale.

I need help.

Spoiler!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I am very surprised no one has "pushed" me into buying a copy of Brother. Where are the crazed book collectors on this? LOL LOL
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to push anyone into buying a book that expensive. If you were on the fence about the Red Dragon GE, I'd probably give you a nudge, but Brother is a whole different ball game.

Yep. I agree. Brother is another level and The Road is above that.

That is why I hadn't bought Brother yet but is the reason why I have some interest in The Road. I figure if I am going to try and spend more I might as well buy a book I really love.

On that same note I initially started collecting books as an SK fan. I could take that money and buy some upgraded copies of books that I have in my collection that are rather rough.

Decisions. Decisions.

P.S. Maybe "Push" wasn't the right word.

P.P.S. I already ordered a GE of Red Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to push anyone into buying a book that expensive. If you were on the fence about the Red Dragon GE, I'd probably give you a nudge, but Brother is a whole different ball game.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar

That is why I hadn't bought Brother yet but is the reason why I have some interest in The Road. I figure if I am going to try and spend more I might as well buy a book I really love.

On that same note I initially started collecting books as an SK fan. I could take that money and buy some upgraded copies of books that I have in my collection that are rather rough.

Decisions. Decisions.

I have purchased Brother, although I do not have my copy yet. I have also read it really enjoyed the story. I passed on The Road because I am sure I would find value in the book. I simply did not love enough to warrant the retail.\

For you. My recommendation would be to spend your dollars were you get the most satisfaction and joy from. If upgrading your King collection is that location, go for it. If not spending for a while until you have enough to afford a copy if The Road, make it happen.

I am quick to "Push" people to buy books. With that said, I want people to buy the books that work best for their collection. Good luck with your decisions. We are all their in some way.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar

Decisions. Decisions.

Unfortunately The Road is one of the Suntups that has increased the most on the secondary. It's at least doubled. I hope you're able t wrangle one because it is a fantastic edition. But Brother is also stellar and less than half the price. Or get the AGE of I Am Legend. Or as an SK collector, save all your money for whenever Paul announces another King book. I'm sure it'll be crazy when he does.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Just saw the latest video and my takeaway: C’mon, Jeff, that RB *must* be signed! Even your dog thought your idea of leaving it blank was so atrocious that it had to (very literally) crouch and crap all over it as you uttered it. Man up or down a few Stouts in rapid succession to steady your hand or have your neighbor number it or send it back to Paul for numbering or or or...but by all that’s holy, get that naked thing numbered!

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Just saw the latest video and my takeaway: C’mon, Jeff, that RB *must* be signed! Even your dog thought your idea of leaving it blank was so atrocious that it had to (very literally) crouch and crap all over it as you uttered it. Man up or down a few Stouts in rapid succession to steady your hand or have your neighbor number it or send it back to Paul for numbering or or or...but by all that’s holy, get that naked thing numbered!
    I should do a poll. A non-binding poll where people are free to share what they would do in my situation and I will use the info to help me decide.

Your position of numbering it 23 is ver y much the way I'm leaning. For a while, numbering it 666 in blood was my top choice. But now I'm kinda warming to leaving it blank. How exquisitely rare that would be!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I should do a poll. A non-binding poll where people are free to share what they would do in my situation and I will use the info to help me decide.

Your position of numbering it 23 is very much the way I'm leaning. For a while, numbering it 666 in blood was my top choice. But now I'm kinda warming to leaving it blank. How exquisitely rare that would be!
    I'd say leave it blank. You have the letter from Paul and it's a rarity that probably will never occur again.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    You did the right thing. You can even see a dog celebrating your choice at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    But now I'm kinda warming to leaving it blank. How exquisitely rare that would be!
    I see you need convincin', friend.

Signed & limited, numbered & slipcased books aren't like stamps and coins, where an aberration, an error, in one (or a limited few) among the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of regular items make it a unique, prized thing. Signed/limited books with individual numbers are *meant* to be uniquely prized, they are inherently by their nature of a limited number and it's that limited run -- and especially their individual number -- that makes them unique. Just like a PC designation, a missing number devalues the book, takes away their unique nature...now it's just a screw-up that isn't as prized as the rest. Would one see the same value in a piece of art that was (somehow) accidentally bound upside down in the book? Or a splash of ink from a printer's error? Or spotting on a page-block edge from the shipper's diarrhetic dog? Or Cheetos smears from a too-interested postman? All these things would make it different from the rest, but they don't make it more rare or prized -- they're just screw-ups that diminish the appeal...just like the lack of a number.

Daggummit, number that book, Jeff!

I see you need convincin', friend.

Signed & limited, numbered & slipcased books aren't like stamps and coins, where an aberration, an error, in one (or a limited few) among the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of regular items make it a unique, prized thing. Signed/limited books with individual numbers are *meant* to be uniquely prized, they are inherently by their nature of a limited number and it's that limited run -- and especially their individual number -- that makes them unique. Just like a PC designation, a missing number devalues the book, takes away their unique nature...now it's just a screw-up that isn't as prized as the rest. Would one see the same value in a piece of art that was (somehow) accidentally bound upside down in the book? Or a splash of ink from a printer's error? Or spotting on a page-block edge from the shipper's diarrhetic dog? Or Cheetos smears from a too-interested postman? All these things would make it different from the rest, but they don't make it more rare or prized -- they're just screw-ups that diminish the appeal...just like the lack of a number.

Daggummit, number that book, Jeff!
    But it is currently as shipped from the publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    But it is currently as shipped from the publisher.
    True, but that doesn't negate my point that it's a devaluing screw-up of a product that is already limited by nature and by that unique number and prized because of it, regardless of who shipped it...it's not a one in a million stamp -- one "limited" error in a sea of "trade" stamps -- that the government made a prized mistake on.

Junior Member Visitor
    True, but that doesn't negate my point that it's a devaluing screw-up of a product that is already limited by nature and by that unique number and prized because of it, regardless of who shipped it...it's not a one in a million stamp -- one "limited" error in a sea of "trade" stamps -- that the government made a prized mistake on.
    These are all excellent points but I would leave it unnumbered with a copy of the letter from Paul. Everyone knows it is number 23 but there is an interesting story attached to it. Once you number it, that story "goes away". Resist Jeff!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    "Paul got distracted and forgot to number my book," is not an interesting story. It's the opposite of that. You guys are really romanticizing a pretty common publisher screw-up (even if it's the first time Paul made this particular mistake).

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    "Paul got distracted and forgot to number my book," is not an interesting story. It's the opposite of that. You guys are really romanticizing a pretty common publisher screw-up (even if it's the first time Paul made this particular mistake).
    This. Definitely don't leave it blank. Paul wouldn't want you to, because anyone could just fill in a number. I can't remember the last time this happened with a new release with us, but it does happen when we do dinged grab bags sometimes, as we often forget to make sure the numbering lines in the damaged books have "PC" written on them. When it comes up we always ask the person who contacted us about it to please write PC in it or a number (we give them). If they're not comfortable doing it themselves we send them a label to mail it back to us and we do it for them.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Good point--it IS the first documented case of this happening! First and only! As in, one-of-a-kind!

Just kidding. I think these are all great points and I'm happy to see where others land on this.

What it comes down to are always the same exact two things:
    what the collector wants.
    what a buyer will pay.

I want the book. It is an absolute gem. I've said it other places, but I think Suntup's Rosemary's Baby is perfection. And for me, having Paul confirm that my copy is supposed to be 23 is enough for now. I'm not in any rush to number it.

As far as the second point--what a buyer will pay--that's kinda moot because I won't ever sell it. BUT if I did, I'd try to sell it one of two ways--as a part of a Number 23 set or individually. And if I sold it individually, the value of the unnumbered book would be entirely up to whatever the buyer would be willing to pay. I could spin it and hope to find someone who agrees that what I'm offering is a very unique state and an anomaly worth owning above other copies. Or not. I could very well discover that buyers wouldn't think it was worth the upcharge, considering it something like a PC state--even though I'd attach the letter as proof of its lineage. Again, it isn't anything I'd take on because I'd be broken-hearted to not have it on my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    This. Definitely don't leave it blank. Paul wouldn't want you to, because anyone could just fill in a number. I can't remember the last time this happened with a new release with us, but it does happen when we do dinged grab bags sometimes, as we often forget to make sure the numbering lines in the damaged books have "PC" written on them. When it comes up we always ask the person who contacted us about it to please write PC in it or a number (we give them). If they're not comfortable doing it themselves we send them a label to mail it back to us and we do it for them.
    And this is the most potent point out of all of them. Paul's vote carries all the weight with me and he's already spoken on the matter--he specifically told me to number it in black ink--not red or blue. I plan on putting a 23 in there.

The video was originally conceived as a way of documenting the moment I helped finish a Suntup book. A video that would transform my RB into the Jeffingoff Edition. But then I just went a different direction because I annoyed myself with taking the numbering so seriously. And now the internet has six minutes more of nonsense.