No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so happy to hear about this random act of kindness. As primarily a lurker, I love your work Jeff and hope things keep improving for you.

Comment

Dude - I remember someone on this board doing something equally as generous and unexpected.

Maybe the universe is okay sometimes and there is still good out there.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      I have no idea how to write this post. I've been thinking about all the things I want to say and none of them are sufficient. No words I have are enough. Nothing I can cobble together from my hyperactive scattered thoughts can come close to expressing my amazement, my gratitude, and my absolute euphoria at what I learned yesterday. Someone worked with Paul to ensure that I would have my number of Rosemary's Baby at a time when buying the book for myself was an impossibility. I absolutely hated passing on that book and apparently I let everyone on these message boards know and I never imagined the level of generosity out there in this collecting community.

I don't know who i have to thank. But whoever that person is or who those people are, just know this: I simply cannot thank you enough. There's no way. This act means the world to me especially during the incredibly dark year I've been living. Words are just not sufficient.

I will try to balance out the universe somehow. I'll try to "pay it forward" as the disgraced actor's movie once commanded. I know I'll be reading this post back again and again hating that I couldn't pack this massive swirl of emotion into the two short simple monosyllabic words, the only words I can catch in my scrambling brain, the only words that will have to do until my actions can say the rest: THANK YOU.

Comment

The Road is up for preorder tomorrow!!!

Ron, are you still passing on this one? This is your last chance to grab it. I imagine it will go quickly. I've been hilariously wrong before, so maybe it won't sell out all that quickly and maybe there's not a lot of interest in it. Just consider, as it's been pointed out to me--this time Paul put the word out two weeks in advance of the public preorder. AND he is opening the preorder window on a Saturday. So word has gotten a chance to spread and more people are able to be in front of a computer at the time it opens.

And this is the best book ever written.

If I were you--even remotely on the fence--I would buy it and see if I was still unimpressed after seeing it and holding it. Then you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. You'll either have a fantastic edition or a nice little profit.

I only make this appeal because regret is an unrelenting adversary.

We carry the fire.

Holy shit we carry the fire.

Comment

That is mighty pricey considered it's not signed by the author.

Comment

Ron, are you still passing on this one? This is your last chance to grab it. I imagine it will go quickly. I've been hilariously wrong before, so maybe it won't sell out all that quickly and maybe there's not a lot of interest in it. Just consider, as it's been pointed out to me--this time Paul put the word out two weeks in advance of the public preorder. AND he is opening the preorder window on a Saturday. So word has gotten a chance to spread and more people are able to be in front of a computer at the time it opens.

If I were you--even remotely on the fence--I would buy it and see if I was still unimpressed after seeing it and holding it. Then you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. You'll either have a fantastic edition or a nice little profit.

We carry the fire.

This is an easy pass for me. I also expect it to be available for at least 24 hours. That is just my opinion and I have been wrong twice before!

Comment

We carry the fire.

I'll be wrong with you, Jeff but I think you're right. If one wants it, best to be ready to go. Horns sold out in 6 hours and is the fastest for the non-King track. This just might go under that considering how many folks dig this book.

And the author will never sign this book outside of the ones he did for his son. Non-issue.

Comment

No, I think it's a huge issue. I would have passed on Misery if King hadn't signed it. Joe Hill signs everything and, of course, The Haunting of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby were non issues since the authors have passed. At least, to me, an author's signature on their book means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                  I'm going to write "Cormac McCarthy" in mine.

Comment

Hope you practiced the signature sufficient times.. Don't end up writing your own name and then tearing the page off

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
                      Hope you practiced the signature sufficient times.. Don't end up writing your own name and then tearing the page off
                      I could see that happening. Easily. But instead of tearing the page off, I'll fix it. The sig will appear as "Cormac 'Jeffingoff' McCarthy."

Comment

In Crayon. Don't worry about messing up. I'm sure there will be extra pages if you need to tear a few out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          In Crayon. Don't worry about messing up. I'm sure there will be extra pages if you need to tear a few out.
                          Joe Hill is signing mine.

Wait, did I already make that joke somewhere else??

Comment

Ron, are you still passing on this one?

Don't think it hasn't been at the very top of my mind today...the tick, tock of the clock is pounding in my ears like some doomed E. A. Poe character. I'm so damn torn...it's my favorite book for reasons already discussed and I'd been waiting and hoping for years that someone would do a deluxe edition of it (or his son would start selling his 250 signed copies), but I look again (repeatedly) at the pictures of the book and it just isn't clicking for me...that unsightly, heavy woven cloth, the front-board picture of the characters strolling along casually in windbreakers, hands in pockets, instead of in thick winter coats and plodding tired and weary, hunched against the chill caused by the blackened sky blocking the sun, as in this piece of art (that has been my phone wallpaper for years):

road.jpg

I know it's a fair gamble that I could recoup on the purchase price if I decide against keeping it, but 1). it keeps it from someone else who would presumably want it more, 2). I don't know this will have the assurance of value stability that his King and Hill books have, and 3). it seems like speculation, which is something I've avoided since I started collecting...nothing against those who choose to do it, but it's a practice that's just not for me as it's antithetical to why I read and collect in the first place.

All that said, I'm sure I'll look at it again several more times today...I'm still stunned that I'm preparing to pass on my favorite book and am having trouble reconciling it. I guess I really won't know until 9am tomorrow.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                            It's higher than allows me to just say, Oh heck, I don't particularly like the look of it, but for $100, $150 I'll add it to my 1st ed. U.S. HC and 1st ed. U.K. HC. But if it was signed by McCarthy (who would not do it for reasons I outlined earlier), it'd be an instant sell-out at $2500/copy -- if not more -- and Paul would know that. At least at $300/copy it allows the majority of his regular customer base the realistic option/budget to purchase.

Originally posted by pumpheel View Post
                            No, I think it's a huge issue. I would have passed on Misery if King hadn't signed it. Joe Hill signs everything and, of course, The Haunting of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby were non issues since the authors have passed. At least, to me, an author's signature on their book means everything.
                            For me, any book is more about the work than the author, so that would not have been a reason for me to pass...I'm sure Oates (signing) will pen an incredibly insightful introduction. For me, it's all about the design and aesthetics that -- sadly and tragically for me -- just don't click with me.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Don't think it hasn't been at the very top of my mind today...the tick, tock of the clock is pounding in my ears like some doomed E. A. Poe character. I'm so damn torn...it's my favorite book for reasons already discussed and I'd been waiting and hoping for years that someone would do a deluxe edition of it (or his son would start selling his 250 signed copies), but I look again (repeatedly) at the pictures of the book and it just isn't clicking for me...that unsightly, heavy woven cloth, the front-board picture of the characters strolling along casually in windbreakers, hands in pockets, instead of in thick winter coats and plodding tired and weary, hunched against the chill caused by the blackened sky blocking the sun, as in this piece of art (that has been my phone wallpaper for years):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21416[/ATTACH]

I know it's a fair gamble that I could recoup on the purchase price if I decide against keeping it, but 1). it keeps it from someone else who would presumably want it more, 2). I don't know this will have the assurance of value stability that his King and Hill books have, and 3). it seems like speculation, which is something I've avoided since I started collecting...nothing against those who choose to do it, but it's a practice that's just not for me as it's antithetical to why I read and collect in the first place.

All that said, I'm sure I'll look at it again several more times today...I'm still stunned that I'm preparing to pass on my favorite book and am having trouble reconciling it. I guess I really won't know until 9am tomorrow.

It's higher than allows me to just say, Oh heck, I don't particularly like the look of it, but for $100, $150 I'll add it to my 1st ed. U.S. HC and 1st ed. U.K. HC. But if it was signed by McCarthy (who would not do it for reasons I outlined earlier), it'd be an instant sell-out at $2500/copy -- if not more -- and Paul would know that. At least at $300/copy it allows the majority of his regular customer base the realistic option/budget to purchase.

For me, any book is more about the work than the author, so that would not have been a reason for me to pass...I'm sure Oates (signing) will pen an incredibly insightful introduction. For me, it's all about the design and aesthetics that -- sadly and tragically for me -- just don't click with me.

Very thoughtful, wonderful responses. And I think whatever decision you make, at least you're giving it the consideration it deserves. One thing I will put out there--one wrinkle--Paul often tweaks his designs as the productions move along. He recently changed the slipcase/container for Horns and it looks somewhat different now. He also tweaked Hill House as it moved along as well as the numbered edition of Misery. So things may shift and there's a chance it will shift in a way that reconciles your feeling of this masterpiece with the experience of the edition. Just another thing to consider.

We'll see how the speculators and collectors respond at 9am PST.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21416[/ATTACH]

One thing to consider. If the only reason you are thinking of passing are the design elements. Mr. Suntup has tweaked each book he has published from the originally shown concept before publication. You may pass based on what you have seen so far and then like what ends up getting published. You have a tough decision to make and I wish you luck in making a decision that you do not regret later.

Comment

Working...
                                X