No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the email announcement of the next lettered edition from Suntup. Yup, that's an easy pass. I've never read the book and I'm sure that it worth all the acclaim, just not in my wheelhouse.

Comment

I love when my phone replies to a different thread than the one I’m in... sigh.

Brian
      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Got the email announcement of the next lettered edition from Suntup. Yup, that's an easy pass. I've never read the book and I'm sure that it worth all the acclaim, just not in my wheelhouse.
        Actually it is a very good story. If it was available in a $200 edition I would probably jump on it, but not at this price point.

Comment

Yeah, not my bag either, but I love that Paul is doing it. There is certainly a market for it and he's said all along that he's producing the works he'd love to honor. I think Brother, as book by a largely unknown author, was a bigger risk than this one. So I'm glad he's willing to take those risks.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Actually it is a very good story. If it was available in a $200 edition I would probably jump on it, but not at this price point.
          The fact that Paul picked it and now seeing you recommend it, I'm curious to read it.

Comment

As soon as I saw the announcement, I raced over here to see just how ardent Jeff's passion for Suntup was and what lengths it would stretch. Sounds like you're up for a copy, Jeff?

Easy pass for me, but it's interesting to see a publisher branch out to different genres and audiences. Even still, the selection of this one surprises me, but I sure wish Paul success with it.

EDIT: I raced away too quickly...taking time to actually read the email, I see it's a 26-copy lettered just shy of $2K. If memory serves, Jeff's not on the lettered track, so ignore the query above...unless, of course, this has swayed you, Jeff, to change your track?
            Last edited by RonClinton; 12-06-2019, 06:43 PM.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              As soon as I saw the announcement, I raced over here to see just how ardent Jeff's passion for Suntup was and what lengths it would stretch. Sounds like you're up for a copy, Jeff?

Easy pass for me, but it's interesting to see a publisher branch out to different genres and audiences. Even still, the selection of this one surprises me, but I sure wish Paul success with it.
              Well, considering that I'm not a lettered buyer (even though I should have tried for The Road!!!) the point is moot. I do wonder, really wonder, what I would have done had a numbered edition been offered. Depends on the price point, of course, but I'm betting I would have passed even at $300. Just not my thing. Though I am clapping over here because Paul went for it. And I have no doubts they will sell out nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                Yeah, not my bag either, but I love that Paul is doing it. There is certainly a market for it and he's said all along that he's producing the works he'd love to honor. I think Brother, as book by a largely unknown author, was a bigger risk than this one. So I'm glad he's willing to take those risks.

The fact that Paul picked it and now seeing you recommend it, I'm curious to read it.
                It is a very quick and enjoyable read. Length of a small novella.

Comment

I would probably still pass, though I'd be tempted.

Beyond classic fiction, is there a big market for modern literary limited editions? Is there the equivalency of a Cemetery Dance or Subterranean Press that regularly produces limited/lettered editions of non-genre fiction?

Comment

I would probably still pass, though I'd be tempted.

Beyond classic fiction, is there a big market for modern literary limited editions? Is there the equivalency of a Cemetery Dance or Subterranean Press that regularly produces limited/lettered editions of non-genre fiction?
                    Easton Press leaps to mind, though of course they do literary as well as genre. A quick search on ABE, though, with no hits on my search suggests they did not do BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY. Folio Press would be another outlet. Beyond those two, I can't think of any, but that's probably due more to my lack of familiarity with Literary (with a capital "L") presses than reality.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 12-06-2019, 07:11 PM.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Jumping on to the lettered wagon now almost seems like a strategic move. Yeah, you're going to pay two grand for a book you may not really want, but it gets you in the door to have a first shot at the next lettered edition, which may be something you do want.

If I'm being honest, I suspect that's why most people currently buying the lettereds are going to get this one. Good on Paul for publishing what he wants, but I don't see the folks buying Matheson, McCarthy, and Hill lining up to get The Bridges of Madison County for any other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                        Jumping on to the lettered wagon now almost seems like a strategic move. Yeah, you're going to pay two grand for a book you may not really want, but it gets you in the door to have a first shot at the next lettered edition, which may be something you do want.

If I'm being honest, I suspect that's why most people currently buying the lettereds are going to get this one. Good on Paul for publishing what he wants, but I don't see the folks buying Matheson, McCarthy, and Hill lining up to get The Bridges of Madison County for any other reason.
                        That is a very sober observation.

Comment

It looks like you will be permitted to continue correcting Jeff regarding this. About 80% through and I am really enjoying The Road.
                          This pleases me on both levels. . I'm really happy that you are enjoying the story. It is a great yet very dark story.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            This pleases me on both levels. . I'm really happy that you are enjoying the story. It is a great yet very dark story.
                            Finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the story. It was not are dark as I was expecting. The fathers love, respect and kindness for his son stand out much more for me.

Comment

Finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the story. It was not are dark as I was expecting. The fathers love, respect and kindness for his son stand out much more for me.
                              I agree. Maybe my expectations were out of whack due to the hype, but while the story is dark and bleak, it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I really liked it.

Comment

I can't use Facebook while at work - what was the announcement this morning?

Comment

Working...
                                X