Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Editions - All Books

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    As soon as I saw the announcement, I raced over here to see just how ardent Jeff's passion for Suntup was and what lengths it would stretch. Sounds like you're up for a copy, Jeff?

Easy pass for me, but it's interesting to see a publisher branch out to different genres and audiences. Even still, the selection of this one surprises me, but I sure wish Paul success with it.
    Well, considering that I'm not a lettered buyer (even though I should have tried for The Road!!!) the point is moot. I do wonder, really wonder, what I would have done had a numbered edition been offered. Depends on the price point, of course, but I'm betting I would have passed even at $300. Just not my thing. Though I am clapping over here because Paul went for it. And I have no doubts they will sell out nicely.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah, not my bag either, but I love that Paul is doing it. There is certainly a market for it and he's said all along that he's producing the works he'd love to honor. I think Brother, as book by a largely unknown author, was a bigger risk than this one. So I'm glad he's willing to take those risks.

The fact that Paul picked it and now seeing you recommend it, I'm curious to read it.
    It is a very quick and enjoyable read. Length of a small novella.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Actually it is a very good story. If it was available in a $200 edition I would probably jump on it, but not at this price point.
    I would probably still pass, though I'd be tempted.

Beyond classic fiction, is there a big market for modern literary limited editions? Is there the equivalency of a Cemetery Dance or Subterranean Press that regularly produces limited/lettered editions of non-genre fiction?

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I would probably still pass, though I'd be tempted.

Beyond classic fiction, is there a big market for modern literary limited editions? Is there the equivalency of a Cemetery Dance or Subterranean Press that regularly produces limited/lettered editions of non-genre fiction?
    Easton Press leaps to mind, though of course they do literary as well as genre. A quick search on ABE, though, with no hits on my search suggests they did not do BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY. Folio Press would be another outlet. Beyond those two, I can't think of any, but that's probably due more to my lack of familiarity with Literary (with a capital "L") presses than reality.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 12-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Jumping on to the lettered wagon now almost seems like a strategic move. Yeah, you're going to pay two grand for a book you may not really want, but it gets you in the door to have a first shot at the next lettered edition, which may be something you do want.

If I'm being honest, I suspect that's why most people currently buying the lettereds are going to get this one. Good on Paul for publishing what he wants, but I don't see the folks buying Matheson, McCarthy, and Hill lining up to get The Bridges of Madison County for any other reason.

Member Part-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Jumping on to the lettered wagon now almost seems like a strategic move. Yeah, you're going to pay two grand for a book you may not really want, but it gets you in the door to have a first shot at the next lettered edition, which may be something you do want.

If I'm being honest, I suspect that's why most people currently buying the lettereds are going to get this one. Good on Paul for publishing what he wants, but I don't see the folks buying Matheson, McCarthy, and Hill lining up to get The Bridges of Madison County for any other reason.
    That is a very sober observation.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    It looks like you will be permitted to continue correcting Jeff regarding this. About 80% through and I am really enjoying The Road.
    This pleases me on both levels. . I'm really happy that you are enjoying the story. It is a great yet very dark story.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    This pleases me on both levels. . I'm really happy that you are enjoying the story. It is a great yet very dark story.
    Finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the story. It was not are dark as I was expecting. The fathers love, respect and kindness for his son stand out much more for me.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the story. It was not are dark as I was expecting. The fathers love, respect and kindness for his son stand out much more for me.
    I agree. Maybe my expectations were out of whack due to the hype, but while the story is dark and bleak, it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I really liked it.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I can't use Facebook while at work - what was the announcement this morning?

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I can't use Facebook while at work - what was the announcement this morning?
    We have some surprises to share with you today!
    • Our edition of BROTHER by Ania Ahlborn was originally scheduled to begin shipping in early 2020, but we are delighted to report that the books have been completed, and will arrive ahead of schedule. We will begin shipping BROTHER late next week.
    • Several months ago, we published an edition of THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. The novel closes with one of the most beautiful and expertly crafted paragraphs of poetic prose. As a thank you to our customers for their support of the press, we will be producing a broadside of that closing paragraph and giving it to you as a gift. To claim your free gift, please visit https://suntup.press/free-gift-2019/ and submit the form by Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 12pm (Noon) PT. Thank you and happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    We have some surprises to share with you today!
    • Our edition of BROTHER by Ania Ahlborn was originally scheduled to begin shipping in early 2020, but we are delighted to report that the books have been completed, and will arrive ahead of schedule. We will begin shipping BROTHER late next week.
    • Several months ago, we published an edition of THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. The novel closes with one of the most beautiful and expertly crafted paragraphs of poetic prose. As a thank you to our customers for their support of the press, we will be producing a broadside of that closing paragraph and giving it to you as a gift. To claim your free gift, please visit https://suntup.press/free-gift-2019/ and submit the form by Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 12pm (Noon) PT. Thank you and happy holidays!
    I was unaware of the Facebook announcement but I did receive an email regarding the Broadside and have submitted my claim form. Very generous of Mr. Suntup.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I was unaware of the Facebook announcement but I did receive an email regarding the Broadside and have submitted my claim form. Very generous of Mr. Suntup.
    For sure! I don't remember the wording of the paragraph, but I do remember how it landed, the impact knocking all the strength out of me and reducing me to a sobbing mass on mass transit. I will definitely cherish this broadside. Incredibly generous.

And to be publishing and shipping Brother well ahead of schedule after rapid-fire shipping Rosemary's Baby and The Road? That's spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    For sure! I don't remember the wording of the paragraph, but I do remember how it landed, the impact knocking all the strength out of me and reducing me to a sobbing mass on mass transit. I will definitely cherish this broadside. Incredibly generous.

And to be publishing and shipping Brother well ahead of schedule after rapid-fire shipping Rosemary's Baby and The Road? That's spectacular.
    I am receiving Brother via CD so I will not see that for a while.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Very pleased and excited to to see this. I didn't spring for the Suntup edition of THE ROAD, but as it is my favorite book I will treasure this broadside...as soon as I receive it, it's getting framed and hung in a prominent spot in my office/library.

Looking forward, too, of course, to the early arrival of BROTHER.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Paul is on fire of late and this is super generous of him! Really looking forward to 2020.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I have only ordered I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - the Artist Gift Edition. It did make me eligible to claim the free broadside offer so that is very cool. Thanks Paul Suntup!

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I have only ordered I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - the Artist Gift Edition. It did make me eligible to claim the free broadside offer so that is very cool. Thanks Paul Suntup!

Cap
    That's the only thing I've ordered from them as well. Most of their stuff is either outside of my price range or scope of interest, but I decided to order this one just to see what all the hoopla's about. This free broadside offer was a nice surprise and I'm glad I was eligible for it. How generous! It sounds very cool. THE ROAD is far and above my favorite novel from Cormac McCarthy.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Cool. I ended up ordering this as well. However I did not hear anything about the broadside offer. How were you notified of this or was this just part of the ordering process?

*EDIT* I see there is a link upstream. I did not see an email and I'm not on FB so thanks for the info.

That's the only thing I've ordered from them as well. Most of their stuff is either outside of my price range or scope of interest, but I decided to order this one just to see what all the hoopla's about. This free broadside offer was a nice surprise and I'm glad I was eligible for it. How generous! It sounds very cool. THE ROAD is far and above my favorite novel from Cormac McCarthy.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    What you said above just about sums up my interest in Suntup Editions. I wish I had gotten the first title Misery. After that I saw nothing that caught my eye. I did as you and ordered just to see what one of their books looks like in person. I can't afford their more expensive offerings.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.