OFFSPRING and THE WOMAN Anniversary Editions from Dark Regions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFFSPRING and THE WOMAN Anniversary Editions from Dark Regions

This was announced a little while back, but it might have flown under some people's radar.

After publishing the anniversary edition of OFF SEASON, Dark Regions will now be publishing anniversary editions of both OFFSPRING and THE WOMAN. Neither are up for sale except by "subscriptions" that are available from DRP. I'm unsure of what they mean by "subscription" as the announcement is pretty vague, but I think it's just an advance sale bundle of the two books.

Here's the announcement: http://darkregions.com/blogs/news/ma...ardcover-books

As I almost always am with Dark Regions, I'm of two minds. On one hand, I really like my lettered edition of OFF SEASON and had previously posted hopes that they would publish OFFSPRING. On the other hand, Dark Regions tends to be a little inconsistent so it's hard to get excited. Added on to this, is the fact that THE WOMAN has already been offered in a limited once prior and a lettered twice before...AND I already own the CD lettered, which is signed by Ketchum. I am assuming that there won't be a signature from Ketchum on the Dark Regions edition, unless he signed prior to his passing.

Then again, a matching lettered set of all three will look awfully nice on the shelf...

Anybody have any thoughts? On board? Jumped ship?

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    This was announced a little while back, but it might have flown under some people's radar.

After publishing the anniversary edition of OFF SEASON, Dark Regions will now be publishing anniversary editions of both OFFSPRING and THE WOMAN. Neither are up for sale except by "subscriptions" that are available from DRP. I'm unsure of what they mean by "subscription" as the announcement is pretty vague, but I think it's just an advance sale bundle of the two books.

Here's the announcement: http://darkregions.com/blogs/news/ma...ardcover-books

As I almost always am with Dark Regions, I'm of two minds. On one hand, I really like my lettered edition of OFF SEASON and had previously posted hopes that they would publish OFFSPRING. On the other hand, Dark Regions tends to be a little inconsistent so it's hard to get excited. Added on to this, is the fact that THE WOMAN has already been offered in a limited once prior and a lettered twice before...AND I already own the CD lettered, which is signed by Ketchum. I am assuming that there won't be a signature from Ketchum on the Dark Regions edition, unless he signed prior to his passing.

Then again, a matching lettered set of all three will look awfully nice on the shelf...

Anybody have any thoughts? On board? Jumped ship?
    I have Letter R of Off Season. And I think Offspring is a better book. I'd love to get a matching letter R, but I hesitate. With the Bird Box shipping problems and the shitty treatment of authors, it's tough to jump on board. Also, I'm shifting my spending now that Suntup has risen. So there are a lot of factors.

But I really did not like The Woman. That's an easy pass for me. And with the way DRP is trying to bundle them, it actually helps make it easier to pass on Offspring as well.

Comment

I've always liked what we've sold of DRP's titles. Not necessarily the content, but the style and quality. I can't speak to any author drama as I don't know anything about that. I do know that Chris at DRP has always been great to work with and to me shipping problems, aren't really a problem unless they can't replace any damages.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I’m fortunate that I have zero interest in all these “Anniversary” editions that publishers are offering these days, be it 10 years or 30 years or…? To me, they feel like also-runs, unnecessary if a signed/limited of reasonable cost still exists on the aftermarket...plus, they dilute the value of the original collectibles that collectors bought in good faith, which casts the authors who authorized the new editions in a poor light, IMO. PS Publishing‘s edition of Hill’s 20th CENTURY GHOSTS, these Ketchum titles, among others....all new collectible editions of titles that already have a relatively recent collectible edition available for those who need it. I can’t get too worked up about a 30-year anniversary edition, I suppose, as that is a fair length the time, but these 10-year and 20-year editions really strike me as wrong.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          I’m fortunate that I have zero interest in all these “Anniversary” editions that publishers are offering these days, be it 10 years or 30 years or…? To me, they feel like also-runs, unnecessary if a signed/limited of reasonable cost still exists on the aftermarket...plus, they dilute the value of the original collectibles that collectors bought in good faith, which casts the authors who authorized the new editions in a poor light, IMO. PS Publishing‘s edition of Hill’s 20th CENTURY GHOSTS, these Ketchum titles, among others....all new collectible editions of titles that already have a relatively recent collectible edition available for those who need it. I can’t get too worked up about a 30-year anniversary edition, I suppose, as that is a fair length the time, but these 10-year and 20-year editions really strike me as wrong.
          I think there has to be new or restored content to make them worthwhile.

Comment

Just wanted to point out that our "shitty treatment of authors" is a complete and utter falsehood spread by a bitter author who had to pay us back for a book he never delivered. Jack Ketchum and I were professional friends before his untimely passing, and he was eager to have us publish the next two books in his Dead River Series. The people who say otherwise have ulterior motives and actually illegally slandered myself and Dark Regions Press, LLC using false information (that we have screenshots of, currently in the possession of two attorneys). So, if you see someone say that Dark Regions Press doesn't treat our authors well, just know they're repeating a lie told by one bitter author who had to pay us back.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            I have Letter R of Off Season. And I think Offspring is a better book. I'd love to get a matching letter R, but I hesitate. With the Bird Box shipping problems and the shitty treatment of authors, it's tough to jump on board. Also, I'm shifting my spending now that Suntup has risen. So there are a lot of factors.

But I really did not like The Woman. That's an easy pass for me. And with the way DRP is trying to bundle them, it actually helps make it easier to pass on Offspring as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Morey View Post
              Just wanted to point out that our "shitty treatment of authors" is a complete and utter falsehood spread by a bitter author who had to pay us back for a book he never delivered. Jack Ketchum and I were professional friends before his untimely passing, and he was eager to have us publish the next two books in his Dead River Series. The people who say otherwise have ulterior motives and actually illegally slandered myself and Dark Regions Press, LLC using false information (that we have screenshots of, currently in the possession of two attorneys). So, if you see someone say that Dark Regions Press doesn't treat our authors well, just know they're repeating a lie told by one bitter author who had to pay us back.
              I had to do a double take and I thought maybe these comments were held in moderation and just got approved by Dan because this stuff seemed to be in the rearview. I'm shocked that the date of my comment was 9/18 of this year because it feels like a life time ago. It's crazy how one argument can impact the reputation of a business, and dominate the conversation. All I can say for sure is that you did right by me and I'm happy to share that feedback. As we both know I have the lettered OFFSPRING and the lettered BIRD BOX on order and I'm sure they will be spectacular.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, and greatly appreciate your support of the projects. Something in particular that pisses me off is seeing people repeat the LIE that we treated Jack Ketchum poorly... that couldn't be further from the truth. Jack Ketchum and I became professional friends, and he was eager to have Dark Regions Press publish the other two books in his Dead River series. The notion that we treat our authors poorly all came out of one person's mouth, and frankly that person is prone to stir up controversy and conflict in the industry and shouldn't be trusted. Actually, there are multiple parties who are interested in creating a legal case against this person for creating these kind of lies. I've seen multiple other people repeat the notion that we treat our authors poorly, which is 100% false, and I will do my best to refute it with each instance that it is repeated. It's kind of shocking how long this guy has gotten away with slandering people, but thanks to rule of law, his reign of illegal slander should be coming to an end very soon.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                I had to do a double take and I thought maybe these comments were held in moderation and just got approved by Dan because this stuff seemed to be in the rearview. I'm shocked that the date of my comment was 9/18 of this year because it feels like a life time ago. It's crazy how one argument can impact the reputation of a business, and dominate the conversation. All I can say for sure is that you did right by me and I'm happy to share that feedback. As we both know I have the lettered OFFSPRING and the lettered BIRD BOX on order and I'm sure they will be spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                X