Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal Black by Robert McCammon

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Looking forward to getting this. I just went with the trade edition. I have read the first 2 and really need to start the 3rd soon. My only worry is how the new one will look on the shelf with the rest of the series since its a new publisher. One of my book ocd issues.
    I thought about this as well before jumping in. What stuck out to me--and would not be visible on the shelf--was that Sub Press's were leather-bound, while CD's--in keeping with the majority of their limited editions--is clothbound. Ultimately, I decided that any differences between the two presses would not bother me too much. I would be bother much more by having a lettered edition of the third or fourth book and the rest being limited editions.

As far as Speaks The Nightbird, I'm hoping we'll get a new edition. I have heard some unfortunate things about the current limited edition. From Camelot Book's page:

Now, for those of you that are not aware, the production of this book was not good, the weight of the pages is causing the spine and endpapers to separate from the pages/board corners,

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    As far as Speaks The Nightbird, I'm hoping we'll get a new edition. I have heard some unfortunate things about the current limited edition. From Camelot Book's page:
    Sadly, that's very true. River City Publishing had never done a limited edition before, and they'd also never published a book that large. The printer should have known better, but it is what it is. Almost every copy I've ever seen shows some signs of damage.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    As far as Speaks The Nightbird, I'm hoping we'll get a new edition. I have heard some unfortunate things about the current limited edition. From Camelot Book's page: Now, for those of you that are not aware, the production of this book was not good, the weight of the pages is causing the spine and endpapers to separate from the pages/board corners,

I had heard that as well about the SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD Limited Edition, not from Camelot but from someone else. I ordered one from the publisher last year and it arrived in perfect condition without the splits at the inner spine that others had complained about. Maybe I was just lucky. By the way, the Signed/Limited of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD is still available from the publisher at the original issue price. Rumor has it they produced way too many of them. (It is unknown how many.) Mine is number 438.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    Sadly, that's very true. River City Publishing had never done a limited edition before, and they'd also never published a book that large. The printer should have known better, but it is what it is. Almost every copy I've ever seen shows some signs of damage.
    Ha! I hadn't seen your response yet when I replied, Hunter.

The part that really irked me is that they shipped it in a padded envelope, not in a box. It was a true miracle that it arrived undamaged.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I am going to cross my fingers that CD does a limited of SPEAKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    I had heard that as well about the SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD Limited Edition, not from Camelot but from someone else. I ordered one from the publisher last year and it arrived in perfect condition without the splits at the inner spine that others had complained about. Maybe I was just lucky. By the way, the Signed/Limited of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD is still available from the publisher at the original issue price. Rumor has it they produced way too many of them. (It is unknown how many.) Mine is number 438.
    Glad to hear yours has no issues, especially the way it was shipped! Padded envelopes are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I am going to cross my fingers that CD does a limited of SPEAKS.
    I'm with you on this one. That would be great!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one a little worried. I'm sure it will be fine and nothing would have kept me from gothic book. Like I said it's just my book ocd.......

Anyone know / willing to say what prompted the change of publisher from Subterranean to CD for this series?

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    Anyone know / willing to say what prompted the change of publisher from Subterranean to CD for this series?
    Maybe publishing schedules?? I don't suspect anything nefarious. I think both publishers have a good working relationship.

No, I wasn't suggesting anything underhand. I was thinking that because 95% of Subterranean's output is now sci-fi and fantasy McCammon's books were seeming out of place and perhaps either the publisher or author had suggested a switch to a more compatible home.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    No, I wasn't suggesting anything underhand. I was thinking that because 95% of Subterranean's output is now sci-fi and fantasy McCammon's books were seeming out of place and perhaps either the publisher or author had suggested a switch to a more compatible home.
    Good point.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Maybe publishing schedules?? I don't suspect anything nefarious. I think both publishers have a good working relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Good point.
    Or maybe Don Chizmar made McCammon an offer he couldn't refuse?

McCammon chose to find a new home for his books.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    McCammon chose to find a new home for his books.
    Thanks Hunter.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I'm not sure how long it's been up there, but the finished cover for Cardinal Black is awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I'm not sure how long it's been up there, but the finished cover for Cardinal Black is awesome!!!
    I agree! I love the font and the artifacts in the corners. The artwork itself is amazing! Vincent Chong knocked it out of the park on this one!

mccammon04.jpg

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    LOVE that cover!!

sk

Junior Member Visitor
    Brilliant!

Since CD's limited and lettered editions are long-soldout, I thought I'd post this here.

From UK publisher SST Publications:

I’m thrilled to announce SST is publishing @RobertMcCammon’s new novel CARDINAL BLACK in 2 very special signed limited editions. A Silk bound Slipcased Hardcover & Deluxe bound Traycased Hardcover. You can read more & reserve your copy here: https://sstpublications.co.uk/Cardinal-Black.html