O T: Got evacuated from the park last Friday, Aug. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O T: Got evacuated from the park last Friday, Aug. 3

There was a mandatory evacuation from Yosemite due to losing power-again and a resurgence of the Ferguson Fire on Hwy 140. I left in my vehicle in a convoy at 11 am. I went to a shelter in Bootjack, CA. I didn't stay there long after a busload of park employees arrived and the shelter was suddenly very noisy. I have a problem (Have become sensitive) with noise and I suspected I would be unable to sleep much if at all at the shelter. I spent three nights with a friend in Merced, CA. I'm currently staying by myself at a Motel 6 in Merced. Yesterday, Monday, I filed for unemployment. It is unclear when employees will be allowed back into the park. I am good, I packed my duffle bag the second day of this fire crisis. I have clothing for a week, my electric razors, sonic toothbrush, my ereader, mp3 player and two regular books. The main thing I forgot was the charger for the sonic toothbrush. Currently we can not go back to the park for any items we forgot.

Cap (Real name Steve)
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

California's experiencing some some scary fires - glad to hear you're safe - keep staying safe!

Comment

Glad you are out of harms way, hopefully Cal Fire will get things under control and you can return to your life soon. Take care.

Comment

I’m glad you’re okay. To say the Ferguson Fire has been bad is putting it mildly. I hope that things get better soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Glad you are out of harms way, hopefully Cal Fire will get things under control and you can return to your life soon. Take care.
          About 10 minutes after I did my post I talked to a manager staying here and tomorrow morning we (Residents) get to go back to the park. Yosemite will not re-open yet. After my sonic toothbrush recharges that is going into my duffel bag. The other item I forgot is my flash drive. So I just need to add a few more clothes and I'm all set to go if we get evacuated again. I watched a for the most part boring NPS news conference this afternoon. It was 38 minutes or so. It was worth watching because near the video's end it is revealed what the firefighters are working to divert/avoid in regards to Yosemite. Boring? Yes. Scary? Yes, but worth watching.

Steve

Comment

Stay safe, Steve.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Stay safe, Steve.
              Ditto! And hoping they get things under control so you can return to your normal.

Comment

Take Care!

Comment

Stay safe!
                  http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    Ditto! And hoping they get things under control so you can return to your normal.

Normal? *heh, heh, heh* What is that where I live? Steve

Comment

Unfortunately what you are going through appears to the 'normal' at this point.

Comment

I decided to give a brief update. I was up early on Wednesday and back in the park before noon. Employees are allowed to stay (For now). We could be evacuated again. I repacked my duffel bag and made sure I didn't forget anything. I've been busy getting my room/life in order. Currently the fire is 79% contained. Real progress has been made the last two days.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                          I decided to give a brief update. I was up early on Wednesday and back in the park before noon. Employees are allowed to stay (For now). We could be evacuated again. I repacked my duffel bag and made sure I didn't forget anything. I've been busy getting my room/life in order. Currently the fire is 79% contained. Real progress has been made the last two days.

Steve
                          That's good news. Stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Steve
                            Hopefully it will be fully contained soon. Stay safe.

Comment

Great to hear, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X