Latest Acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    You're making me push Floating Dragon higher up on my TBR pile.
    It is Straub's most King-like book and thought it was a fantastic read and probably a good place to start for a lot of readers. It's been a while since I read it, so I might need to do a revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
      Martin, obviously you're not checking your PMs. We're not talking to Jeff anymore after that statement. For example, I will not say

Hi Jeff!!
      Damn, I missed a memo again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Oh, man...Jeff's on the outs for not liking Bentley Little?! What's going to happen when everyone finds out that I think Peter Straub is better than Stephen King?
        When Straub is on I love his work. When he is off I Can't stand it. Lost Boy/Lost Girl remains one of the best stories I have ever read. Mister X remains one of the worst stories I have ever read!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          When Straub is on I love his work. When he is off I Can't stand it. Lost Boy/Lost Girl remains one of the best stories I have ever read. Mister X remains one of the worst stories I have ever read!
          I haven't read Mister X so I can't speak to that one, but I do agree with your sentiment to a certain extent. I find Straub's work is best when he is being more accessible. When he goes full tilt boogie like The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine, I find it less enjoyable. Always well-written, but less enjoyable.

Comment

You're not kidding. Everyone here is respectful. Even when I say something outrageous like "I'm no fan of Bentley Little." No one flips over a table or torches a cop car.
            Crap!!! I forgot about that. I retract my former statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I feel the same way. Except I still haven't read these 2 books. I am one of the few people I know who think Ghost Story is only a so so book. I do love his shorter works.

Comment

I heard that after Misery and Hill House, Suntup will be exclusively Straub.
                Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  Now THAT would be a thread! Luckily, this is a rather quite corner of the internet. Little to no drama on this forum.
                  Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                  One of the reasons I like this forum . It's a nice escape from the everyday bs. Just book talk and more book talk
                  You're not kidding. Everyone here is respectful. Even when I say something outrageous like "I'm no fan of Bentley Little." No one flips over a table or torches a cop car.
                  The internet has always included drama, but everyone here is right, CD's Forums have been great. It's one of the most drama free places on the web that I've come across.

I was just chatting with a fellow collector in my area who I actually met on another forum, and there is so much cattiness, pompous, holier than thou attitudes over there - so much so that I just shake my head and rarely ever want to contribute to anything for fear of upsetting the wrong people.

So thank you everyone here.

And I have no opinion of Bentley Little - I haven't read him yet (I think I own one book?) and while it's in my TBR pile, there are so many other books ahead of it, it may have to be read at my wake.

Comment

The CD Forums are one of the few discussion board forums left and as many posters have indicated on this thread super nice too. There is one other discussion board book forum I occasionally post at-I wonder how long they'll be around.

Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

The CD forums stay drama free, because I never liked message board drama and do my best to put my foot down quickly when something pops up. Luckily I've only had to do it a handful of times.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        The CD forums stay drama free, because I never liked message board drama and do my best to put my foot down quickly when something pops up. Luckily I've only had to do it a handful of times.
                        I'm actually surprised to hear that. And I'm grateful for it. It makes all the difference.

Comment

Hmm, Straub talk. Looks like it's once again time for my gratuitous Straub message:

If you haven't read Shadowland...

READ SHADOWLAND NOW!!! JUST DO IT!!
                          Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

And that's why we call you the HAMMER!! LOl!!

Comment

Dan, I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate how well you manage this board. Without you leadership on here I am sure I would have walked away long ago.
                              THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                                Hmm, Straub talk. Looks like it's once again time for my gratuitous Straub message:

If you haven't read Shadowland...

READ SHADOWLAND NOW!!! JUST DO IT!!
                                I have never read that one. I may have to give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X