A Definitive Ranking of Every Stephen King Novel Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
    I loved Dreamcatcher, it would definitely appear in the top half of my list. On the other hand I re-read Carrie a couple of years back and it was just as bad as I remembered, great idea of course but very poorly written. The movie made a much better job of it.
    I enjoyed Dreamcatcher but is would probably be around the middle of the pack for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      This sort of thing is so subject. I don't think it's possible to make a definitive ranking of anything, let alone Kings work.
      Agreed, I take it for what it is. Some ones opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I think his classic works are beyond reproach, but the later stuff...well...

Post the turn of the century (from DREAMCATCHER (2001) on), I'd only put 11/22/63 and JOYLAND as recommended reading...UNDER THE DOME gets an honorable mention. Everything else, I'd put 'em all in the latter half of Definitive Ranking of Every Novel. I've not yet THE OUTSIDER (or REVIVAL or the Hodges trilogy), but from what I understand the last quarter of the book really disappoints. So everything from CARRIE to 1990 in the first half of ranking, everything else from the '90s and from 2000 on in the latter half, save for THE GREEN MILE, which also goes in the first half.

I see King's career / body of work in thirds: the first third ('74 - '90) is phenomenal (though I see '90's NEEDFUL THINGS as somewhat disappointing, and as such an apparent transition to the even-more disappointing second stage), while the second ('91 to '00) and last thirds ('01 to present) are disappointing with a few noteable exceptions, e.g. THE GREEN MILE, 11/22/63, and JOYLAND (and UNDER THE DOME if I'm in a good, lax mood).

Guess this explains why when the rest of the world seems to be get in an annual tizzy over an upcoming new King release, I typically find myself tizzyless...too many disappointments to keep that fire of anticipation burning any longer. If a good one comes along that people seem to love, I'll give a shot...his work has been too impactful in my life and maturation as a genre fan to refuse it outright. But I certainly won't be first in line at the bookstore.
        I'm gonna agree with Ron for the most part (although Needful Things is a fav of mine) and completely agree with you, Jeff in regards to Revival. It was god awful to me and I didn't give a damn either about the folks in that one. I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep which most seemed to have not to. Mr. Mercedes was good but it didn't need to be stretched out into a trilogy. I felt Finders Keepers was just another Hodges' story and End of Watch was just plain silly. IMO, the best modern novel to day is Duma Key. I haven't enjoyed a King read as much as I did that one in a long time. I also enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box. Haven't gotten around to Sleeping Beauties or The Outsider yet but, those will be listens vs. reads. As pretty much all my reading these days is done via my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Yes. But then again, I used to think I was one of the few people around who had a generally favorable view of THE TOMMYKNOCKERS, and that turned out to not be quite the case...so there's hope for you. Maybe...
          I read The Tommyknockers when it was released my sophomore year, even did a book report on it in front of my English class. I think most of the kids were horrified I'd read something like that. I really enjoyed it. Reread it a few years ago and though my perspective had changed quite a bit, I still enjoyed it - more so than many that they ranked higher on the list. Very subjective type of list as mentioned.

I've been planning to reread Thinner for a while now, haven't read that one for, well, decades now so it's probably time.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
            I read The Tommyknockers when it was released my sophomore year, even did a book report on it in front of my English class. I think most of the kids were horrified I'd read something like that. I really enjoyed it. Reread it a few years ago and though my perspective had changed quite a bit, I still enjoyed it - more so than many that they ranked higher on the list. Very subjective type of list as mentioned.

I've been planning to reread Thinner for a while now, haven't read that one for, well, decades now so it's probably time.
            I'm looking forward to re-reading The Tommyknockers once PS ships their edition. I remember one of the chapters was among the scariest I've ever read from King. I think it was "In the Garden Shed" or something. It struck me as even more terrifying than Room 217. Now It could have been the mood I was in, and maybe re-reading it will dispel the memory, but damn it was the best thing in an otherwise average book. Though I do think it deserved something better than last place on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              I'm looking forward to re-reading The Tommyknockers once PS ships their edition. I remember one of the chapters was among the scariest I've ever read from King. I think it was "In the Garden Shed" or something. It struck me as even more terrifying than Room 217. Now It could have been the mood I was in, and maybe re-reading it will dispel the memory, but damn it was the best thing in an otherwise average book. Though I do think it deserved something better than last place on the list.
              I remember loving The Tommyknockers when I read it in my younger days. I think it's the type of book you have to read when you're young. The shed part was cool...haven't read it in a while --- and I am about to reveal something for those who have not read it, although I assume most here have, or it won't be a big deal anyway --- but I assume you refer to the living batteries, I believe they were called in the narration. The sister Anne, I think, and the dog (and maybe one other person?). Indeed, a cool/scary section, and I think Gardner (if I recall) thought something like, he didn't care about Anne, but not the dog! Seeing how much I can remember of the scene (funny how you can remember books you read a long time ago better than ones recently read). Re-reading it may actually be disappointing, because I have re-read sections of the book, and although it's always fun to read any passages written by King (he really is, seriously, a good writer), the story as a whole doesn't stand up as well as other King tales like It. Still, though, I remember really enjoying it when I read it, and for that reason I consider it a favorite. (One last thing: the whole clock-concept is an idea I wish King never got behind...I remember not understanding what was happening at that point --- I think I do now, but even now I'm not 100% certain --- and is something I would not relish revisiting.)

And I agree, last on the list doesn't make sense. A lot of that list just doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I love about lists like that...makes me think and ponder, and I appreciate the author's opinion. Firestarter being so high is odd. And was Thinner on the list? I'm not seeing it in my quick re-scan, but maybe I am missing it. As I get older, I'm beginning to think Thinner should be the model for books King writes from now on...short, plot-driven stuff, focused on a single character. Easier for him now that he's older, and he can get ideas out into the marketplace on a quicker schedule (Revival might arguably be an illustration of what I'm talking about). I wonder if the ranking, since it is on B&N, might be related somewhat to what the company thinks might be more marketable and easier to generate a sale with...i.e., the top-ranked books might sell more quickly than the lower-ranked ones, so rank those lower.

From A Buick 8 was a good book, but if I were to re-read it I probably would wish for it to be more of a novella instead of a novel. Cut out all the flashback/character scenes, if I remember correctly, and just focus on the strange vehicle and the experiments. I remember that book being somewhat controversial in the sense that it was reputed that nothing was explained and nothing much happened, but I thought plenty happened and that perhaps toward the end too much was explained, believe it or not. When they do the film version, I hope all of the character-type stuff is dropped and maybe a found-footage approach is utilized...

Comment

Working...
              X