Sharp Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Objects

Anyone caught the adaptation of Flynn's Sharp Objects?

I loved the book but haven't yet seen the first two episodes. It's been getting rave reviews.

I just read the book last month, and loved it. I was really looking forward to this mini-series.

I was ready to bail after the first episode, but my wife wanted to give it another try, so we watched the second episode. I watched half of it, and I'm out.

They're dragging a 250-page book out over eight episodes, and it is sooooooo....sloooooow. Ponderous, pretentious, overblown, self-important, way too serious. The "profound" silences in the flashbacks, the long scenes of Amy Adams just driving around listening to music and brooding......I found it to be unbearable. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've seen enough.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
      I just read the book last month, and loved it. I was really looking forward to this mini-series.

I was ready to bail after the first episode, but my wife wanted to give it another try, so we watched the second episode. I watched half of it, and I'm out.

They're dragging a 250-page book out over eight episodes, and it is sooooooo....sloooooow. Ponderous, pretentious, overblown, self-important, way too serious. The "profound" silences in the flashbacks, the long scenes of Amy Adams just driving around listening to music and brooding......I found it to be unbearable. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've seen enough.
      That's disappointing. I'm not averse to 'ponderous, overblown, self-important' works though so I may enjoy it!
      I'll probably wait till the entire series is aired and then binge-watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
        That's disappointing. I'm not averse to 'ponderous, overblown, self-important' works though so I may enjoy it!
        I'll probably wait till the entire series is aired and then binge-watch.
        My Book of the Year when it came out and at the time seemed me and King only ones who'd had the pleasure. This was was back when Matt had Shocklines up and was the best room on the net for many years. Few days later others, NJ, Seiber, grabbed copies and loved it. New, refreshing, Flynn wrote that sucker as if she had a pair : Nasty sleekness,that,(cough) got under your skin. Great southern noir murder tale with a new kind of protagonist at the helm, functioning alcoholic working woman tossed back in to a skeleton riddled past of her home town, memories upon memories assalting her as she bails and bails out of her memory boat and keeps searching for the truth which, I believe, she subconciously already knew.

Now this series ? Please see above. Totally agree. Very underwhelming and I was pissed. So looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mtyree View Post
          My Book of the Year when it came out and at the time seemed me and King only ones who'd had the pleasure. This was was back when Matt had Shocklines up and was the best room on the net for many years. Few days later others, NJ, Seiber, grabbed copies and loved it. New, refreshing, Flynn wrote that sucker as if she had a pair : Nasty sleekness,that,(cough) got under your skin. Great southern noir murder tale with a new kind of protagonist at the helm, functioning alcoholic working woman tossed back in to a skeleton riddled past of her home town, memories upon memories assalting her as she bails and bails out of her memory boat and keeps searching for the truth which, I believe, she subconciously already knew.

Now this series ? Please see above. Totally agree. Very underwhelming and I was pissed. So looking forward to it.
          Haven't read the book yet, but am really looking forward to it. If it comes anywhere close to Gone Girl I will love it. Skipping the show until after I read the book.

Comment

Where is it being shown?

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
            Anyone caught the adaptation of Flynn's Sharp Objects?

I loved the book but haven't yet seen the first two episodes. It's been getting rave reviews.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

HBO, Ben.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

My wife has been watching the show and loves it. She has not read the book.

Comment

Thank you. I do not have that channel.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                  HBO, Ben.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                  X