Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sharp Objects

  1. #1
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    23

    Sharp Objects

    Anyone caught the adaptation of Flynn's Sharp Objects?

    I loved the book but haven't yet seen the first two episodes. It's been getting rave reviews.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    2
    I just read the book last month, and loved it. I was really looking forward to this mini-series.

    I was ready to bail after the first episode, but my wife wanted to give it another try, so we watched the second episode. I watched half of it, and I'm out.

    They're dragging a 250-page book out over eight episodes, and it is sooooooo....sloooooow. Ponderous, pretentious, overblown, self-important, way too serious. The "profound" silences in the flashbacks, the long scenes of Amy Adams just driving around listening to music and brooding......I found it to be unbearable. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've seen enough.

  3. #3
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I just read the book last month, and loved it. I was really looking forward to this mini-series.

    I was ready to bail after the first episode, but my wife wanted to give it another try, so we watched the second episode. I watched half of it, and I'm out.

    They're dragging a 250-page book out over eight episodes, and it is sooooooo....sloooooow. Ponderous, pretentious, overblown, self-important, way too serious. The "profound" silences in the flashbacks, the long scenes of Amy Adams just driving around listening to music and brooding......I found it to be unbearable. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've seen enough.
    That's disappointing. I'm not averse to 'ponderous, overblown, self-important' works though so I may enjoy it!
    I'll probably wait till the entire series is aired and then binge-watch.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That's disappointing. I'm not averse to 'ponderous, overblown, self-important' works though so I may enjoy it!
    I'll probably wait till the entire series is aired and then binge-watch.
    My Book of the Year when it came out and at the time seemed me and King only ones who'd had the pleasure. This was was back when Matt had Shocklines up and was the best room on the net for many years. Few days later others, NJ, Seiber, grabbed copies and loved it. New, refreshing, Flynn wrote that sucker as if she had a pair : Nasty sleekness,that,(cough) got under your skin. Great southern noir murder tale with a new kind of protagonist at the helm, functioning alcoholic working woman tossed back in to a skeleton riddled past of her home town, memories upon memories assalting her as she bails and bails out of her memory boat and keeps searching for the truth which, I believe, she subconciously already knew.

    Now this series ? Please see above. Totally agree. Very underwhelming and I was pissed. So looking forward to it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,578
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mtyree View Post
    My Book of the Year when it came out and at the time seemed me and King only ones who'd had the pleasure. This was was back when Matt had Shocklines up and was the best room on the net for many years. Few days later others, NJ, Seiber, grabbed copies and loved it. New, refreshing, Flynn wrote that sucker as if she had a pair : Nasty sleekness,that,(cough) got under your skin. Great southern noir murder tale with a new kind of protagonist at the helm, functioning alcoholic working woman tossed back in to a skeleton riddled past of her home town, memories upon memories assalting her as she bails and bails out of her memory boat and keeps searching for the truth which, I believe, she subconciously already knew.

    Now this series ? Please see above. Totally agree. Very underwhelming and I was pissed. So looking forward to it.
    Haven't read the book yet, but am really looking forward to it. If it comes anywhere close to Gone Girl I will love it. Skipping the show until after I read the book.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    12
    Where is it being shown?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Anyone caught the adaptation of Flynn's Sharp Objects?

    I loved the book but haven't yet seen the first two episodes. It's been getting rave reviews.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    2
    HBO, Ben.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,578
    Rep Power
    23
    My wife has been watching the show and loves it. She has not read the book.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    12
    Thank you. I do not have that channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    HBO, Ben.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •