The Comic-Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did someone say comic books?

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 of them. I must admit that I don't really keep up with any modern comic book series though. My interest lies mainly with ECs and pre-code horror from the 1950s, plus gold, silver and bronze age books from the 1970s.

Comic Room-2.jpg
    Comic Room-5.jpg
    Comic Room-7.jpg
    Long Boxes.jpg
    Spinner.jpg

Comment

nice.
      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I don't fell nearly as bad about my small collection now lol.

Comment

That's a lot of comic books.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Great thread...

I have to say, I can't really call myself a true comic-book person because I don't really buy them all the time, but similar to a couple posts above -- especially from Marmaduke -- I mostly like old horror/sci-fi comics. Tales From the Crypt, Weird Science, etc. Also as someone mentioned, I tend toward IDW...they publish some horror as well, which is not coming to me at the moment for some reason, but I believe it is Haunted Horror? I think related to that series is the big paperback collections that I absolutely love...I think they are considered pre-code, and they go by names such as Witches Tales and Chamber of Chills. I too have enjoyed the Tales From the Darkside publications. Also from IDW I think is Back to the Future...I have a couple of those as well.

Basically what I do is have an urge for comics and then buy a couple here and there. I won't care about reading all issues in an arc. I must also mention that, I think we all have to admit this, the Archie comics company is absolutely killing it with their horror versions of Archie. I would imagine, given the series Riverdale, that we will see an adaptation of Archie's take on zombies come to the television screen at some point. Besides Archie horror, I love the regular Archie comics from time to time as well, the classic ones. Especially around Halloween. One day this company is going to be acquired by some bigger media concern in this time of industry consolidation. (CD should really try to alter its business model to make itself attractive as a takeover target, as an aside.)

We should also mention CD's Grave Tales. In fact, let's encourage the company to produce more of them!

I've always wanted to write a horror comic, just once, not to make a career of it. Someday I am going to try to figure out how one can do that, maybe print one on demand using an application that has images one can select and then using an input interface to fill in the dialogue balloons (I am not an artist).

Like I say, great thread...and some awesome photos from Marmaduke, thanks for them...
            Last edited by JJ123; 07-18-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 comics. I have about 10,000 that I haven't read yet.....I always figured that these would be my retirement nest egg, but the digital age has pretty much destroyed the market for bronze and modern age back-issues.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 comics. I have about 10,000 that I haven't read yet.....I always figured that these would be my retirement nest egg, but the digital age has pretty much destroyed the market for bronze and modern age back-issues.
                Embarrassed? I think that's awesome! I only have somewhere around 20,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                  Embarrassed? I think that's awesome! I only have somewhere around 20,000.
                  Well, it's nice to be around like-minded people....I really don't know anyone that collects comics, so the occasional internet contact with other fans is like a gift from God for me.
                  I've pretty much given up on most new Marvel & DC books, but there are some great independent books out there, and it seems like each week brings a slew of new collections of vintage material that I just have to have. Comics and books keep me sane. My wife can always tell if I haven't been getting enough reading time. "You're getting crotchety! Go read for a little while!"
                  http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Would it be cool to post pics here of our comics collection (mine is super small)? There is a separate thread for personal collections so wanted to double check before I loaded this one down.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                      Would it be cool to post pics here of our comics collection (mine is super small)? There is a separate thread for personal collections so wanted to double check before I loaded this one down.
                      I would say if it's a broad overview like Marmaduke posted that's probably fine, but if it's title by title then maybe keep it to the collection threads.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        I would say if it's a broad overview like Marmaduke posted that's probably fine, but if it's title by title then maybe keep it to the collection threads.

Comment

I first got into comics in the mid-80s - specifically GI Joe. Number 38 was the first comic I ever bought (I think I've talked about that before somewhere else around here . . .)

When I moved overseas, I was introduced to more and more comics. I specifically remember really liking The Uncanny X-Men, Captain America, and Iron Man. I also distinctly recall not enjoying DC comics - or at least the ones I picked up. Something about the characters, the artwork, and hell, even the paper all felt different enough that I just couldn't do it.

After moving back to California in 1989, I had to live via mail order because I didn't have access to a comic book store, or even reliable access to a newsstand. New England Comics was my go to supplier, and then later Westfield.

I collected comics until the early 2000s when due to some financial issues, I had to cutback.

I've only begone recently getting back into comic books. First I started revisiting those series that I used to read, but never finished. Jeff Smith's Bone, Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, and Kurt Busiek's Astro City, and Brian Vaughn's Y the Last Man, to name a few. From there I've slowly branched out, mainly sticking to other series that these same creators were responsible. Twitter has really helped me to get re-introduced to a lot of what's going on, but it was still proving quite difficult to find something new to read. Even series with very positive word of mouth proved to not be my liking.

Now saying all of that, I have been reading quite a bit more comics the last year or so. David Petersen's Mouse Guard (for those of you who know me on here, that should be of no surprise,) Terry Moore's Rachel Rising, Brian K Vaughn's Paper Girls, are just three that I have really enjoyed lately. I also enjoyed Bendis's first dozen or so issues of the Miles Morales Spider-Man, but eventually I grew bored of the whole thing. Simply had no idea what was going on after awhile. Glad I got those from the library instead of spending money on them.

I got a deal on Marvel Unlimited for the first month ($0.02!) so I've been going through quite a few recommended series, and while there are those that just don't do it for me (I'm looking at you Black Widow!) some have proven to be a lot of fun - Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, and the first X-23 series.

Lots of words that don't necessary say too much.

I have realized recently that so many comics are written for the inevitable trade that will come out. After reading Warren Ellis's Extremis storyline from Iron Man, I felt like it was just so rushed. Six issues wasn't nearly enough time to build up what was happening. I understand that trades are super important to the industry, but the stories just feel off to me. I guess maybe I miss Chris Claremont or Peter David given the chance to just write and write and create worlds with no worry about a $20 trade in six months.

Now saying all of this - I got a few comics in the mail today:

Full Bleed Volume 2
                          Saga - Deluxe volumes 1 and 2
                          Paper Girls volumes 3 and 4
                          Astro City volumes 14 and 15
                          The Old Guard volume 1

Currently I'm on Volume 2 of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I do love me some Kitty Pryde and Lockheed!

Comment

Some more interesting post additions to the thread...

On the question of digital comics affecting prices for physical issues: I did not realize that would be a problem. I would figure there would still be appreciation because the physical issues would, I assume, be more unique. An interesting thing to learn.

As I was reading through the thread, I was thinking about how I like to find old comics/magazines (I tend to collecting humor magazines more so than comics...Mad, but especially Cracked/Crazy). One problem I always have with old copies is sometimes the moldy odor causes an allergic reaction for me. Does anyone think a business model could be made feasible for the industry such that print-on-demand could be used to recreate new copies of old issues? Why can't I, for example, order up Weird Science #1 on demand, with all the same ads? Why can't I order Action Comics #1? Why can't I order all issues of Cracked with Star Wars parodies? That's always been odd to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                              Some more interesting post additions to the thread...

On the question of digital comics affecting prices for physical issues: I did not realize that would be a problem. I would figure there would still be appreciation because the physical issues would, I assume, be more unique. An interesting thing to learn.

As I was reading through the thread, I was thinking about how I like to find old comics/magazines (I tend to collecting humor magazines more so than comics...Mad, but especially Cracked/Crazy). One problem I always have with old copies is sometimes the moldy odor causes an allergic reaction for me. Does anyone think a business model could be made feasible for the industry such that print-on-demand could be used to recreate new copies of old issues? Why can't I, for example, order up Weird Science #1 on demand, with all the same ads? Why can't I order Action Comics #1? Why can't I order all issues of Cracked with Star Wars parodies? That's always been odd to me.
                              I have always said I did not get into comics as a kid but your post got me thinking. Are Mad and Cracked considered comics? I always thought of them as parody magazines. I often bought Mad in my youth and sometimes bought Cracked. I also realized that I did buy more comics than I realized, I just did not but the mainstream comics. Even as a child I leaned to darker tales so the comics I bought were Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella etc. So I guess I did buy comics as a child!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                                I first got into comics in the mid-80s - specifically GI Joe. Number 38 was the first comic I ever bought (I think I've talked about that before somewhere else around here . . .)

When I moved overseas, I was introduced to more and more comics. I specifically remember really liking The Uncanny X-Men, Captain America, and Iron Man. I also distinctly recall not enjoying DC comics - or at least the ones I picked up. Something about the characters, the artwork, and hell, even the paper all felt different enough that I just couldn't do it.

After moving back to California in 1989, I had to live via mail order because I didn't have access to a comic book store, or even reliable access to a newsstand. New England Comics was my go to supplier, and then later Westfield.

I collected comics until the early 2000s when due to some financial issues, I had to cutback.

I've only begone recently getting back into comic books. First I started revisiting those series that I used to read, but never finished. Jeff Smith's Bone, Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, and Kurt Busiek's Astro City, and Brian Vaughn's Y the Last Man, to name a few. From there I've slowly branched out, mainly sticking to other series that these same creators were responsible. Twitter has really helped me to get re-introduced to a lot of what's going on, but it was still proving quite difficult to find something new to read. Even series with very positive word of mouth proved to not be my liking.

Now saying all of that, I have been reading quite a bit more comics the last year or so. David Petersen's Mouse Guard (for those of you who know me on here, that should be of no surprise,) Terry Moore's Rachel Rising, Brian K Vaughn's Paper Girls, are just three that I have really enjoyed lately. I also enjoyed Bendis's first dozen or so issues of the Miles Morales Spider-Man, but eventually I grew bored of the whole thing. Simply had no idea what was going on after awhile. Glad I got those from the library instead of spending money on them.

I got a deal on Marvel Unlimited for the first month ($0.02!) so I've been going through quite a few recommended series, and while there are those that just don't do it for me (I'm looking at you Black Widow!) some have proven to be a lot of fun - Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, and the first X-23 series.

Lots of words that don't necessary say too much.

I have realized recently that so many comics are written for the inevitable trade that will come out. After reading Warren Ellis's Extremis storyline from Iron Man, I felt like it was just so rushed. Six issues wasn't nearly enough time to build up what was happening. I understand that trades are super important to the industry, but the stories just feel off to me. I guess maybe I miss Chris Claremont or Peter David given the chance to just write and write and create worlds with no worry about a $20 trade in six months.

Now saying all of this - I got a few comics in the mail today:

Full Bleed Volume 2
                                Saga - Deluxe volumes 1 and 2
                                Paper Girls volumes 3 and 4
                                Astro City volumes 14 and 15
                                The Old Guard volume 1

Currently I'm on Volume 2 of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I do love me some Kitty Pryde and Lockheed!
                                I just received Full Bleed Volume 2, have only looked through it so far but it looks like a winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X