The Comic-Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Comic-Book Thread

Any comic book readers out there? Chime in with what you're reading!

I'm wrapping up a three month long INFINITY-GAUNTLET themed binge-read, which I've been posting about on my blog. The last book (For now...) is Jim Starlin's MARVEL: THE END, which is better than I remember it being the first time around.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

I'm mostly really bad at keeping up with comics, but about every 6 months or so I go on a binge and catch back up. Generally the Bat family books, Justice League, and sometimes Superman / Flash when they aren't boring. I used to collect all the Hellboy / B.P.R.D. books as well, but kinda fell of that horse a couple of years ago. I do need to go back and catch up on them though. They have to be my favorite reads.

Outside of that it's not really American comic fare, but I pretty religously keep up with the One-Punch Man manga. Probably the best superhero satire that exists (in my opinion). I used to read a bunch of other manga as well, but all the series I read either ended or got really boring and I never replaced them.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I'm mostly really bad at keeping up with comics, but about every 6 months or so I go on a binge and catch back up. Generally the Bat family books, Justice League, and sometimes Superman / Flash when they aren't boring. I used to collect all the Hellboy / B.P.R.D. books as well, but kinda fell of that horse a couple of years ago. I do need to go back and catch up on them though. They have to be my favorite reads.

Outside of that it's not really American comic fare, but I pretty religously keep up with the One-Punch Man manga. Probably the best superhero satire that exists (in my opinion). I used to read a bunch of other manga as well, but all the series I read either ended or got really boring and I never replaced them.
      HELLBOY and B.P.R.D. are my favorite comics, bar none. If you're trying to get caught up, Dan, Dark Horse has published a bunch of Omnibus editions of both series recently, so the material is out there, in big chunks, and at decent prices.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
        HELLBOY and B.P.R.D. are my favorite comics, bar none. If you're trying to get caught up, Dan, Dark Horse has published a bunch of Omnibus editions of both series recently, so the material is out there, in big chunks, and at decent prices.
        Yea I have the first two or three Hellboy Library editions. I know the last Hellboy arc I read, it was the on just before Hellboy in Hell, but I can't remember the last B.P.R.D. arc, and unfortunately my collection is in storage right now and it'd be a nightmare to find to see where I left off. It's all good though I prefer reading comics in real big chunks anyways as opposed to issue to issue.

Instagram

Comment

They recently published the Library Edition of HELLBOY IN HELL, and they're collecting EVERY Hellboy story in a series of five omnibuses- Three for the main stories, and two for the short stories. They run about $25.00, but you can get them for almost half off at the In Stock Trades website.

Comment

I don't think I own any thing outside of IDW comics. Strangely, I never read comics as a kid because I thought they were silly. Especially the superhero ones. So I probably will not be the most popular guy in this thread.

My taste for comics started with Locke & Key and I've branched out to several series from there that caught my eye.

Currently reading or have read:

Locke & Key All Arcs
            Tales From the Darkside
            October Faction
            30 Days of Night
            The Crow Memento Mori
            Lowlifes
            Sword of Ages
            Diablo House

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              I don't think I own any thing outside of IDW comics. Strangely, I never read comics as a kid because I thought they were silly. Especially the superhero ones. So I probably will not be the most popular guy in this thread.

My taste for comics started with Locke & Key and I've branched out to several series from there that caught my eye.

Locke & Key All Arcs
              Tales From the Darkside
              October Faction
              30 Days of Night
              The Crow Memento Mori
              Lowlifes
              Sword of Ages
              Diablo House
              I actually never read them as a kid either. They kinda required having money to spend and video games ate up all my money as a kid. I got into Hellboy because I fell in love with the movies. Though by that point I probably had been reading manga for a couple of years. DC comics mostly came about because of Batman, jumped on with the New 52 relaunch as it was a super easy place to start.

Instagram

Comment

Locke & Key All Arcs
                Tales From the Darkside
                October Faction
                30 Days of Night
                The Crow Memento Mori
                Lowlifes
                Sword of Ages
                Diablo House
                Loving superhero comics is not a requirement for this thread, so fear not! You've named some great books, but I suggest you try some Hellboy, Cullen Bunn's weird western THE SIXTH GUN, and Alan Moore's SWAMP THING and trilogy of THE COURTYARD, NEONOMICON, and PROVIDENCE.

Comment

I pretty much like anything Mike Mignolia is involved with.

Instagram

Comment

If anyone here reads digital comics, Comixology is having some great sales today. I just picked up the old Marvel LEGION OF MONSTERS one-shot and the Anthony Bourdain HUNGRY GHOSTS 4-issue mini-series for 99 cents each.

Comment

Loving superhero comics is not a requirement for this thread, so fear not! You've named some great books, but I suggest you try some Hellboy, Cullen Bunn's weird western THE SIXTH GUN, and Alan Moore's SWAMP THING and trilogy of THE COURTYARD, NEONOMICON, and PROVIDENCE.
                      I'll check 'em out. How far back do each of those series go? My OCD wants to know

Comment

HELLBOY has been around for over 20 years, and there's a lot of material out there. As I was telling Dan, Dark Horse is collecting it all in five $25.00 omnibuses, three for the main stories, that comprise the core of the mythology, and two for the short stories, which generally are standalone, and can be read and understood by anyone.

THE COURTYARD, NEONOMICON, and PROVIDENCE are all connected...THE COURTYARD and NEONOMICON are actually collected in the NEONOMICON paperback, and PROVIDENCE is...three volumes, I think? I believe a one-volume edition is planned.

Alan Moore's seminal SWAMP THING run lasted from issue 20 to issue 64, and is collected in five paperbacks.

All in all, these are some of the finest Horror fiction out there, bar none.

Comment

HELLBOY has been around for over 20 years, and there's a lot of material out there. As I was telling Dan, Dark Horse is collecting it all in five $25.00 omnibuses, three for the main stories, that comprise the core of the mythology, and two for the short stories, which generally are standalone, and can be read and understood by anyone.

THE COURTYARD, NEONOMICON, and PROVIDENCE are all connected...THE COURTYARD and NEONOMICON are actually collected in the NEONOMICON paperback, and PROVIDENCE is...three volumes, I think? I believe a one-volume edition is planned.

Alan Moore's seminal SWAMP THING run lasted from issue 20 to issue 64, and is collected in five paperbacks.

All in all, these are some of the finest Horror fiction out there, bar none.
                          Wow! Tons of stuff then.

Comment

Wow! Tons of stuff then.
                            While Hellboy has been around a long time and same with B.P.R.D. it's not too hard to catch up on it. It's not like the standard 1 to 2 issues a month for 20+ years sort of thing. I think there's less than 20 trade paperbacks for the main Hellboy series.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              I pretty much like anything Mike Mignolia is involved with.
                              He's awesome. I have the Batman Black and White statue based on his design. It's perfection.

Also I will buy anything with Simon Bisley art.

Comment

Working...
                              X