Fantasy Book Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy Book Suggestions

Does anyone have any recommendations for Fantasy books? I'm in a bit of a lul, I'm looking for either one offs or trilogy's at most. Preferably nothing that is "incomplete". Here's some examples of things I've already read and enjoy. Harry Potter, Wheel of Time, Shannara (there's way too many of those), Stephen R. Donaldson, LOTR, Rick Riordan, Game of Thrones, there's more that I'm probably forgetting.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I really enjoyed the first Winternight book from Katherine Arden - The Bear and the Nightingale. It really surprised me how much I enjoyed it actually. In fact, I just started the second book in the trilogy yesterday. (The third book is due in January I think.)

It uses a lot of Russian mythology which I found intriguing and new.

Another book I recently read that just floored me was Laini Taylor’s Sleep the Dreamer. (Its sequel comes out in October.) I believe this one is classified more as a young adult fantasy, but I still loved it.

Also - these books aren’t in my usual reading genres which may have played a part into how much I enjoyed them. Sometimes trying something new pays off.

Comment

Well depending on what you are looking for if you are looking for something a bit darker and faster paced check out Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Three books, one story, with a few extra stand alones if you want more.

If you want something more epic and traditional I'd recommend Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Comment

I liked MYTHAGO WOOD by Robert Holdstock

51yLM3otJDL.SX316.SY316.jpg

"One of the strangest, most beautiful and most compelling fantasies I have ever read. A marvel of a book" - Keith Roberts
        Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

^That's one that's caught my eye a few times at the bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            ^That's one that's caught my eye a few times at the bookstore.
            I love the cover. I know you’re not supposed to ... but I’d check it out based solely on the cover.

Comment

and it is a REALLY good story. First in a short series, but a great standalone.
              Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Django Wexler, The Thousand Names: Book One of The Shadow Campaigns . He's a good writer and the series is finished LOL!! A few others, Series: Book of the Ancestor, Red Sister, Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence. Heart of the World Series, Col Buchanan, Farlander, Stands a Shadow, etc. A Time of Dread John Gwynne, The Red Knight, etc, Miles Cameron the Traitor Son Cycle, The Grim Company series, Grim Company, Sword of the North, Dead Man’s Steel. Luke Scull and Finally RJ Baker’s The Wounded Kingdom Series, Age of Assassins, Blood of Assassins and King of Assassins.
                Last edited by mhatchett; 07-07-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X