• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Road!

Greetings from Cannon Beach Oregon!
    IMG_0002.jpg

Haystack Rock!

As a long-time, former Oregonian, I know the coast area well… Newport, Lincoln City, Waldport, Cannon Beach, etc.…spent a lot of time along that stretch. My in-laws, in fact, still live in Waldport, and my wife and I got married at the Little Log Church in Yachats.

Enjoy your time there!
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Haystack Rock!

As a long-time, former Oregonian, I know the coast area well… Newport, Lincoln City, Waldport, Cannon Beach, etc.…spent a lot of time along that stretch. My in-laws, in fact, still live in Waldport, and my wife and I got married at the Little Log Church in Yachats.

Enjoy your time there!
      I know that church! I love the Oregon coast and Cannon beach is one of my favorite places on earth. Glad to be back for the Sand Castle contest, it has been too many years since I was here for it. Unfortunately the Coaster theatre is between shows so I will not get to catch a play this visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I know that church! I love the Oregon coast and Cannon beach is one of my favorite places on earth.
        One of my biggest surprises when we moved to Washington was how disappointing the WA coast is as compared to the OR coast...just no comparison. I don’t think we’ve been to the WA coast once in the last couple decades, just not worth it. WA has a lot of natural beauty spots, but its coast isn’t one of them.

Comment

One of my biggest surprises when we moved to Washington was how disappointing the WA coast is as compared to the OR coast...just no comparison. I don’t think we’ve been to the WA coast once in the last couple decades, just not worth it. WA has a lot of natural beauty spots, but its coast isn’t one of them.
          When I moved up here from California 20 years ago (checks my math, yeah March 1998 . . .) I was horribly disappointed with the beaches here. Yeah, I know you can't compare Long Beach with Ocean Beach, but damn, it seemed like everyone I met RAVED about going to the ocean here.

I do appreciate the oceans (ever since I learned to scuba dive) but they're just not all that good here.

I was also confused why everyone was obsessed with going to a military prison in Kansas too. You see, that's what I immediately thought when people said they loved visiting Leavenworth. Silly me.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            When I moved up here from California 20 years ago (checks my math, yeah March 1998 . . .) I was horribly disappointed with the beaches here. Yeah, I know you can't compare Long Beach with Ocean Beach, but damn, it seemed like everyone I met RAVED about going to the ocean here.

I do appreciate the oceans (ever since I learned to scuba dive) but they're just not all that good here.

I was also confused why everyone was obsessed with going to a military prison in Kansas too. You see, that's what I immediately thought when people said they loved visiting Leavenworth. Silly me.
            That's gorgeous country, Martin! I've got to get up there some day.

The prison is just up the road and I've never been (sentenced or to visit)

Comment

Northwest beaches are very different from Southern California beaches. In the northwest you don't go to play in the water as it is only warm enough to do that a couple of weeks out of the year, and even that statement is graded on a curve. I actually like Northwest beaches better than Southern California beaches. Oregon also has the public beaches law. All of the beaches in Oregon are public space and are managed by the state parks. They are great for walking, relaxing end enjoying the sights of nature. Friday night we watched the Puffins that nest on Haystack rock embark for their evening meal and Saturday morning saw a bald eagle come in from the pacific with a large fish and fly right over our deck.

I also completely agree that Oregon beaches offer a lot more than Washington's. Can't really explain it except that they do. With that said I must add that the San Juan's is absolutely stunning, especially if you can get out and watch the Orca's hunting. I have even seen Deer swimming between the islands.

And Brian it is indeed gorgeous, from my house I can be on a glacier, active volcano, beach, mountain forest or high desert within two hours. I can also be in the Columbia river gorge within minutes. If you come to Leavenworth (Washington, not the prison) I recommend coming in December. It is a beautiful place year round but completely transforms for Christmas.

Here is a photo from the contest:
              P1380078.jpg

Comment

Amazing stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  When I moved up here from California 20 years ago (checks my math, yeah March 1998 . . .)

people said they loved visiting Leavenworth. Silly me.
                  How coincidental is that -- March '88 is also when we moved up to the Seattle area (from Oregon). Been here now 30 years and counting...man, that seems/is a long time.

Love Leavenworth, though probably less now than in the early years. While I suppose there's now more stuff to see and do, the horde of summer visitors makes it a less quaint, charming place to visit than it used to be. That said, we usually still make it over there every-other year or so. Lake Chelan has become our WA destination of choice the past decade or so...in fact, we're headed there again this summer for a extra-long weekend, renting a house with a bunch of family.

Btw, Martin: Did you participate in or just watch the sandcastle-building competition?
                  Last edited by RonClinton; 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

How coincidental is that -- March '88 is also when we moved up to the Seattle area (from Oregon). Been here now 30 years and counting...man, that seems/is a long time.

Love Leavenworth, though probably less now than in the early years. While I suppose there's now more stuff to see and do, the horde of summer visitors makes it a less quaint, charming place to visit than it used to be. That said, we usually still make it over there every-other year or so. Lake Chelan has become our WA destination of choice the past decade or so...in fact, we're headed there again this summer for a extra-long weekend, renting a house with a bunch of family.

Btw, Martin: Did you participate in or just watch the sandcastle-building competition?
                    Just watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Just watched.
                      Would love to see that someday. There's also a big Kite Festival in Lincoln City that's supposed to be incredible, but I haven't attended that, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X