Thread: "Tommyknockers" movie

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed

"Tommyknockers" movie

I was reading that there will be a new movie based on the book, maybe a couple years from now, I guess (or whenever). Anyone know if he owns the rights to this, or is it like the Corn movies that he can't stop from multiplying?

I really liked the book, but it would be neat if the ending were changed (not sure what that could be; just forcing myself to think for a moment, maybe the Earth is destroyed, or maybe its orbit is knocked around and the population dies out...wasn't that one of the fates in a world visited by the aliens?). Also, if I were making the movie, I would set it during the present and make the characters high-school age...tell the story on social media, maybe incorporate a found-footage motif in part, etc. I'd eliminate the whole clock thing (trying to remember what that was about, with the hologram -- I think it was just to cover up what was going on?), stuff like that; guess I would change a lot, in an effort to attract the younger viewers of today (for the talking Jesus scene, I'd maybe have Jesus appear on Netflix in a new series only she -- Rebecca Paulson, I believe was the character's name -- can see; the episodes become very suggestive to her).

Thoughts?

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ123 View Post
    I was reading that there will be a new movie based on the book, maybe a couple years from now, I guess (or whenever). Anyone know if he owns the rights to this, or is it like the Corn movies that he can't stop from multiplying?

I really liked the book, but it would be neat if the ending were changed (not sure what that could be; just forcing myself to think for a moment, maybe the Earth is destroyed, or maybe its orbit is knocked around and the population dies out...wasn't that one of the fates in a world visited by the aliens?). Also, if I were making the movie, I would set it during the present and make the characters high-school age...tell the story on social media, maybe incorporate a found-footage motif in part, etc. I'd eliminate the whole clock thing (trying to remember what that was about, with the hologram -- I think it was just to cover up what was going on?), stuff like that; guess I would change a lot, in an effort to attract the younger viewers of today (for the talking Jesus scene, I'd maybe have Jesus appear on Netflix in a new series only she -- Rebecca Paulson, I believe was the character's name -- can see; the episodes become very suggestive to her).

Thoughts?
    Seen a few articles about this project. I believe this is the most recent:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ng-war-1104737

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Not a fan of the book at all so hopefully a new movie is something I could get into.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Not a fan of the book at all so hopefully a new movie is something I could get into.
    I enjoyed the book but the original movie was not good. I actually think this is a story that will be a tough one to translate into a movie.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I enjoyed the book but the original movie was not good. I actually think this is a story that will be a tough one to translate into a movie.
    Agree. TV movie I believe that was pretty bad.