The Haunting of Hill House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah, it is better. But not better enough.
    Though I'd like to add that the cover of the lettered is probably far better than pictured. It's probably one of those things where the quality has to be felt to be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      80% sold out on the limited is impressive!
      I agree. I'm glad to hear that this is a successful announcement for them!

Though I'd like to add that the cover of the lettered is probably far better than pictured. It's probably one of those things where the quality has to be felt to be appreciated.
      This is how I'm feeling about the Centipede Press edition. It's only going to be $30-$70 dollars more than this edition with my subscriber discount and it's gonna be a BIG book (8 X 13 is pretty large). But I'm also a sucker for a good looking book in a traycase AND I'd like to get in on Suntup. Anyone want to knock me off the fence in either direction? I just can't land on one vs. the other.

Comment

Lettered edition sold out and Limited edition 90% sold a day after public release. Must say I am impressed with the response this book has received.

Comment

Lettered edition sold out and Limited edition 90% sold a day after public release. Must say I am impressed with the response this book has received.
          I wonder what the response would have been with a cheaper Centipede edition.

Comment

I wonder what the response would have been with a cheaper Centipede edition.
            It's hard to say, though Centipede's price point definitely shifted my thinking on the Suntup edition, which I thought was pretty darn pricey until I saw Centipede's. This is an important book in the genre and I really want a great limited edition of it, hence why I'm willing to drop this kind of dough.

I don't know how anybody else took it, but I thought it was nice of Centipede to post their Hill House info. This definitely allows the Hill House customers to make an informed decision and probably did kick a couple people in Suntup's direction.

I think that it's interesting that both presses were producing limited editions but didn't know about the other. I would have assumed that contracts would have been written in a way that would limit this type of thing.
            Last edited by Sock Monkey; 05-10-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Well, after numerous days of going back and forth, I finally settled in the Centipede Press edition. It came down to two things: 1. The size of the book. I really like the idea of a large oversized edition.
              2. Timing. Centipede’s edition isn’t up for presale yet, which gives me time to save up more money and not derail prior plans for upcoming purchases (three Masters of the Weird Tale volumes in the next several months, along with Dune).

I’m hoping to give Suntup a try in the future, though. If I didn’t have the option of a Centipede edition, I would have pulled the trigger on this with no hesitation. The book looks great.

Comment

The Suntup edition is sold out. It's Centipede or secondary market now. Centipede is ALSO doing We've Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson as well. So if you passed on Suntup, you can now get a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  Well, after numerous days of going back and forth, I finally settled in the Centipede Press edition. It came down to two things: 1. The size of the book. I really like the idea of a large oversized edition.
                  2. Timing. Centipede’s edition isn’t up for presale yet, which gives me time to save up more money and not derail prior plans for upcoming purchases (three Masters of the Weird Tale volumes in the next several months, along with Dune).

I’m hoping to give Suntup a try in the future, though. If I didn’t have the option of a Centipede edition, I would have pulled the trigger on this with no hesitation. The book looks great.
                  You can't go wrong with either of these. Congratulations!

Comment

Wise choice, SM. Depending on what the final price turns out to be (I still can't quite believe it's going to be close to $500, but I guess we'll see), I may join you.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The Suntup edition is sold out. It's Centipede or secondary market now. Centipede is ALSO doing We've Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson as well. So if you passed on Suntup, you can now get a set.
                      I sure wish Suntup was doing a Gift Edition of this one.

Comment

Centipede is ALSO doing We've Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson as well. So if you passed on Suntup, you can now get a set.
                        I saw this in today’s newsletter, so make that reason number 3 for going with Centipede. I hope that Castle is done in the same format as Hill House, though I’m unsure if my budget could handle two $500 books.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          I saw this in today’s newsletter, so make that reason number 3 for going with Centipede. I hope that Castle is done in the same format as Hill House, though I’m unsure if my budget could handle two $500 books.
                          Jerad is always thinking in sets. His vintage horror series. The Blackburn novels. The Cornell Woolrich books. And so many others. I would be surprised if Castle wasn't also oversized with the same artist and treatment.

Comment

I sure wish Suntup was doing a Gift Edition of this one.

So do I. I don't know if I would have opted for the Gift Edition since I also wanted the chance to get a Suntup number, but it would have been nice to have the option. I wonder if eliminating the gift edition option was part of an agreement between Paul and Jerad. Maybe they tried to level it out as much as possible. I sure hope Paul goes back to offering gift editions.

Comment

Well, for the guy who never wins at anything, I was delighted to learn that I will be one of the 50 customers to receive the planchette with my numbered edition of Hill House! I'm only posting it here because you fine folks are the only people in my world who will understand the thrill. I'm so happy!

Comment

Well, for the guy who never wins at anything, I was delighted to learn that I will be one of the 50 customers to receive the planchette with my numbered edition of Hill House! I'm only posting it here because you fine folks are the only people in my world who will understand the thrill. I'm so happy!
                                Congratulations! I look forward to the 'Very Special Unboxing' video.

Comment

Working...
                                X