Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Haunting of Hill House

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    YOU AND ME BOTH. I think this CDCC offer was the easiest to pass on. I'm still conflicted about what I'm going to do at 11 (CST). If I try and if I buy I'll rationalize it as more of a strategic buy and not an impulse buy. I want the book and I think it looks gorgeous (I prefer it ever so slightly over the Centipede edition) and it will also give me an inside track on future editions. So I see a lot of win. Though my hand is not nearly as fast and as sure as Roland's and there will be many gunslingers at this battle.
    If I were going to purchase a copy of Hill House it would be the Suntup edition. I went back an reviewed both of them and do really like what Paul has planned. I liked enough that I had to reconsider matching my Misery. I am still resisting but am at least considering it. Should you choose to grab one I think you will be able to.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    If I were going to purchase a copy of Hill House it would be the Suntup edition. I went back an reviewed both of them and do really like what Paul has planned. I liked enough that I had to reconsider matching my Misery. I am still resisting but am at least considering it. Should you choose to grab one I think you will be able to.

Good luck.
    Martin, I agree that the Suntup edition appears to be the more impressive edition, though as Sock Monkey mentioned earlier, I do think that the Centipede edition probably has more potential for sustained (or increasing) value, at least in the short term, given that Centipede has a longer proven track record and larger base of collectors (i.e. supply and demand). Suntup, while very nice, is relatively fresh out of the gate and not particularly known outside the King collecting community; no matter how nice an edition might be, if there's little demand for it outside of a very niche group, then value becomes relative. If resale value was at all a concern, I'd opt for the Centipede edition. 'Course, that said, there's no telling what kind of base and legacy Suntup will build over time...these early editions might actually turn out to be a bonanza, who knows.

That said, Jeff, it doesn't sound like you're getting it because you're a Jackson fan and/or just want to read it (in which case there are many cheaper alternatives), but rather because it keeps you in the loop for future Suntup and King releases. If that's the case, then it seems like kind of an expensive ticket-to-play to me, but I certainly understand the thinking. If you go for it, good luck.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Done.

Comment

A lot of Misery owners have passed since it's almost 20 minutes later and copies of both editions are still available.

Comment

A lot of Misery owners have passed since it's almost 20 minutes later and copies of both editions are still available.
          I expected that. That is why I figured you would not have a problem getting one if you chose to do so. Assuming your done comment meant you bought one, Congratulations! I am sure it will be fantastic but not my thing. If they offered an gift edition I probably would have purchased it.

Comment

Done.
            Congrats, Jeff...should be a great addition to your growing collection.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Congrats, Jeff...should be a great addition to your growing collection.
              Thanks! It's one that I've wanted to read for a long time. I would have waited for the Centipede edition if it was cheaper. But it cost more and I think the Suntup one looks better. I actually think the Suntup numbered looks better than the lettered. So I'm really happy.

Comment

I expected that. That is why I figured you would not have a problem getting one if you chose to do so. Assuming your done comment meant you bought one, Congratulations! I am sure it will be fantastic but not my thing. If they offered an gift edition I probably would have purchased it.
                Yeah, I bought one. I am surprised that both editions are still hanging on. I wonder if this will change anything for Paul moving forward--what books he has on deck and what editions he'll offer and what prices he'll shoot for. I expected a sell-out pretty quickly. And I think he would have gotten it if he didn't separate the King numbers from the non-King numbers.

Comment

Yeah, I bought one. I am surprised that both editions are still hanging on. I wonder if this will change anything for Paul moving forward--what books he has on deck and what editions he'll offer and what prices he'll shoot for. I expected a sell-out pretty quickly. And I think he would have gotten it if he didn't separate the King numbers from the non-King numbers.
                  I figured the Lettered would go quick due to the limitation but expect the Limited to last a while. Having the Lettered still available is a bit surprising to me.

Comment

I figured the Lettered would go quick due to the limitation but expect the Limited to last a while. Having the Lettered still available is a bit surprising to me.
                    I think the lettered and the numbered were too close in quality to justify such a price jump, with nearly the same looking tray cases. I actually prefer the cover of the numbered over the lettered.

Comment

I'm not TOO surprised considering the price point. Though it's hard to say how many are left, so our perception is that they haven't sold out, but there could only be one or two remaining which would be pretty darn successful I'd think. I was hoping that the Suntup edition would sell out so I wouldn't have to decided between the two editions...

On another thought, maybe we need a dedicated Suntup thread? This discussion has taken over both this and the Random Thoughts thread. No complaints, just a thought.

Comment

I think the lettered and the numbered were too close in quality to justify such a price jump, with nearly the same looking tray cases. I actually prefer the cover of the numbered over the lettered.
                        I'm with you as I prefer the limited versus lettered, though the escutcheon on the lettered is pretty creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          I'm not TOO surprised considering the price point. Though it's hard to say how many are left, so our perception is that they haven't sold out, but there could only be one or two remaining which would be pretty darn successful I'd think. I was hoping that the Suntup edition would sell out so I wouldn't have to decided between the two editions...

On another thought, maybe we need a dedicated Suntup thread? This discussion has taken over both this and the Random Thoughts thread. No complaints, just a thought.
                          On tdt someone just posted that one lettered remains and the numbered is 80% sold out.

And yeah this thread is derailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            I'm with you as I prefer the limited versus lettered, though the escutcheon on the lettered is pretty creepy.
                            Yeah, it is better. But not better enough.

Comment

On tdt someone just posted that one lettered remains and the numbered is 80% sold out.

And yeah this thread is derailed.
                              80% sold out on the limited is impressive!

Comment

Working...
                              X