Brian James Freeman's Patreon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    So finished reading Patreon Stories Volume Two last night. I expected a collection of Brian's fiction that I had already read. Boy did he over deliver! This book is in three sections. Short stories, poetry and some early stories. I actually enjoyed the early work and you can see the writer Brian has become in them. Poetry at its finest is a short story written in a poetic cadence. Brian generally delivers on that. I really expected the short stories to be repeats of things I have already read, as I have already read all his CD collections. Brian had other ideas and there are some stories here that are new to me and several really packed a punch. I think I have said this before but I will repeat myself. Brian's writing reminds me a lot of the writing of Stewart O'nan. That is a big complement. If you are expecting all out horror you will not get what you want. Much of Brian's stories are not horror at all, not to say there is not some mixed in. Brian's stories at their heart are about the human condition. I have said before that reading Stewart O'nan is like looking through a window at people living their lives. Many of these stories gave me the same feeling.

A side note for Brian. In your story notes of The Last Beautiful Day you mention that it was inspired by an actual news story. This happened with my sister and I can tell you that those days are imprinted in my psyche and have been part of shaping who I am as a man. The story brought a flood of emotions, in part because life is throwing a lot at me right now, but not in a bad way.

This book contained stories that are exactly what I needed wright now and I thank you for that!
    Couldn't agree more with you assessment of Brian's writing. Makes me downright shiver at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Couldn't agree more with you assessment of Brian's writing. Makes me downright shiver at times.
      If you have not read Stewart O'nan you need to give him a read!

Comment

If you have not read Stewart O'nan you need to give him a read!
        I'll have to add him to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          I'll have to add him to the list.
          I recommend starting with Songs for the Missing.

Comment

I recommend starting with Songs for the Missing.
            Got it.

Comment

All titles so far. Had to start a second shelf. IMG_20200326_182638.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                All titles so far. Had to start a second shelf. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22039[/ATTACH]
                Very nice!

Comment

Nice! That's quite a bit of stuff thus far. I need to add at least another 6 bookcases and Brian will get his own. If/when that ever happens.

Comment

Some really nice items from the Patreon campaign. In spoilers as to not take up much room:

Comment

And the Remarque:

BJF The Zombie Who Cried Human Lettered 7.jpg

Comment

All of that is stunning especially the remarque. Unfortunately my Patreon is only at the limited level so I have to be satisfied admiring yours.

Comment

All of that is stunning especially the remarque. Unfortunately my Patreon is only at the limited level so I have to be satisfied admiring yours.
                          I really love what Brian is doing over there and glad I'm in a position to be able to support him at a higher level. All our support matters no matter the level. So I wouldn't consider your support limited at all, Martin.

Comment

I'll have to try and get a picture of my remarque.

Comment

Missing out on those lettered editions of PATREON STORIES always bums me out because they look so stinking awesome. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X