Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Paperbacks From Hell / vintage horror pbs crowd...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Paperbacks From Hell / vintage horror pbs crowd...

I suspect many of us have read Grady Hendrix' new PAPERBACKS FROM HELL release, where he discusses, reviews, and in some cases affectionately skewers the horror paperbacks and their particular tropes from primarily the '80s and early '90s mass-market horror boom.

I'm one of those who has been picking up those Paperbacks From Hell pbs over the last couple months, inspired by the Hendrix book, and have been posting pics of them up on Twitter. Those interested can see my tweets w/ pics here (and feel free to follow me...you know, I think that's the first time I've ever typed those words, but damn it, one of these days I do hope to break the 100-follower mark (my goals are modest ):

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

I've been picking them up for the most part just as a fun lark. I do plan to read many -- well, some -- of them, but unlike my normal TBR pile, these horror pbos pickups are for me more about nostalgia, the cover art bringing back memories of a time that seems increasingly long ago and removed from today's publishing climate. They're fun, they're gaudy, they're time travel devices.

I have seem prices of some of these skyrocket thanks to Hendrix' book, but that's definitely not how I roll on these things. At two, three bucks a pop, they're a fun, harmless diversion, and they're becoming increasingly less common, so finding one is often like an Easter Egg hunt in a bookstore. But double-digit pricing?...I'll leave the true Collecting of these things to others.

Anyway, thought some here might enjoy seeing some pics of what I've found. I'll continue to post new shots on Twitter as I get them...though it seems like finding these things is a feast-or-famine kind of thing.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

This is awesome. I'm going to have to read that damn book too.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ron. Some great looking books there. I have probably had Paperbacks From Hell in my hands four times at Powell's and have not yet bought it. I will at some time end up buying it.

Comment

You both really should read/buy Hendrix’s book...it’s about as much fun as genre fans like us can have with a book. Beware, though, that it can inspire nonsensical pb purchasing.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

83 followers now ... which reminds me - I followed someone else from here and it still surprises me when their tweets come across because they aren’t like most of the people I follow. But I digress ...

I have this book but I always forget about it. Probably be one of those I never get to ... but I am back to taking the train to work so I have a lot more time for reading. And I have a work trip upcoming so I’ll have a bit more free (aka not at home with chores) time.

Comment

Working...
          X