Thread: Controversy at Dark Regions

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar

Controversy at Dark Regions

Apparently there's been some pay issues with authors (and customers?) at Dark Regions press, as reported by Brian Keene. I hope the issues get resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction.
    Last edited by Theli; 02-14-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Apparently there's been some pay issues wiyh authors (and customers?) at Dark Regions press, as reported by Brian Keene. I hope the issues get resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction.
    Have not checked out the podcast but saw some remarks on Twitter. Hopefully Chris is able correct the situation.
    Last edited by Martin; 02-14-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I hope they can sort it out as well. Not to spread gossip as I have no inside info at all, but I started wondering if DRP was running into cash flow issues with the sheer amount of deals they had going on during November and December. It just didn’t seem feasible to run that many deals and keep healthy profit margins. I truly hope things get worked out as I’d hate for another press to go the way of the dodo.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Reminds me of the issues that Nightshade Books went through. I was glad that that press was able to come back, though in a slightly different way. I got some really good books from them.

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Yikes. I have over $350 in preorders with them. I hope they make a go of it! For my sake, of course, but also for sake of fine limited editions.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Very unfortunate, if true...will be interesting to watch and see how this shakes out. I have no money on the line, but would be very sad to see yet another major player in the small press venue (following so closely on the heels of Dark Fuse aka Delirium) go under.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I hope DRP does work things out if there are problems. I have nothing on order with them. I always did wonder how DRP made it work when they went the crowdfunding route.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yikes. I have over $350 in preorders with them. I hope they make a go of it! For my sake, of course, but also for sake of fine limited editions.
    I have two preorders with them: a lettered Bird Box by Malerman and I Am the Abyss limited edition. Their latest email claimed "Big news was coming soon for DRP authors" so hopefully a resolution has been found.

I have 1 pre-order with them for $150 and am currently content to wait it out. I do hope they are able to take care of their authors and deliver on what they have promised.

Senior Member Inmate
    Just Funland for me. Got the Joshua Hoffine photo book and its Kickstarter print this week.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I have the two remaining Laymon books, the Simon Strantzas book, and the LE of I Am the Abyss. Yeah, hopefully they can get things sorted out, that's a lot of money in outstanding preorders.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I listened to Keene's podcast last night and the situation, while certainly not ideal (especially for DRP authors), seems to be recoverable. The major issue seems to be Chris Morey isn't as organized as he should be, especially considering his recent push to publish higher-profile authors. It also doesn't help that he seems to get combative when called on his BS.

On the flip side, it seems a lot of genre vets were with DRP largely because they respected Michael Bailey, and he announced yesterday that he had cut ties with DRP. There might be some lean times ahead for DRP, but I think they can recover and rebuild their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I listened to Keene's podcast last night and the situation, while certainly not ideal (especially for DRP authors), seems to be recoverable. The major issue seems to be Chris Morey isn't as organized as he should be, especially considering his recent push to publish higher-profile authors. It also doesn't help that he seems to get combative when called on his BS.

On the flip side, it seems a lot of genre vets were with DRP largely because they respected Michael Bailey, and he announced yesterday that he had cut ties with DRP. There might be some lean times ahead for DRP, but I think they can recover and rebuild their reputation.
    I sure hope they can rebound. But with so many fantastic people in the small press biz (our friends here at CD, Jerad, the Pauls, William at SubPress) it seems that this is a bad industry to have anger management issues.

The podcast was interesting. I'd heard rumors, but since I'm not behind the proverbial curtain of the industry, I wasn't sure how valid those rumors were. Of course, it only presented one side of the issue (save for the rather ill-conceived response letter), so it's still somewhat unclear what all the allegations truly mean, but the presentation presented fairly compellingly that if there's not a fire there's at least a good deal of smoke. I hope all those involved are able to reach a resolution moving forward that satisfies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Well, that kind of negates the modicum of hope that Keene suggested, that Bailey would field the complaints via a "confidential" email address (I kept thinking to myself, How can it be 'confidential' when we know C. Morey is surely listening to the podcast...?) and head the team's potential effort to get Chris organized and back on track. I can't imagine this is a good sign, but still hope for the best for all involved.

EDIT: Yep, verified...from Michael Bailey's Twitter account: "@nettirw is no longer affiliated with Dark Regions Press and completely freelance for writing, editing, and book design. So hire me! Written Backwards is once again an independent press and no longer an imprint. Let's write wonderful stories and create beautiful books!"
    Last edited by RonClinton; 02-16-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Turns out I was a little rash in my assumption that Bailey’s severing of ties meant he was washing his hands of the situation...Brian Keene’s latest tweet indicates otherwise: “Important to note that Michael is still acting as mediator for authors/agents who do not wish to interact with Chris Morey at Dark Regions. Contact info is in ep 155 of @thehorrorshowBK”

Dark Regions has announced a change in pay rates for authors:

https://darkregions.com/blogs/news/a...-regions-press

Also, I'm going to enter that writing contest!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Best of luck on the writing contest. There were some questions on their Facebook page yesterday about some of the fine print in the terms. I’m not familiar enough with that side of things to have an opinion (it may all be standard stuff), but it might be worth looking at the comments.