Misery from Suntup editions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    He referred you to some bylaws. I think that counts as getting off with a warning. I'm too fragile for that forum.
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Apparently, others are as well.
    I had to go and find the post in question - and wow. Okay then.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      I had to go and find the post in question - and wow. Okay then.
      Pretty much.

Comment

Even though a lot of us here are also over there - CD's Forums are definitely a much more welcoming place. I could probably go on for ages, but I won't.

Comment

Even though a lot of us here are also over there - CD's Forums are definitely a much more welcoming place. I could probably go on for ages, but I won't.
          +1

Comment

Even though a lot of us here are also over there - CD's Forums are definitely a much more welcoming place.
            I agree.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just to clarify, it it has not been already, the first 185 copies were to be numbered in black and the last 15 in red. The blue ink was a mistake that Paul admits was his own fault. I have a blue one. As has been noted, other King editions have different colored ink, The Eyes of the Dragon S/L comes to mind..."26 red lettered, 26 black lettered, less than 10 Artist's copies, 250 red-numbered issued to friends, and 1,000 black-numbered copies produced."

It is a strange practice intended to drive collectors even madder than they already are I believe.

I really like Paul a lot and I can feel his pain and disappointment with the binding error. My question is though, did anyone that got one of the proofs look at it? Is the error in the proof or would that even matter once it goes from proof to print?
              Last edited by Tommy; 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                Just to clarify, it it has not been already, the first 185 copies were to be numbered in black and the last 15 in red. The blue ink was a mistake that Paul admits was his own fault. I have a blue one. As has been noted, other King editions have different colored ink, The Eyes of the Dragon S/L comes to mind..."26 red lettered, 26 black lettered, less than 10 Artist's copies, 250 red-numbered issued to friends, and 1,000 black-numbered copies produced."

It is a strange practice intended to drive collectors even madder than they already are I believe.

I really like Paul a lot and I can feel his pain and disappointment with the binding error. My question is though, did anyone that got one of the proofs look at it? Is the error in the proof or would that even matter once it goes from proof to print?
                Thanks for the clarification. Yea that seems like a really strange practice to me. What I can tell you, is that if you ever get a different color on the number at CD it'll be because I ran out of whatever pens I started numbering the books with...
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Looking forward to my pink numbered The Stand!!

Comment

I have the pens for the next Signed/limited Edition.

BICMMP31.jpg

Comment

Looking forward to my pink numbered The Stand!!
                      Ha! I usually only have black and blue pens, and we mostly use the fine point Sharpie Pens. Occasionally we'll use a red pen if black or blue ink doesn't really work in the numbering space. I feel like we may have used silver once as well.

Instagram

Comment

Well, hello everyone! I'm a 'newbie' here, what with only 1 post! I feel awfully bashful. Well, not really, but I must say it does feel good posting on a new forum for the first time. I am more active over at the DT forum. First off, a big THANK YOU to everyone for the support you have shown to the signed edition of Misery, and to my press. Both here, and on other social media platforms. When I started on this journey, I never anticipated the level of support and enthusiasm that I have received. I truly appreciate it, and I thank you for it.

As I was reading over some of the posts here, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify some misconceptions, as I figured it would be helpful.

So I will respond to some specific comments below in order to clear up any confusion.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        I guess I just don't understand the purpose behind it. Like why would you even have copies that weren't offered for sale?
                        This is a good question Dan, and I appreciate you bringing it up. The main reason for the 1-185 for sale, and the 15 red numbers which are not for sale had to do with the fact that we had a specific number of signed copied, and some of those had to be assigned to people involved in the project. There were contractual copies, as well as those allocated to folks who were very closely involved such as the printer, designer, etc. This is not unusual, and essentially, the red numbers are like "PC" copies.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        Oh, I see. In Suntup's case, the red numbered edition go to the subscribers, I believe. So those numbers are lifetime numbers and they are never open to sales. I think that's what it means.
                        So I supposed I answered this one in my reply above, but no these were not for subscribers.

My question is though, did anyone that got one of the proofs look at it? Is the error in the proof or would that even matter once it goes from proof to print?
                        Hi Tommy! Feels like we're sitting at a different bar than usual having a chat. So the proof does not have the folding error. Primarily because it was produced by a different printer/binder. The full text of the book was golden. We had 5 proof readers and 14 rounds of revisions. So the proof was printed correctly from the text file, and so were the letterpress pages. The problem occured when the bookbinder responsible for folding the sheets into signatures for the numbered edition, mistakenly folded one half of a signature backwards. Naughty binder! I could have sworn my instructions were to fold everything the right way! Ah, but such is the nature of life right? Things like this happen sometimes. We roll with the punches, learn by it, and keep moving forward.

Well, I hope I have been able to clear up at least some of the questions. I may have missed one here or there, but I'm happy to respond when I can. I may also pop my head in every so often, but please know if you don't hear from me regularly, it's not because I don't love you all, because I do, but it's because I have Misery to ship, and I have some amazing books to publish for you!

THANK YOU again for your incredible support!

Paul Suntup
                        Suntup Editions
                        Last edited by Paul Suntup; 08-30-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                          I have the pens for the next Signed/limited Edition.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21010[/ATTACH]
                          Exactly what I was thinking regarding the color issue LOL! A collector's worse nightmare, that pen is.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Suntup View Post
                            Well, hello everyone! I'm a 'newbie' here, what with only 1 post! I feel awfully bashful. Well, not really, but I must say it does feel good posting on a new forum for the first time. I am more active over at the DT forum. First off, a big THANK YOU to everyone for the support you have shown to the signed edition of Misery, and to my press. Both here, and on other social medial platforms. When I started on this journey, I never anticipated the level of support and enthusiasm that I have received. I truly appreciate it, and I thank you for it.

As I was reading over some of the posts here, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify some misconceptions, as I figured it would be helpful.

So I will respond to some specific comments below in order to clear up any confusion.

This is a good question Dan, and I appreciate you bringing it up. The main reason for the 1-185 for sale, and the 15 red numbers which are not for sale had to do with the fact that we had a specific number of signed copied, and some of those had to be assigned to people involved in the project. There were contractual copies, as well as those allocated to folks who were very closely involved such as the printer, designer, etc. This is not unusual, and essentially, the red numbers are like "PC" copies.

So I supposed I answered this one in my reply above, but no these were not for subscribers.

Hi Tommy! Feels like we're sitting at a different bar than usual having a chat. So the proof does not have the folding error. Primarily because it was produced by a different printer/binder. The full text of the book was golden. We had 5 proof readers and 14 rounds of revisions. So the proof was printed correctly from the text file, and so were the letterpress pages. The problem occured when the bookbinder responsible for folding the sheets into signatures for the numbered edition, mistakenly folded one half of a signature backwards. Naughty binder! I could have sworn my instructions were to fold everything the right way! Ah, but such is the nature of life right? Things like this happen sometimes. We roll with the punches, learn by it, and keep moving forward.

Well, I hope I have been able to clear up at least some of the questions. I may have missed one here or there, but I'm happy to respond when I can. I may also pop my head in every so often, but please know if you don't hear from me regularly, it's not because I don't love you all, because I do, but it's because I have Misery to ship, and I have some amazing books to publish for you!

Paul Suntup
                            Suntup Editions
                            Hi Paul. Welcome to our board. I get what you're saying, I guess I just don't understand that if it's not going to be a traditional "PC" copy the need to distinguish those copies from the regular copies. Not a criticism or anything like that, just a different perspective really. But then again as someone who isn't really a collector my perspective is almost always about streamlining the process. For me, the more complicated we make a project the more room for things to get screwed up there are.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Suntup View Post
                              Well, hello everyone! I'm a 'newbie' here, what with only 1 post! I feel awfully bashful. Well, not really, but I must say it does feel good posting on a new forum for the first time. I am more active over at the DT forum. First off, a big THANK YOU to everyone for the support you have shown to the signed edition of Misery, and to my press. Both here, and on other social medial platforms. When I started on this journey, I never anticipated the level of support and enthusiasm that I have received. I truly appreciate it, and I thank you for it.

Paul Suntup
                              Suntup Editions
                              Paul, welcome to this little corner of the web. The perspective of the publisher is always appreciated. You have produced a fantastic edition of Misery and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Paul, welcome to this little corner of the web. The perspective of the publisher is always appreciated. You have produced a fantastic edition of Misery and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with!
                                Yes Paul, what he said. This place isn't as noisy as that roadhouse up the street and there are far fewer knock-down drag-outs thanks to our cooler, Dan. But we do love our beer here. And good company. So happy you stopped by.

Comment

Working...
                                X