Misery from Suntup editions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    It would appear delivery to Vancouver is quicker than Tacoma as mine is scheduled to be delivered Monday. And I will be home Monday while a crew sets upa new shed in my backyard! Great timing.
    I think you also got your shipping notice a day before me? Or that's just what I assumed. But Vancouver is closer to Irvine (unless you go the southerly route . . .) so a day earlier seems to make sense. FedEx's delivery stuff confuses me - either my book left Olympia this morning at 2:11am, or it's on its way TO Olympia . . . still says Tuesday though. Just be a nice surprise if it did arrive on Monday since I am home.

Comment

I don't buy books as an investment (I'm also a weirdo who thinks your house shouldn't be considered an investment, but that's a conversation for another day and thread,) but to read. Of course, as I say that I have SO MANY BOOKS that I haven't read yet . . .

The small press - be it CD, Sub, CP, and others - make beautiful books. Even their plain trade editions surpass the "quality" of the mass market, and I like supporting the little guys however I can (says the guy who is drinking is Starbucks espresso, and waiting for Amazon to deliver my leaf blower . ..)

I'm also someone who has READ signed editions of books. I know, I've done it. I don't own too many super expensive editions (Misery is definitely my most expensive book, and the only other pricey one is probably CP's Ender's Game.) I do try and take care of the book as best I can though. The only press I've come across that includes a reading copy (which is super awesome that they do that!) is Mysterious Press out of New York. I wish more publishers did that - or gave you a free ebook version (Sub Press did that when they released the Wool trilogy - sent you links for free downloads of the Kindle version.) (Actually as I'm making wishes, what I wish Amazon would do is give you a free Kindle edition for every book you bought - I'd even pay full price for a book if it came with the Kindle edition - you hear that Barnes and Noble!)

My book collection doesn't have a lot of monetary value (especially compared so some of those on TDT!) but they're valuable to me. I enjoy having them on shelves to look at (which is why if/when I buy/build a house, there will be a dedicated media room so I can all my shelves up with books, lots of walls for posters/prints, and a ton of speakers for movies/music.) I don't have all 1st printings of my books because my "collecting" has changed over the years from one book each (regardless of paperback or hardcover,) to then all hardcovers (and learning that I acquired a few BCEs that I have since replaced) and now I'm at one of every book from certain authors (ideally first printings in hardcover - but I realize that can be expensive depending on the author.)

The small press has introduced me to a number of authors that I wouldn't have discovered on my own. I've bought books from publishers from authors that I've never heard of because I knew the quality of the production would be there. I'm not able to afford lettered editions and that's fine because when I think about it logically, there's no reason to price most lettered editions the way they are. The book and jacket are the same as the numbered, and the traycase or whatever isn't worth the markup. I know that this generalization isn't the same across all editions from all publishers, but so many times it is.

And there's something special about holding in your hands a work of art - whether it be a drawing, or a book, or a carving, or a paper mouse.

Which brings me back to Misery - I've tried to avoid all the details of the book, but what I do know tells me that this edition will be spectacular. So much attention to make the edition unique and personalized to the book. This book was expensive, but you can see where all that money is going to - materials and passion.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        I think you also got your shipping notice a day before me? Or that's just what I assumed. But Vancouver is closer to Irvine (unless you go the southerly route . . .) so a day earlier seems to make sense. FedEx's delivery stuff confuses me - either my book left Olympia this morning at 2:11am, or it's on its way TO Olympia . . . still says Tuesday though. Just be a nice surprise if it did arrive on Monday since I am home.
        I thought you had received you had posted that you received a shipping notice prior to me receiving it but I could be wrong. Also mine is shipping USPS Priority not Fed Ex. I have had USPS items from California get scanned in at a post office, I believe Federal Way, and then come back to Vancouver. Hopefully you get yours Monday as well.

Comment

I'm old - I can't keep track of most things so it's possible you got your notice after I did.

I saw on TDT that the copies that are arriving are via USPS - no one from FedEx yet (I don't remember if I chose FedEx - it's what it is.)

Based on past FedEx shippings, it'll be on a truck Sunday, but since it's not scheduled to be received until Tuesday, they won't deliver it I HATE that! Just drop the damn thing off!

Comment

I enjoy watching Paul's enthusiasm so hopefully he will post it again once everything has been shipped. Wish you were getting a signed so watch your unboxing video!
            It's on Facebook. He shows all three versions of the book. Here's the link.

Comment

Martin, Tacoma, Mhatch -- thank you for your replies on my questions about collecting. There's a lot of good information in all of your posts, and I appreciate Martin taking the time for his expression of considerable length.

Your perspectives make me wish I had more money to engage this hobby. I think I would be the same as all of you...not in it for investment purposes. Because of some OCD tendencies, I probably would worry a bit about ruining a good book if I read it, but to me, it doesn't make sense not to put some wear on a book, no matter what it is. I assume, as well, a limited edition must be constructed in such a way so as to resist deformation over time (if not outright prevent it).

I have an autographed copy of a King book, acquired back in the day when you could mail him a book to sign. I had read the book before it was signed. I am careful with it, but not overly so; still, I do always get the feeling that I don't want to look at it too much in case the autograph page gets ruined. Mostly OCD. It has no value, I would imagine, except to myself, since it was personalized. Given this discussion, I should try to interact with it more often, and maybe even read a few chapters of it.

Funny how we can get about collectibles. There should be a story about a collectible that is passed around for years, obtains enormous value, and then is opened by an owner who pays a lot for it but it turns out to be an empty box. Could be the premise for a Netflix series. That's sort of how I feel about collecting things...try not to worry too much about value, interact with the item. It can be tough, but it's best to do. I always try to lose some time in my magazine collection (Mad, Discover, old video-game periodicals, etc.) every so often and not worry about its deteriorating condition. Anyway, those are some random thoughts that went through my head as I read the replies. Enjoyed the discussion.....and enjoy the Misery book...…..

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                Martin, Tacoma, Mhatch -- thank you for your replies on my questions about collecting. There's a lot of good information in all of your posts, and I appreciate Martin taking the time for his expression of considerable length.

Your perspectives make me wish I had more money to engage this hobby. I think I would be the same as all of you...not in it for investment purposes. Because of some OCD tendencies, I probably would worry a bit about ruining a good book if I read it, but to me, it doesn't make sense not to put some wear on a book, no matter what it is. I assume, as well, a limited edition must be constructed in such a way so as to resist deformation over time (if not outright prevent it).

I have an autographed copy of a King book, acquired back in the day when you could mail him a book to sign. I had read the book before it was signed. I am careful with it, but not overly so; still, I do always get the feeling that I don't want to look at it too much in case the autograph page gets ruined. Mostly OCD. It has no value, I would imagine, except to myself, since it was personalized. Given this discussion, I should try to interact with it more often, and maybe even read a few chapters of it.

Funny how we can get about collectibles. There should be a story about a collectible that is passed around for years, obtains enormous value, and then is opened by an owner who pays a lot for it but it turns out to be an empty box. Could be the premise for a Netflix series. That's sort of how I feel about collecting things...try not to worry too much about value, interact with the item. It can be tough, but it's best to do. I always try to lose some time in my magazine collection (Mad, Discover, old video-game periodicals, etc.) every so often and not worry about its deteriorating condition. Anyway, those are some random thoughts that went through my head as I read the replies. Enjoyed the discussion.....and enjoy the Misery book...…..
                Good thoughts. On collecting there is no wrong answer. Collect what you want and treat it as you want, just enjoy.

Comment

My Limited Edition Misery has been scanned into the Portland Post Office. Should get transferred to Vancouver tonight and be in my hands tomorrow!

Comment

Just watched the video showing the various editions on Facebook. They all look fantastic! I’m slightly jealous that I didn’t get in on one of these. Thankfully, I’m not a big King fan so I don’t feel I’m missing out too much. Congrats to you guys for getting one!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      Just watched the video showing the various editions on Facebook. They all look fantastic! I’m slightly jealous that I didn’t get in on one of these. Thankfully, I’m not a big King fan so I don’t feel I’m missing out too much. Congrats to you guys for getting one!
                      Oh so that video lives on Facebook?

Congrats on getting your book today, Martin!

Feel free to post pics!! I may even be able to resist looking.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        Oh so that video lives on Facebook?

Congrats on getting your book today, Martin!

Feel free to post pics!! I may even be able to resist looking.
                        I plan to take several photo's of the unboxing. No video, I will leave that to the handsome actor types. But I will post the photos to my collection thread. Anyone wanting to avoid spoilers on the limited edition should avoid my collection thread.

Comment

I plan to take several photo's of the unboxing. No video, I will leave that to the handsome actor types. But I will post the photos to my collection thread. Anyone wanting to avoid spoilers on the limited edition should avoid my collection thread.
                          Spoiler tags my man! And even then, I think I'll avoid your thread for awhile.

My copy is still scheduled for tomorrow - I was really hoping it would get to Olympia somehow last night/early morning, but no such luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            Spoiler tags my man! And even then, I think I'll avoid your thread for awhile.

My copy is still scheduled for tomorrow - I was really hoping it would get to Olympia somehow last night/early morning, but no such luck.
                            I was just over on the TDT forum and decided to avoid any and all photos even though these are not the editions I'm getting.

And I have no idea how to unbox this book. I'm just not worthy. Even at the gift edition level.

Comment

I open all my Suntup and Dragon Rebound Editions from the bottom. That way, The seal on top is never broken. Weird, I know.

I received my S/L on Saturday and it is simply stunning. The material used on the boards is sinful it's so smooth and fine to the touch. Exquisite!

I do wish I could go back in time and redo the day it was announced. I had the rights to a Lettered copy but couldn't afford it. I took the first low ball offer thrown at me and this was before I knew how the rights transfer was going to work. I screwed myself out of a fortune. I cannot bear to look at the pics of the collector that got my letter because I might just have to hobble myself for being so stupid.

OK, that's all the whining I will do on the subject because I am still fortunate enough to own the numbered and man! It is NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                                I open all my Suntup and Dragon Rebound Editions from the bottom. That way, The seal on top is never broken. Weird, I know.

I received my S/L on Saturday and it is simply stunning. The material used on the boards is sinful it's so smooth and fine to the touch. Exquisite!

I do wish I could go back in time and redo the day it was announced. I had the rights to a Lettered copy but couldn't afford it. I took the first low ball offer thrown at me and this was before I knew how the rights transfer was going to work. I screwed myself out of a fortune. I cannot bear to look at the pics of the collector that got my letter because I might just have to hobble myself for being so stupid.

OK, that's all the whining I will do on the subject because I am still fortunate enough to own the numbered and man! It is NICE!
                                Congratulations! This is my first purchase from Mr. Suntup and having seen how he packages his previous items I am really looking forward to having this in my hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X