Elevation coming October 30th 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevation coming October 30th 2018

Looks like Mr. Kings next Castle Rock Novella will be out this fall.

http://www.simonandschuster.com/book.../9781982102319

Interesting! Seems very different from what Steve usually writes. I recall he panned Bachman's BLAZE as a "three hanky weeper" and a book he should have left in the trunk. I liked BLAZE. This book seems to be similar in tone if not content.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Interesting! Seems very different from what Steve usually writes. I recall he panned Bachman's BLAZE as a "three hanky weeper" and a book he should have left in the trunk. I liked BLAZE. This book seems to be similar in tone if not content.
      Interesting take, I did not think Blaze when I read the synopsis. More current social commentary which I think King does pretty regularly but probably a little more obvious than he often does.

Comment

I think you both may be correct on this -- the tone may be the same, while the commentary different. Should be a pretty good story given the times.

I also wonder: did we essentially receive the release date for the Castle Rock Hulu show at the same time? Really looking forward to that. Hopefully it is Hulu's partial answer to Stranger Things. (I say partial because since it won't center on younger characters, it's not exactly the same in terms of marketability; it will have a different feel to it.)

Comment

I don't usually post announcements for other publisher's books, but since there's a thread for this one already I'll post a link in here. As is often the case we're selling this book as well, and we're producing a slipcase for it. You can find that here:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/elevati...eid=a711291b78
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
            I think you both may be correct on this -- the tone may be the same, while the commentary different. Should be a pretty good story given the times.

I also wonder: did we essentially receive the release date for the Castle Rock Hulu show at the same time? Really looking forward to that. Hopefully it is Hulu's partial answer to Stranger Things. (I say partial because since it won't center on younger characters, it's not exactly the same in terms of marketability; it will have a different feel to it.)
            I have heard summer 2018 for Castle Rock so hopefully it will air before this book is released.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I have heard summer 2018 for Castle Rock so hopefully it will air before this book is released.
              Thanks for that info. Looking forward to it. Summer should be a good period for the show...

Comment

While all the focus is on the pending release of 'The Outsider' Simon and Schuster is released some additional information on Elevation. First time I have heard a comparison to It's A Wonderful Life regarding a King story.

From: http://www.simonandschuster.com/book.../9781982102319

Elevation
                By Stephen King

Set in the fictional town of Castle Rock, Maine

The latest from legendary master storyteller Stephen King, a riveting, extraordinarily eerie, and moving story about a man whose mysterious affliction brings a small town together—a timely, upbeat tale about finding common ground despite deep-rooted differences.

Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face–including his own—he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

From Stephen King, our “most precious renewable resource, like Shakespeare in the malleability of his work” (The Guardian), Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, as gloriously joyful (with a twinge of deep sadness) as “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Comment

Elevation cover revealed:

Elevation.jpg

http://ew.com/books/2018/05/29/steph...on-first-look/

Comment

Stephen King announced today that he will be narrating the audio for this one.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about reading this one any time soon. I have it but the reviews I have read say it's his worst book in years. I hear he really let's his political beliefs run the story. I don't mind some of that in a story but I read to get away from that stuff. Interested in what some forum members have thought of this if they have read it yet or are reading it.

Comment

My copy arrived yesterday (along with my complete Batman the Animated Series Blu-ray and a gorgeous Charles Vess illustrated edition of Le Guin’s Earthsea stories) but still have quite a few other books ahead of it in my TBR pile.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Not sure how I feel about reading this one any time soon. I have it but the reviews I have read say it's his worst book in years. I hear he really let's his political beliefs run the story. I don't mind some of that in a story but I read to get away from that stuff. Interested in what some forum members have thought of this if they have read it yet or are reading it.
                          I read it today. I do not think it is overly political but deals strongly with kindness. Some will disagree with my view as it does deal with homosexuality and acceptance of others lifestyles. Some stories try to deliver a subtle message with a sledge hammer, I did not feel that here. Although I enjoyed the story it left me wanting more out of it. Overall I enjoyed it but did not love it.

Comment

Either way I'm looking forward to reading this. Need to swing by Target or the dreaded Wally World and pick up a copy.

Even books like UTD, which to me was heavy handed in political viewpoints, wasn't the detractor from that book. It was the story that killed it for me.

At 144 pages I can understand wanting more. It just barely gets into the range of what is considered a novel.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I read it today. I do not think it is overly political but deals strongly with kindness. Some will disagree with my view as it does deal with homosexuality and acceptance of others lifestyles. Some stories try to deliver a subtle message with a sledge hammer, I did not feel that here. Although I enjoyed the story it left me wanting more out of it. Overall I enjoyed it but did not love it.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              Either way I'm looking forward to reading this. Need to swing by Target or the dreaded Wally World and pick up a copy.

Even books like UTD, which to me was heavy handed in political viewpoints, wasn't the detractor from that book. It was the story that killed it for me.

At 144 pages I can understand wanting more. It just barely gets into the range of what is considered a novel.
                              Under The Dome is a prime example of a novel being overtly political. I also agree with you, the politics didn't ruin that book, the completely useless ending did. Elevation focuses on being kind and treating people with respect, not political differences.

Comment

Working...
                              X