GAUNTLET PRESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAUNTLET PRESS

I was still high from reading Lansdale's THE THICKET when I found myself over at Gauntlet Press ordering the lettered edition of Lansdale's RUSTY PUPPY which comes out this spring. I've never bought anything from Gauntlet and I don't believe I've ever bought anything by Gauntlet and so I was wondering what you (my trusted friends in the CD forum) thought of Gauntlet's editions.

I have several of their books, most recently the First Blood, Rambo books. They are nicely done, but don't compare to the over the top Ray Bradbury editions they put out about 20 years ago. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have a Richard Matheson set on pre-order with them through Camelot Books.

Comment

I have a few Gauntlet lettered editions and I like them. They aren’t as nice as CD non-traycased lettered editions, but nice and the price points are reasonable for lettered editions.

I’ve been eyeing the lettered edition of the two-volume Matheson set. Signed by Barker, Bradbury, and Matheson—among others—but at $500 it isn’t easy to pull that trigger.

Comment

If you like Cemetery Dance books you will like Gauntlet Press books. They are comparable.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm in a buy-first-ask-questions-later mode of thinking. Or not thinking. I'm always happy to try out new publishers.

Comment

Like most small press the quality and grandiosity of their products vary, but I have yet to see a poor quality Gauntlet Press book.

Comment

My burnout of Lansdale's Hap & Leonard saga aside, I think you'll enjoy your new lettered edition, Jeff. I'm not at all crazy about digital clip-art like cover art that Gauntlet has been using of late rather than original art (ala Sub Press, et al), but then again Cemetery Dance is doing it to a good degree as well, so I guess it's just a sign of economics that some presses are opting for. I have a good number of Gaunlet Press titles, and overall the quality is comparable to most other presses, and while I know there have been some grumblings by a few about certain issues, Barry Hoffman, the publisher, has always treated me very well as a customer.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                My burnout of Lansdale's Hap & Leonard saga aside, I think you'll enjoy your new lettered edition, Jeff. I'm not at all crazy about digital clip-art like cover art that Gauntlet has been using of late rather than original art (ala Sub Press, et al), but then again Cemetery Dance is doing it to a good degree as well, so I guess it's just a sign of economics that some presses are opting for. I have a good number of Gaunlet Press titles, and overall the quality is comparable to most other presses, and while I know there have been some grumblings by a few about certain issues, Barry Hoffman, the publisher, has always treated me very well as a customer.
                Yeah, I'm not crazy about the cover art either. I think I'd be upset about it if Gauntlet was charging $500 or more. But at $150, it's a very affordable lettered edition.

And it'll be my first Hap and Leonard book.

Comment

I agree with your point about the cover art, but it is not an issue for me. I just appreciate art covers more. I order from Gauntlet once or twice a year and have never had an issue.

Comment

I can't really speak to Gauntlet, but for us at least it just depends on what's best for the project. Most of our stuff is still original art, it's usually just trade editions / trade paperbacks that this other style works best for (for us).
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I just bought Gauntlet Press' Psycho s/l. Its in transit but I'm excited for it to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by jimimck View Post
                        I just bought Gauntlet Press' Psycho s/l. Its in transit but I'm excited for it to arrive.
                        Great pick-up, Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Great pick-up, Congratulations!

Thanks!

I'm a King collector primarily but this seemed like a must have in regard to the horror genre in general. Ive got Blattys 40th edition Exorcist too. Need to think what else goes in that category.

This will be my first Gauntlet addition too

Comment

Thanks!

I'm a King collector primarily but this seemed like a must have in regard to the horror genre in general. Ive got Blattys 40th edition Exorcist too. Need to think what else goes in that category.

Psycho is a book I have never read. Will get to it someday. I have several Gauntlet books and have no complaints, they do good work!

Comment

Thanks!

Congrats — I have Gauntlet’s PSYCHO...it’s a nice production.

For other horror milestone signed/limiteds, I’d suggest Gauntlet’s I AM LEGEND and DARK CARNIVAL, Easton Press’ ROSEMARY’S BABY, and Sub Press’ BOOKS OF BLOOD.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                              X